Video: Dramatic moment as pick-up overturns after oncoming car refuses to pull in

webfact

24 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You clearly aren't aware of the research around ABS and other brake system developments.

Or of the shock absorption characteristics in relation to speed in crashes.

I don't dispute that the victim pickup would have been better off braking, in as straight of a line as possible, while easing toward the shoulder of the road.   

My reply was in response to the ' when you apply the brake you are no longer in full control ' statement.      Which still  sounds ridiculous, in itself.  The brakes are a control.  If you use them ineptly, you're still in control.

Most people aren't in full control of  the vehicle, anyway.    I see many minor accidents that become worse from drivers over-reacting and over-controlling.    I've seen people roll a car trying to dodge a piece of paper blowing across the road!

A loud ...   American rednecks love them, but it was a Canadian guy who advanced the state of the art in train air horns. 

But I wonder if Thais would be immune to train horns on the road.  They seem to be able to nod off in a moment and sleep through the most awful sounds.

Edited by Damrongsak

6 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Both drivers at fault, the oncoming goes without saying, while the dash cam truck was driving way too fast.

And to make matters worse, the dash cam truck was on his side of the road (or should I say shoulder)!

Edited by MaxYakov

Years ago in the USA, I nearly got broadsided by a older gal who blew through a red light one morning, even thought it had changed a minute or two before.  My peripheral vision saved me from getting t-boned on the passenger side.  She was doing maybe 50 KPH or more.  I caught up to her shortly thereafter, and she was completely oblivious.  Mean scowl, like she had to get to work but someone had peed in her cereal that morning.  My one-fingered salute went unnoticed. Morons are everywhere.

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

There is EVERY need to do a proper RTI investigation. Unfortunately neither the police or anyone else seems to be trained to do this.

Forget the investigation a Blind person can see who's wrong,,,,the overtaking white vehicle ,Shouldn't have overtaken if the road was not Clear/safe/// Always could have slowed and pulled back behind the vehicle he Tried to overtake,,the Thais may see it Different,,,But hey that's Their Country,,,   Amen.

20 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This is Thailand, and do not forget the Thai attitude.

The young drivers sure have it, me first you whenever.

In the country driving I have seen this a lot, in Bangkok,

if you canot drive good, you won't last a week.

Geezer

I have noticed the same thing but applicable to all ages.  (Mostly) good driving in BKK.  Lots more idiots out here in the provinces.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

In BKK we have a mall where 2 floors (big ones) are only for selling amulets...it's pretty busy in there and they only sell amulets or small statues of monks. I guess there's big money going around there , some amulets are very old. The tiny shops are open daily and there are more than a hundred of them.

Yep!  No one ever lost money betting on the stupidity of the average citizen (in any country.)

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a horrifying video. How many times we have all see this degree of recklessness, lack of concern for the well being of others, incredible lack of respect, and self absorption, that causes a driver to be this reckless. The real issue is that there is no deterrent. If guys were losing their trucks, and their licenses, and facing heavy fines for reckless driving, there would be less of this kind of nonsense here.

And why are these drivers speeding and being reckless, in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Sorry, but I reckon the primary reason is selfishness crossed with fatalism, or just fatalism alone.  .  Because this also explains the police lack of action as well.  "Those people were going to die that day.   What could me stopping him just then have achieved?  He would only have died 2 corners later and it is still today."   Why else do I have to ask Thai passengers to put seat belts on in my car every time?

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

...When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. ....

As a kid in Ohio, USA, I lived down the street from a lady who helped film some of those videos.    (Phyllis Vaughn)  "Mechanized Death"  and all that. (Pretty nasty - warning)  We used to get a couple bucks for shoveling her front steps when it snowed.  And she had an indoor pool.

Signal 30:

On 01/02/2018 at 5:36 AM, gunderhill said:

Totally missed  the point, I wouldn't take any advice from the Police here, surely  the point is don't overtake into oncoming traffic, not only that but when the morons do overtake they overtake like tortoises, just  like they pull out of U turns like tortoises.

... reason is they sit far to close to the steering wheel so unable to use it correctly, and on the slowness is that their legs will only go so far, in so far that it like disabling the full use of the accelerator pedal. 

8 hours ago, Gregster said:

Doing 91 in a 90 zone is way too fast?

Yes, I believe the technical term is breaking the speed limit.

Good drivers dont drive at the maximum limit, instead they drive to the conditions, the dash cam driver had no where to go simply because he was driving too fast on one of the world's most dangerous roads.

5 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Oh Really ( dashcam driver) so dry road , straight road, good  visibility, I suppose you  have to allow for cows  falling out of  the sky  as  well in which case no speed would be acceptable. He  wasn't   going too  fast, the other driver is  just a moron

Breaking the speed limit on one of the most dangerous roads in the world is not driving too fast?

If he was driving more defensively/slowly maybe he wouldnt have ended by rolling his truck and almost dying.

12 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Breaking the speed limit on one of the most dangerous roads in the world is not driving too fast?

If he was driving more defensively/slowly maybe he wouldnt have ended by rolling his truck and almost dying.

You are right of course - if he was driving say at 10kmh the truck wouldn't have rolled, so speed was a factor as it is in many crashes. 

But your suggestion that he should drive everywhere at at speeds which would not lead to an accident / crash under similar circumstances is perhaps a little extreme - it would take so long to travel anywhere there is no point in using a motorized vehicle at all.

In fact your suggestion is so unrealistic it avoids any semblance of reality. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Yes, I believe the technical term is breaking the speed limit.

Good drivers dont drive at the maximum limit, instead they drive to the conditions, the dash cam driver had no where to go simply because he was driving too fast on one of the world's most dangerous roads.

IF the dash-cam car was going slow enough he could have simply stopped... but it doesn't appear that even doing this would have avoided an accident as the oncoming white pickup was bearing down.... 

The dash cam car had to leave the road to escape the head on collision which probably saved the lives of the occupants of both vehicles. 

Departing the road at any speed would have resulted in an accident. It could be argued that any speed greater than 30kmh (for example) could have resulted in a roll-over off the verge of the road. 

Edited by richard_smith237

22 hours ago, smedly said:

which is why I don't think this was an overtaking at all, the black car is clearly right over to the left leaving the left lane clear, no need at all to move across the road like this idiot did, he either fell asleep or was distracted and "not looking where he was going" - the latter being obvious because you don't just drive into a car on the opposite side of the road, if the white car on the opposite side hadn't been there this guy was going into the opposite hedge regardless

"either fell asleep or was distracted and "not looking where he was going" - the latter being obvious because you don't just drive into a car on the opposite side of the road "

Sounds like a typical Thai driver to me? Distracted!!!! with what reading the manual on how to overtake?

7 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

"either fell asleep or was distracted and "not looking where he was going" - the latter being obvious because you don't just drive into a car on the opposite side of the road "

Sounds like a typical Thai driver to me? Distracted!!!! with what reading the manual on how to overtake?

By the way . What planet are you from.? Not what country after a response like that?

Has no one considered the driver of the white truck could have been having a heart attack or a seizure...?  I know it's more likely he was texting, and if it was a medical issue it should have been reported as such, but since there seems to be no rules on who can drive then medical problems are always a possibility.  Even if not in this case, it's something that we all should be aware of...  

It really is best to drive like everyone else is out to kill you... 

Based on my personal experience, had I been the dashcam driver I believe an involuntary reflex would have caused me to slam hard on the brakes, grip the steering wheel firmly and continue straight ahead in my lane. This would have reduced the force of the impact considerably and I suspect my vehicle would not have been flipped but merely pushed back by the oncoming vehicle.

59 minutes ago, The Theory said:

It is a very common problem. Drivers who over taking a car (keeping too much distance between) are less concern about opposit on coming cars. 

I'm always wonder how their mind functions about this❗️

Functioning mind-aye there's the rub.....'tis a puzzle wrapped up in an enigma.

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

It is a very common problem. Drivers who over taking a car (keeping too much distance between) are less concern about opposit on coming cars. 

I'm always wonder how their mind functions about this❗️

What mind 

10 hours ago, steve73 said:

Has no one considered the driver of the white truck could have been having a heart attack or a seizure...?  I know it's more likely he was texting, and if it was a medical issue it should have been reported as such, but since there seems to be no rules on who can drive then medical problems are always a possibility.  Even if not in this case, it's something that we all should be aware of...  

It really is best to drive like everyone else is out to kill you... 

Yep i agree Drive like Thais do Speed, Tailgate, Dont indicate, Drive up middle of road. Drive up wrong side of road., Pull out without checking mirrors Drive through red lights Text while driving, Drink drive, Drive with no lights on, Do U-turns when sign say no u-turns, Have no license, Drive with un roadworthy vehicle, Drive in left lane reserved for motor bikes Have i missed any?