Filthy beaches driving all the tourists away in Rayong

webfact

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I don't think Thais see garbage...they seem to be happy living in filth!

Thais trying to attract Chinese tourists to that beach. Makes them feel at home!

Reminds me of a time when I was at a beach further south of Phuket and I saw this large brown sewerage sleek starting to cover all the water near the shore. All Falangs got out EXCEPT the Chinese. They had no idea! Well I think they had no idea. I guess they were used to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I don't think Thais see garbage...they seem to be happy living in filth!

Maybe they think: "Better we leave the garbage at the beach so we have the beach for ourselves, don't have to share them with *$^#@ tourists."

Indeed, they seem not to see filth and garbage, not even in or around their houses.

My wife's daughter of 20 years lives alone in a house, that sure is the "best" one in that area,

A wall, a gate, a spacious driveway, a small "garden" and a big mango tree. It could be a real gem if only she could keep it clean and orderly inside and out. A mess, to say the least.

Cigarette buds and all kind of garbage around the house and between the plants. Dirty windows, spider webs and, and, and... Thai style, no style. Mom doesn't say a word about it.

10 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Clean beaches are a problem in every tourist area in the world...But there are effective solutions nowadays!

clean beaches.jpg

They have 'em in Songkhla...  This is Samila Beach, right after a big storm blew through.  Otherwise, the water would be a pretty blue/green.

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

Edited by impulse

Map Tha Phut is the largest industrial estate in thailand. It's midway between Sattahip and Rayong City. It has a big impact on the garbage dumping situation in Rayong area, as do the many fishing boats in this region. In addition, there are many large tanker ships and cargo ships that use Map Tha Phut harbour. It's a major centre of shipping. I live on the coast to the west of, but in sight of the "estate", and witness the garbage floating up to the beach at my home. The terminus of the oil offloading pipeline that stretches out into the gulf from the southern tip of Map Tha Phut harbour is on a line directly from this little stretch of beach.

Of course, plastic in thailand is a huge issue, but I believe a lot of the crapola on the beaches in Rayong comes from the ships, as well as, the rigging and other flotsam tossed over from fishing boats.

The other consideration regarding the Rayong beaches being garbage dumps is the west to east coastline that extends from Sattahip peninsula all the way past Rayong and down to Chantaburi, roughly at Pak Nam, before it turns south again. I'm not an expert on the regional tidal phenomena (other than to note it's usually a once a day high/low tide here), nor about gulf currents, but with all the junk making it's way to the ocean from Bkk, Samut Prakan, and the entire eastern coastline down to sattahip, I wonder if this west/east coastal stretch doesn't act like a landfall. If you travel further down the coast toward Trat the landfall of garbage doesn't seem to exist once past the easternmost stretch of coastline about 50Km past Rayong city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

I live in the beautiful area of Khao Yai. I ride several KM each week, I force my self not to look down at the sides of the road, garbage everywhere.

Not to throw garbage on the ground takes a certain maturity level which many Thai's do not possess! 

I ride my bike every day in Hua Hin and encounter the same problem of garbage on the road road verges...it is absolutely appalling and is the shame of Thailand. The locals have no pride and just do not care. I pick up litter every day and now the bike lane is free from litter. It breaks your heart to see  the country trashed in this way.

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

They have 'em in Songkhla...  This is Samila Beach, right after a big storm blew through.  Otherwise, the water would be a pretty blue/green.

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

Someone could try to convince the generals it would be cheaper than the submarines and better for tourism so better for the country:smile:

• Like 1

Reports of filthy beaches all the time in Pattaya and Jomtien

Reports of Tourists trashing them beaches in Sattahip

Now its the turn of Rayong

Just about proves beyond any doubt that Thailand is now a dirty stinking waste dump, after years of neglecting the issue in search of profits and corruption money.

• Like 2

They said that even though it was the weekend there were no tourists in sight.

They called the matter a crisis of severe proportions.

They let a little man take over who did nothing else than promising things that aren't important.

They didn't even try to have a Diamond Heart, such a thingy local people usually own. Or not. Or both. 

They ( the tourists) seem to be fed up with regulations at the beach. Sexy girls at beaches can get raped because the little man said so, they create rapists.

They ( the tourists ) can't smoke, drink alcohol, have fun at the beach.

They ( the tourists have decided to go to better places, without such restrictions? 

Why can't all these tourists and retired Farang clean their beaches and be like their Thai counterparts with diamond hearts?

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

The beach needs a tractor with a rake scoop.

Saw one working on Bondi Beach in Sydney at night a few weeks ago. Did a great job, would be a short term solution while they tried to convince people to dispose of their rubbish properly (!) Problems- allocate money for ten, one will turn up, and the authorities accept the problem as their own making, which will never happen.

• Like 1

Simple, fix it with a smoking ban. 

When I shop I usually refuse plastic bags. When I do use them I save them and give to the maids to recycle. It is funny to see the faces of the cashiers when I say no to the plastic bags and place my groceries in a backpack. 

It appears that many regard nature as one, big trash bin. The rush to make money, to consume and to display their jaded wealth, has blinded many of their own destructive behaviors.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1