Tics in furniture

lowprofile

Ticks, especially in the tropics can carry some really nasty pathogens; they are like used syringes, don’t muck around with baking soda etc, use some serious pesticides or throw the furniture out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A tick where I came from lives on live animals like cattle or dogs  as it drinks blood.

They are not small either...

Maybe you have bed bugs ?

Theyre tiny and bite and leave tell tale black spots clustered  in crevasses and in 'piping' ?? ( Again , they need victims with blood but can go ages without eating ).

Just now, zaZa9 said:

A tick where I came from lives on live animals like cattle or dogs  as it drinks blood.

They are not small either...

The male/baby ticks here are tiny - I used to have dogs and it was a continual battle. It is even harder if your eyesight is not great.........

Lot of past discussion in the Plants Pets etc forum.

I know friends who have had pest control companies come in specifically to kill off a tick infestation.

31 minutes ago, topt said:

The male/baby ticks here are tiny -

Yes, but I believe his point was that they need/want something live to feed off of. Leather furniture doesn't offer anything for them in the way of sustenance.

32 minutes ago, topt said:

I used to have dogs and it was a continual battle. I

There's a fundamental difference between dogs and furniture.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, but I believe his point was that they need/want something live to feed off of. Leather furniture doesn't offer anything for them in the way of sustenance.

There's a fundamental difference between dogs and furniture.

I understood that but as someone mentioned ticks can live a very long time once the host leaves - without any sustenance. I found a baby/male tick over 6 months after the dogs departed the property. At this stage I don't think we know the OP's situation.............

4 hours ago, topt said:

I understood that but as someone mentioned ticks can live a very long time once the host leaves - without any sustenance. I found a baby/male tick over 6 months after the dogs departed the property. At this stage I don't think we know the OP's situation.............

Exactly. The soi dog lies at our gate sometimes.The ticks are all over the carport area and the sofa I have out there. The next door neighbour has them even worse than us.

As mentioned earlier, the OP May need to identify or get an expert to identify the critters and then hasten killed.

Firstly I would have thought the possibility of bed bugs should be eliminated

Either way it's a job for Rentokil or similar.

I had a house where the previous occupier "looked after" soi dogs....on the first day of moving in (thank god I hadn't unpacked) I found the place infested with fleas....crawling all over my feet.

I got a company in and they did the house and the garden....never had a problem after that.

You can do an enclosed tick and roach kill using Chaindrite ..    1 can would be enough.  Wrap the furniture in plastic to enclose any fumes and kill all ticks inside.

Spray the Chaindrite into the plastic enclosure and seal of again leaving it for a couple of days. Then open up and fragrant with leather oil. 

Edited by steven100

Regardless of what path you go down, if the dog isn't treated then it is just going to be a never ending battle. Buy a Bravecto tablet at the vet (750 baht) and give it to him if it is a soi dog. 3-4 months of no host plus the dog will be much better off too. Ticks usually take 24 hours to transmit disease so make sure to check yourself regularly. 

49 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You can do an enclosed tick and roach kill using Chaindrite ..    1 can would be enough.  Wrap the furniture in plastic to enclose any fumes and kill all ticks inside.

Spray the Chaindrite into the plastic enclosure and seal of again leaving it for a couple of days. Then open up and fragrant with leather oil. 

Chaindrite is probably the best solution although if you examine the product description on the containers  you will see the same active ingredients on cheaper products. It'll kill bed bugs also. For larger areas you can buy Bayticol, meaning that you might need a backpack sprayer. 

The eggs of ticks can survive for three years or more. Some species of ticks can lay 10  to 20 000 eggs...  a 1% survival rate is still plenty. After a period of non-tickness our dog managed to bring some faithful friends back with him from holidays, so we start again. 

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Chaindrite is probably the best solution although if you examine the product description on the containers  you will see the same active ingredients on cheaper products. It'll kill bed bugs also. For larger areas you can buy Bayticol, meaning that you might need a backpack sprayer. 

The eggs of ticks can survive for three years or more. Some species of ticks can lay 10  to 20 000 eggs...  a 1% survival rate is still plenty. After a period of non-tickness our dog managed to bring some faithful friends back with him from holidays, so we start again. 

As ww89 pointed out, you need to rid the dogs and cats of ticks  - and we finally have a couple of products that work!  Bravecto and Nexguard.

In my experience, once the dogs/cats are tick free - you will no longer be bothered by surviving, hibernating ticks.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Hadn't thought of that! Cheers.

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

As ww89 pointed out, you need to rid the dogs and cats of ticks  - and we finally have a couple of products that work!  Bravecto and Nexguard.

In my experience, once the dogs/cats are tick free - you will no longer be bothered by surviving, hibernating ticks.

Your experience must be very restricted. As I mentioned, the eggs can survive up to three years or more.  Ticks don't hibernate. You can't kill the eggs, you have to wait until they hatch. They'll be back.

Just now, cooked said:

Your experience must be very restricted. As I mentioned, the eggs can survive up to three years or more.  Ticks don't hibernate. You can't kill the eggs, you have to wait until they hatch. They'll be back.

Fair enough, but having been plagued by ticks for many years previously - I know that there hasn't been a tick in sight for the past year or so.

Why would they lie dormant when there are hosts around?

But I do agree that they will re-appear once the effective products stop working.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Fair enough, but having been plagued by ticks for many years previously - I know that there hasn't been a tick in sight for the past year or so.

Why would they lie dormant when there are hosts around?

But I do agree that they will re-appear once the effective products stop working.

They lay dormant, possibly far away from potential hosts, until the conditions are right for them to emerge. These conditions will involve humidity, temperature and vibrations. They can thereafter survive for a day or two without host. 

Just now, cooked said:

They lay dormant, possibly far away from potential hosts, until the conditions are right for them to emerge. These conditions will involve humidity, temperature and vibrations. They can thereafter survive for a day or two without host. 

OK.

So the conditions haven't been "right" for the past year or so?

But this is getting ridiculous and we're arguing about a small difference in opinion.

I think people over complicate it. Start by treating the dog in the immediate area and clean the house/yard. Any missed eggs from the clean up will not be diseased (when hatch) as they have to attach to a host first to pick up the bacteria. If there is no host in the immediate area they will die anyway as they cant find a feeding (as the CDC states). 

Future infestations will be avoided as there is obviously no host in the area (if treatment is kept up). So the ticks will either die due no feeding (killed when come in contact with treated host), and will also not have the chance to lay any future eggs as ticks will not be able to mate on the host (killed when come into contact with treated host). 

There is no secret as to why people who properly treat their dogs in Thailand (Bravecto/Nexgard) do not have problems with ticks. Problems usually occur as people do not choose the most effective treatments or forget to continue to treat the hosts. 

I used to have two dogs and they were treated for ticks regularly - still had infestations. Nothing seemed to work.

Got a Bravecto for the dog.

Bayticol to spray the general area.

And also some Chaindrite powder which is also supposed to kill the little gits.

I will try the liquid Chaindrite in the plastic wrapped sofa, too.

Just now, lowprofile said:

I used to have two dogs and they were treated for ticks regularly - still had infestations. Nothing seemed to work.

Got a Bravecto for the dog.

Bayticol to spray the general area.

And also some Chaindrite powder which is also supposed to kill the little gits.

I will try the liquid Chaindrite in the plastic wrapped sofa, too.

Did you use Bravecto/Nexgard or spot on treatments/collars/injections/baths? All those things are less effective. The in-laws dog was always infested when treated with those things, but since going on Bravecto has never had a tick found on her since. 

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Did you use Bravecto/Nexgard or spot on treatments/collars/injections/baths? All those things are less effective. The in-laws dog was always infested when treated with those things, but since going on Bravecto has never had a tick found on her since. 

We used Frontline and also did some spraying with Chaindrite.