Noisy Motorbike Exhausts

darksidedog

On my previous CRF, I installed an aftermarket FMF exhaust system.  It was a bit louder than the stock pipe but IMO not excessively so.

As others have also stated, this change was combined with an EFI controller and airbox mods.  The increase in power output was quite substantial.

The change to the bike was not done with the sole purpose of generating more noise or excessive noise....far from it.

At a checkpoint some time ago, a very alert member of the BiB noticed the modification and proceeded to inform me that not allowed. Too loud, too loud he stated and asked me to start the bike.  This dumb arse then wound the throttle full open and held it there for some time.

I was not impressed.  He then say again that 'too loud'  must change or next time 'you fine'.

I was thinking of explaining to him that unlike many Thai youths, I don't ride around the city with the throttle jammed open.  That would be a very stupid thing to do in many regards....and dangerous to boot.  However I erred on the side of caution and thanked the BiB for his concern.

I agree with what some have stated about these small cc bikes and the soda can mufflers...  they are just annoying.  A bit like a mosquito buzzing around your ears.  They need a good swat.

Kids will be kids, unfortunately they appear to have a lot more freedoms nowadays and seem to get away with a lot more offending behaviour.  I put these earsplitting crotch rockets in the same category as the loudspeaker advertising pickup trucks.

Very annoying, especially when trying to talk or hold a conversation.  And the level of noise these small bikes can produce seems to be getting worse....

F  All that I can do to change that though....just one of those things I have to put up with in this Kingdom I call home.

One day the BiB may start doing their job and this 'noise' will cease.... but pigs will fly first.

2 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

On my previous CRF, I installed an aftermarket FMF exhaust system.  It was a bit louder than the stock pipe but IMO not excessively so.

As others have also stated, this change was combined with an EFI controller and airbox mods.  The increase in power output was quite substantial.

The change to the bike was not done with the sole purpose of generating more noise or excessive noise....far from it.

At a checkpoint some time ago, a very alert member of the BiB noticed the modification and proceeded to inform me that not allowed. Too loud, too loud he stated and asked me to start the bike.  This dumb arse then wound the throttle full open and held it there for some time.

I was not impressed.  He then say again that 'too loud'  must change or next time 'you fine'.

I was thinking of explaining to him that unlike many Thai youths, I don't ride around the city with the throttle jammed open.  That would be a very stupid thing to do in many regards....and dangerous to boot.  However I erred on the side of caution and thanked the BiB for his concern.

I agree with what some have stated about these small cc bikes and the soda can mufflers...  they are just annoying.  A bit like a mosquito buzzing around your ears.  They need a good swat.

Kids will be kids, unfortunately they appear to have a lot more freedoms nowadays and seem to get away with a lot more offending behaviour.  I put these earsplitting crotch rockets in the same category as the loudspeaker advertising pickup trucks.

Very annoying, especially when trying to talk or hold a conversation.  And the level of noise these small bikes can produce seems to be getting worse....

F  All that I can do to change that though....just one of those things I have to put up with in this Kingdom I call home.

One day the BiB may start doing their job and this 'noise' will cease.... but pigs will fly first.

In both the wife's village and the city most of the racket comes from Honda Wave type bikes. Some you can still hear for 5 minutes after they have passed, which means they at least 1 km away. So, a quick calculation will show there isn't any perfomance advantage involved here, just the opposite.

Noisey exhausts and no helmets...these people are not exactly rocket scientists in the IQ department....

On 2/13/2018 at 1:35 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Loud pipes.

That old chestnut again.

5 pages and counting

Yawn.....

Goodness is that the time?

Must go and fire up 'Ol Beelzebub, pipes made by Satan himself in the darkest corner of Hell.

Now off to piss all the neighbors off.

Do have a nice day old chaps.

ps, don't forget your ear plugs..... Toodlepip..

20170417_115722.thumb.jpg.800bb2dd6742f3f627f5857ee7504168.jpg

Funny innit.  Must be a western thing.  My ML and FL love the sound of my Termignoni which has a deep sound rather than shouty.  Their only complaint was that it isn’t as lound as my previous Versys with a Scorpion taper.   Neighbours too seems to like it unless they are displaying sarcasm.

Will admit there is a level before it gets ridiculous. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AllanB said:

In both the wife's village and the city most of the racket comes from Honda Wave type bikes. Some you can still hear for 5 minutes after they have passed, which means they at least 1 km away. So, a quick calculation will show there isn't any perfomance advantage involved here, just the opposite.

Noisey exhausts and no helmets...these people are not exactly rocket scientists in the IQ department....

That reminds me of the time when I was young. My mother never complained about my loud bike. She told me when she started to hear it in the evening then she knew I would be home in about 10 minutes...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My mother never complained about my loud bike. She told me when she started to hear it in the evening then she knew I would be home in about 10 minutes...

Yep. My mother could hear my Cooper S coming from miles away at night. She had the same approach. When heard she could go to sleep.

I guess it is a question of perspective and where you happen to live. In the wife's village, her elderly mother and other relatives live on the main through road. Every 1/2 hour, or so a noisey little shit goes past on his crappy little bike and irriates everyone. This noise goes on all day, every day and into the night. it disturbs everyone's life and sleep, including her 86 year old mother and the two toddlers.

Now before anyone suggests they move, this just isn't an option, they have lived in the house their whole lives and this is something quite new. What can they do?

I heard of a case in the news last year, where locals were so irritated by these little buggas they put a wire up across the road and decapitated the two lads.

Our pub quiz is regularly interupted by these really noisey bikes, which I suppose is "that life" and point out that we are fortunate enough to live in a quiet modern moo-ban.

My wife has owned restaurant along a main side road in our town for the last 4 years. It is usually pleasant to sit and eat/drink watching the passing traffic.

This year is nearly unbearable because of the noisy motorbikes. If the trend continues, I think she'll have to close down.

My wife has owned restaurant along a main side road in our town for the last 4 years. It is usually pleasant to sit and eat/drink watching the passing traffic.

This year is nearly unbearable because of the noisy motorbikes. If the trend continues, I think she'll have to close down.

Genuine question, do any bikers frequent your Resturant at all?

Or any biker bars close by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't the people in the small villages gather up, complain to the OrBoTor or pooh-yai and demand action? I've asked this question to a couple people in Isaan and either get blank stares or poor excuses. The real issue is that people aren't working together as a community and are too scared to control their kids.

• Like 1

In a way I think it's funny that almost all comments here are about little noisy bikes from teenagers. I understand they are annoying but when some people write about killing these guys that's a little too drastic, don't you think?

How would you react if groups of a little older guys with a couple of big bikes would make all that noise? Would you also tell them to f*%# off? Or is this only something you dare to do with teenagers?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In a way I think it's funny that almost all comments here are about little noisy bikes from teenagers. I understand they are annoying but when some people write about killing these guys that's a little too drastic, don't you think?

How would you react if groups of a little older guys with a couple of big bikes would make all that noise? Would you also tell them to f*%# off? Or is this only something you dare to do with teenagers?

Yup I think it's completely nuts to murder someone because they are noisy. Totally bonkers and on a whole nother level of evil.

I guess the reason why most people mention young guys on scooters is that they are by far the biggest group of people with not only frickin loud exhausts but also exhausts that sound like total crap. I am a Ducati owner and have an aftermarket Termignoni on it. It is not exactly quiet but it at least sounds pretty good (matter of taste of course) and is nowhere near the loudness of some scooters. Rarely do I see older guys on bikes that are as loud. The exception being Harleys.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yup I think it's completely nuts to murder someone because they are noisy. Totally bonkers and on a whole nother level of evil.

I guess the reason why most people mention young guys on scooters is that they are by far the biggest group of people with not only frickin loud exhausts but also exhausts that sound like total crap. I am a Ducati owner and have an aftermarket Termignoni on it. It is not exactly quiet but it at least sounds pretty good (matter of taste of course) and is nowhere near the loudness of some scooters. Rarely do I see older guys on bikes that are as loud. The exception being Harleys.

Yes, a big Ducati sounds definitely a lot better than the small bikes.

But to be fair to these teenagers, I am sure most of them would also prefer the Ducati - if they could afford one.

When I was a teenager long time ago I had what I could afford and what was legal for my age. At that time and that place it was 80cc. At the end I put a "big" cylinder on it with 115cc and a loud exhaust. It was maybe 30km/h faster than original. But with the loud exhaust it felt like a super racing bike - at least for me at that age.

And I am pretty sure this is still the same today with the teenagers and the loud bike. Do I like it? No. Do I understand that they can't afford a big bike but want to feel like having one? Absolutely.

• Like 2

I think whatever the size or type of bike it is a just selfish to cause a nuisance to others and no one in these villages wants to complain/offend, through fear of retaliation or intimidation. The culture is such that it can end up in murder when certain people have had enough... and just snap.

Our local Ausi in the mooban has an issue (going back 10 years) with the woman who lives behind with 3 barking dogs, the other neighbours hate the noise too, but do nothing. The Ausi now has a peice of barking dog software, he points the directional speakers at her house and plays it late at night for an hour or so. "Good on ya Ozzie". I say.

The cops can't/don't do anything, indeed one of these neighbours was number 2 cop in the city, he was really pissed off too, but admitted he could do nothing.

I had a TVR which was inherently loud, I was quite embarrassed by it so would drive on tickover when passing people and houses, only opening up away form people and on motorways.

I think there is a world of difference between a "nice" exhaust sound and a noisey one. 

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, a big Ducati sounds definitely a lot better than the small bikes.

But to be fair to these teenagers, I am sure most of them would also prefer the Ducati - if they could afford one.

When I was a teenager long time ago I had what I could afford and what was legal for my age. At that time and that place it was 80cc. At the end I put a "big" cylinder on it with 115cc and a loud exhaust. It was maybe 30km/h faster than original. But with the loud exhaust it felt like a super racing bike - at least for me at that age.

And I am pretty sure this is still the same today with the teenagers and the loud bike. Do I like it? No. Do I understand that they can't afford a big bike but want to feel like having one? Absolutely.

How up speed "loud exhaust"? ;)

often carburetor adjustment is needed. Well, about the injector is a map change. schoolchildren often do not do it. it's just loud. what for? never understood this. as well as badges amg on some slow Mercedes.

:)))

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 9:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I would tell them to f*%# off no matter what age they are.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:33 AM, VocalNeal said:

Yep. My mother could hear my Cooper S coming from miles away at night. She had the same approach. When heard she could go to sleep.

I used to have a Cooper me sen.  Was a Paddy Hopkirk replica with straight through exhaust, modified engine by some famous chap in Cheshire and it flew.  Regret selling it before I came to Thailand.

I bought mine as is.

Mine was a Downton S. 1293, ported/polished, 544 cam , long centre branch exhaust (barked nicely in the tunnel at Heathrow), 8000 rpm tach with no red line . Pulled 7800 in top gear if one waited a bit for the last few hundred.  A bit shy of 120mph.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BBJ said:

I used to have a Cooper me sen.  Was a Paddy Hopkirk replica with straight through exhaust, modified engine by some famous chap in Cheshire and it flew.  Regret selling it before I came to Thailand.

Had a Radbourne box on mine, what a sound...:stoner:

Oh, last box was an Abath box..

Edited by transam

14 hours ago, BBJ said:

Got any photos you can share?

On 3/24/2018 at 9:29 AM, akirasan said:

Got any photos you can share?

Not on me personally, I don't.  But I did post a picture of it on here years ago under a different name when I first came to Thailand as I asked at the time if it was worth bringing.   The consensus was not to bring it.