Filthy beaches driving all the tourists away in Rayong

webfact

Filthy beaches driving all the tourists away in Rayong

4am.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

TNA reported that a ten kilometer stretch of beach in Rayong was filthy and covered in trash.

They said that even though it was the weekend there were no tourists in sight.

They called the matter a crisis of severe proportions.

No sooner had the authorities cleared it up but more came.

The beaches featured were Suchada and Saeng Jan in Muang district of the eastern central Thai city.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-21

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use to go fishing at Phra Khanong, the only thing i ever caught was plastic bags, just pathetic, every single person carries a plastic bag with their meals in them, what happens after, yep toss it in the river , floats out to sea and then returns to the beach

The Thai public are pulled in 2 ways, do the right thing and dispose of trash properly or do the most convenient thing and just toss it. The latter usually wins.

The Thai public sector are pulled in 2 ways, do their job and spend the budget on ways to clean up the trash or do the more profitable thing and plunder the budget. The latter usually wins.

The first issue requires a cultural shift and enforcement of enviromental legislation and littering laws.

The second issue would require an enormous change in the way the bureaucracy works.

28 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The Thai public are pulled in 2 ways, do the right thing and dispose of trash properly or do the most convenient thing and just toss it. The latter usually wins.

The Thai public sector are pulled in 2 ways, do their job and spend the budget on ways to clean up the trash or do the more profitable thing and plunder the budget. The latter usually wins.

The first issue requires a cultural shift and enforcement of enviromental legislation and littering laws.

The second issue would require an enormous change in the way the bureaucracy works.

I hear you but I think we will have to wait until brain transplants become a common mainstream medical practice like getting a tooth filled before any of that will change.

I am waiting for the follow up to this story of some from some official blaming those pesky Chinese (their insinuations, not mine) tourists. The second they blame someone else this seems to absolve them of all responsibility. How can you fix something if you don’t believe you are the cause? A bit like a drug addict in denial about their habit.

4 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

I hear you but I think we will have to wait until brain transplants become a common mainstream medical practice like getting a tooth filled before any of that will change.

A successful brain transplant assumes that you have a worthy donor to start with.  When is that going to happen? 

7 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

A successful brain transplant assumes that you have a worthy donor to start with.  When is that going to happen? 

Would have thought that most bureacrats or senior military officers brains would be perfect as donors. After all they are almost virtually unused, sort of "fresh out of the box"!

Thais treat there country as a garbage bin only education can solve this attitude but the authorities seem to be preoccupied with other things. Ask a local to please not litter and they take it as an insult. 

However it's obvious  that most of this garbage in the video above is from the local fishing boats that fill the sea at night with lighting in search of squid and shrimp. They throw all their garbage in the sea and in fact even oil change is done directly in the water. The winds changed to on-shore last week in rayong so of course the fishing boats litter and garbage that has not sunk to the bottom blows into shore very quickly as apposed to being blown out to sea and people become alarmed. 

question: "why is there so much garbage everywhere?" answer: "what garbage?"

If you have never been educated about it and have lived with it all of your life you become blind to it. I believe the average person thinks that it's the same in every country on earth. How do change a person's worldview?

A week ago I took a boat trip to kho phai.  I was amazed to see the garbage floatsom throughout most of the trip. So bad it was that in fact. Our boat motor stalled after getting caught in some of it. The seas and beaches are all flooded with trash. . An ecological disaster. The thais want to blame foreigners... but the foreigners don't throw bags of garbage into the seas.. In a way, I hope Thailand loses most of their tourism for this reason. Maybe when their pockets are empty of tourist dollars, they will finally take action to real culprits polluting the seas and take actions to do more than a fast surface cleaning after a storm. 

The problem is getting worse every day. In Jomtien, the trash Is overflowing , some days the trash truck’doesnt come ! The beach promenade is flithy with abandoned rubbish all over the place and  smell is overpowering. The sois off the beach road aren’t much better either. How the guys can sit in the bars on soi 6 (?)  amongst the street odours is beyond me. Second road is a shame of piled rubbish and plastic, and end of soi 9 second road I would class as a health hazard. What is happening ? What is the council doing ? Nothing is the answer.Most of Thailand is in the same mess, though I find the city in Bangkok is much cleaner. How can the authorities ignore this problem which is ruining their country ? 

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

How remarkably summed up !  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bikerlou47 said:

I live in the beautiful area of Khao Yai. I ride several KM each week, I force my self not to look down at the sides of the road, garbage everywhere.

Not to throw garbage on the ground takes a certain maturity level which many Thai's do not possess! 

Why would you even bother if you know that throwing it in a bin is only a temporary thing? 

The budget for dealing with trash in the bins has been pilfered so it's going to end up on the beach and by the roadside anyway. 

It takes a certain level of pragmatism to know when you're pissing up a rope.

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

I am waiting for the follow up to this story of some from some official blaming those pesky Chinese (their insinuations, not mine) tourists. The second they blame someone else this seems to absolve them of all responsibility. How can you fix something if you don’t believe you are the cause? A bit like a drug addict in denial about their habit.

Wait for the TAT's response. A page long article about an extremely bored retired farrang trash collector "with a heart of pure gold, just like the Thais".

Archived