Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

webfact

22 hours ago, ttrd said:

Sure - I have no doubts about the driving conditions on Samui which is pretty similar to other locatons in Thailand.

555 - ignorance is bliss, I love driving on the mainland and if I lived there I would ride a big bike at speed with my hand on the front brake ;-) 

The riding conditions on Samui are completely unlike the main parts of Thailand. You just don't understand.

33 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

555 - ignorance is bliss, I love driving on the mainland and if I lived there I would ride a big bike at speed with my hand on the front brake ;-) 

The riding conditions on Samui are completely unlike the main parts of Thailand. You just don't understand.

The issue seems to be that you have by mistake managed to convince yourself that I have never been on Samui...??...

In reality I have been on Samui and have even been driving around the island more than once without to experience any of your claimed abnormalities which require actions which deviate from the basic physical laws applicable everywhere else on the planet earth....:coffee1:
Edited by ttrd

I had one crash in Loei 40 years ago, where there was very little traffic.  Two kids on a motorbike ran through a stop sign on the far side of a big box truck on the right.  Suddenly there they were.  I braked, but didn't lock up.  I had a full burlap sack of charcoal behind me.  So I purposely aimed and hit them broadside right between the driver and passenger's legs.  I flew over the handlebars and landed on the downward slope of a big ditch.  Fortunately no real damage done to people or the bikes.  Next day, it felt like one of each part of my body was sprained.  Stuff happens.  I always wore a good helmet, boots, pants and long-sleeved shirt or jacket.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, TheLobster said:

...So as per my main point on an automatic bike I have tried to retrain myself to use the left hand lever, remove my hand from the front brake lever and hence the use back brake first, then the front brake ...

I've wondered if I could retrain myself, having grown up with manuals.  Much of my riding was done in the dirt and mud on light, dual-purpose enduro bikes where speed was low and brakes didn't do much good anyway. Besides, trees and rocks tend to jump in front of one more slowly than vehicles. 

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

You're so funny, I love you. 555.

Ok - Now our long lasting disagreements start to make sence as they say "You Always Hurt The One You Love"....:coffee1:

23 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

U2,  enough now or penalties will be given. :post-4641-1156693976:

Penalties for what? Who is this guy and is he contributing to the Samui forums by excluding opinions from people that live on Samui ? No, but it happens quite regularly. He's on the forums because he has a business here. 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:48 AM, Damrongsak said:

I've wondered if I could retrain myself, having grown up with manuals.  Much of my riding was done in the dirt and mud on light, dual-purpose enduro bikes where speed was low and brakes didn't do much good anyway. Besides, trees and rocks tend to jump in front of one more slowly than vehicles. 

I struggle with the difference between automatics and manuals to be honest. Now I'm good with automatics, but I struggle with manuals.

• 2 weeks later...

That is the Frenchmans fault imo. Rip .Driving too fast and plenty of chance to avoid if he was paying attention .Asian driving style is Not the same as in Europe . Recently i was on Ko Phangan and was a bit surprised by the tourists attitude . They want me to drive like im in Germany ! .F.O.!  They need to realise that the driving style is not the same as in their own countries . This should be spelled out to them when they rent . They need to drive very defensively and slowly until they understand the style.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Using several meters of the oncoming traffic lane as a merge lane in order to make a right turn onto a thoroughfare road from a side soi could be considered reckless driving, no? I think sane motorbike operators avoid that kind nonsense maneuver because of ... well... what happened. Yeah, maybe the victim didn't react to his benefit to the untoward situation, but this is why one doesn't pull that kind of stunt (reversing for long distances into oncoming traffic) - it could have been a car or a truck and the outcome would have been quite different. The other video link provided didn't work so I found this one:

Edited by MaxYakov