Thailand's culture of impunity for the powerful causes backlash

webfact

Thailand's culture of impunity for the powerful causes backlash

A retired general's taste for expensive watches and bling stirs open public criticism

MARWAAN MACAN-MARKAR, Asia regional correspondent

reuters.jpg

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, right, leaves Government House with Prawit Wongsuwan, his embattled deputy with expensive tastes in watches and jewelry. © Reuters

BANGKOK -- With its political future in the balance, Thailand's military government is digging in to protect one of its key figures, Prawit Wongsuwan, the deputy prime minister and defense minister who is among three prominent figures who have openly flouted laws. Public opinion is against them, but it remains to be seen if they will be held accountable for their actions.

The junta's portly second in command landed himself in hot water after evidently failing to declare among his assets a collection of 25 premium wrist watches worth some $1 million. Prawit's expensive tastes were exposed in December by an observant Thai Facebook user.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has not wavered in his support for the senior retired general -- both men are former army chiefs. The scandal places Prayuth in a difficult position as he courts public support to remain in power. An overdue general election has still not been scheduled. 

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/Policy-Politics/Thailand-s-culture-of-impunity-for-the-powerful-causes-backlash

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2018-02-22

Not a problem at all. Corruption is just something that exists in the virtual world. Purely made up by people that spend thier time on seeking the wrongdoers in high positions, instead of thinking about their own future and possibilities to save money to buy their own collection of watches. This is called the equality of superior minds that reached a point of the untouchables.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

from the larger article: "The Prayuth government is "morally bankrupt," wrote Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, in an op-ed last week";

that is damning;

the force of change has to come from the thinking members of the thai middle class,

their numbers are not yet large enough nor coordinated nor collaborated to force change

And the area they are trying to crush. They only want super rich and dirt poor..they see themselves as gawds and act accordingly. 

Taky stood up against them and look where he is, (yes yes i know he fillef his boots too, so please dont go there). 

All this is no news and why i now consider Thailsnd as a 'groundhog day' country, certain developments are running full steam ahead and yet most things are not and repeat day after day...its one reason why after a decade here im out..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kaorop said:

And the area they are trying to crush. They only want super rich and dirt poor..they see themselves as gawds and act accordingly. 

Taky stood up against them and look where he is, (yes yes i know he fillef his boots too, so please dont go there). 

All this is no news and why i now consider Thailsnd as a 'groundhog day' country, certain developments are running full steam ahead and yet most things are not and repeat day after day...its one reason why after a decade here im out..

Your second sentence is spot on!

I'm soon to leave after 2 decades, although not just because of this situation.

Some years ago, someone asked Lee Kwan Yew, former leader of Singapore about his views on Thaksin, his reply:

"If it hadn't have been him, it would have been someone else."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaorop said:

Took me 5, but started realizing it after 2...

3 hours ago, dahinni said:

want same seats next mini bus trip

With no safety belts to buckle up?

Maybe the joss sticks in front of Government House were placed by someone wishing for a break failure and sub consequent cold deformation.

Edited by Lupatria

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

from the larger article: "The Prayuth government is "morally bankrupt," wrote Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, in an op-ed last week";

that is damning;

the force of change has to come from the thinking members of the thai middle class,

their numbers are not yet large enough nor coordinated nor collaborated to force change

And yet the wonder-boy for the middle class and yellow-shirt movement, Suthep Thaugsuban who is under indictment, is tossing his support behind the current PM.  Funny how that works. Perhaps someone is attempting to avoid a Sondhi moment? 
"Can't lick 'em, join 'em."

Edited by connda

'The junta's portly second in command ...' Portly?

Well, that's one tactful way around fat.

'The scandal places Prayuth in a difficult position as he courts public support to remain in power. An overdue general election has still not been scheduled.'

And it won't, so long as he doesn't think he'll win one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

at the end of the day..they have to look in the mirror, at those fat silly faces of thiers......but on the bright side ''wow nice watch sexy man''

That would require emotions such as empathy, fear, remorse, guilt, etc...

18 minutes ago, connda said:

I see a pile of dry tinder; I see a match; I see a fire-hose with the words "Equal Justice For All" printed on it. 

The next year or two shouldn't be very boring here in the LOS.

Asking myself, do I want to be around for this?  

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Normally investigative journalists would be researching property, accounts, holidays and all sorts not just watches. It seems , to me, that this 'watch gig'   'tis but a rouse, a pimple upon the elephants back so to speak.

Those journalists have had their freedoms dangled in front of them, with a clear warning.    But, it does need to start somewhere soon.  

Accounts should have been locked down days after the take over, now it's just too late.