Former police chief plays down "my job as a cop was just a sideline" comment

rooster59

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

A policeman - a public servant - being that rich looks fishy

He should understand that and that he ows the public

a clear proof that everything he did was ok, by the law and by ethical standards

He doesn't owe the public anything, he's not a police officer.

3 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

An astonishingly stupid and arrogant comment from the ex police chief about how trivial his previous position was to him. He needs to put the spade down and stop digging. Maybe the authorities can check you are all paid up on the income tax front then with all that money you made on the "stock market." 

The fact that he needed a huge loan suggests that at the time perhaps he was making a huge loss, not "all that money".

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just a small point on ".... He said that what he was trying to convey was that most of his income came from share dealings in the stock market that was his own private matter. His police salary was just a minor thing in comparison. ..."

To make the sort of money already on record for this character (hundreds of millions), seems to me:

- Hundreds of millions profit in share trading needs a very large amount of time in analysis of movements and trends and continuously finding a lot of other info on stocks. And quite some time in the actual transactions and the admin. involved.

What sort of profit is "already on record" for him?

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

This guy was on the board of Akira mining company as well i believe. Would not be a good look for the Australian company if asked why this guy was on the board and what services or expertise he provided.

Do you mean Akara Resources the Thai gold mining company?   Where is that info that he is/was on the Board of Directors?  Was he on the board of the Australian listed company, Kingsgate?

Edited by Just Weird

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You mean Akara Resources the gold mining company?   Where is that info that he is/was on the Board of Directors?

I believe it used to be on there website.

Apologies it was the other mining company Tongkah Harbour PLC which he was Board of Director of. That is the mining company that had all the argy bargy  with locals in Loei and groups of armed men suddenly appearing.

Edited by smutcakes
Incorrect post
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

He seems to be suggesting that his assets were the result of his investments, not his salary.  Some people have the ability to do that.

If he eventually became a substantial trader his sudden need for a very large loan could well be the result of a bad trading decision ending up with a margin call. 

It could be a happy coincidence. 

Meanwhile, in the real world............

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

If you have the intention to revolutionize the mindset of uniformed influentials better go to a home store and chose the right design of wallpaper you'd prefer in your detention cell.

Right. I'll pack me bags ready to be deported. Cheers for the heads up, oh wise one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No idea.  Do you have evidence of his not paying it back?

I'm sure as head of the Thai police force he would have realised the moral responsibility of his position and paid back this large sum of 300 million baht to the massage/prostitution parlour owner, employer of underage girls, as soon as possible. 

Edited by Siripon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah huh...

Well I thought he had already admitted to taking rather huge 'loans' from a brothel owner , a brothel that broke quite a few laws that I presume he was expected to uphold.

Someone feels he is above everyone else, his words are to be taken as gospel, and others aren't smart enough to understand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

It should be very easy to verify if he is telling the truth as he would pay tax on his share dealings and all the shares he owned would be recorded

Money made on the SET is (or was) tax free believe it or not.  It seems they treat it as a windfall like some countries treat wins on the lottery or from gambling, which is appropriate for the SET. It is a great way to launder money.

This is why Thaksin did not pay any tax on the sale of AIS to the Singaporeans. We know how that has panned out.

Now if our policeman had inside information that would be a very different proposition. (Maybe)

I'm having fun with this now:

The former police chief embroiled in the Victoria's Secret soapy massage scandal has tried to play down comments he made on TV that his high ranking position "was just a sideline".

I understand completely what he is trying to say. Just like in the massage parlor there is the fish bowl and there is the sideline. Somyot's main income came from his talent in the fish bowl, while his sideline performance just wasn't good enough.

• Like 1

He said that what he was trying to convey was that most of his income came from share dealings in the stock market that was his own private matter. His police salary was just a minor thing in comparison.

Pigs do fly in Thailand. So does Red Bull boss. No wonder the cops here have total disrespect from Thai's and falangs. Be assured that will not change when politicians of Thailand set the same example who have total power regarding their DISHONESTY.

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Is this guy the same one who headed the police force when the Koh Tao murders were being investigated? The names seem very similar?

Yes!

"The country's national police chief, General Somyot Poompanmoung, has said the suspects face charges of murder, rape and theft."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11138636/Koh-Tao-murders-Thai-police-make-suspects-reconstruct-murder-of-British-tourists-David-Miller-and-Hannah-Witheridge.html

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Akira Mining Co.not listed on AUS Stock Exchange, nor listed elsewhere... 

Been clarified the company is a Thai  Co, Akara Resources PCL, is subsidiary of Kingsgate Resources PL an AUS Co. Akara operated the Chatree Gold mine in central Thailand, till was closed by Thai Gov't in 2016. There is no reference to Police general Somyot Phumphanmeuang, being a director or having been, on Co website.. ??