Alcohol sales banned on Makha Bucha Day

webfact

43 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

By getting totally drunk!

43 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

And driving!

But they make sure that the vehicle has been blessed by a monk first so they don't have an accident. 

Edited by Moonlover

My Mom & Pop shop is getting too clever! They will sell you alcohol on any prohibited day, but will charge 5 baht a bottle extra as a "risk factor". I wonder if the local BiB, who practically consider the shop as their office, pay the "risk factor" as well?

12 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I Always found Ceres to be a bit watery, my favourite was Danya ( when it wasn't banned ), or Al- Rabie....:thumbsup:

It's been a while now, but I think I used to bolster Ceres with some apple juice.

Whatever, I reckon I enjoyed a better quality wine in KSA than a lot of the rubbish I've come across here.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

After a couple of glasses in Saudi I could not see the bottle at 20 paces.......:crazy:

Well certainly after a couple of large glasses of "white lightening" anyway..........which was the speciality at our camp in the Sahara (Libya), although some good beer makes around!

The wine from Tesco (Vineyards) is an ok swigger for those not wishing to spend a fortune.

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Perhaps my village is no longer in Thailand. Sure as birds fly I will be able to buy any local booze from any local shop on Thursday. Just not Tesco or 7-11 which we dont have in my village anyway.

it's hard to believe any villages are in Thailand. your local ran ka will always sell, rain or shine, no matter the hour, too. well, except after midnight, usually, because they're long asleep, not because they're obeying those obnoxious selling hours regulations.

When I saw the headline, my first reaction was to think that the 'authorities' had come up with yet another brilliant idea and were about to ban the sale of alcohol every thursday from now on ! :cheesy:

The funniest part being that I didn't find it utterly unbelievable, considering some of the measures that have been taken since May 2014, all in the name of 'restoring happiness'.

22 minutes ago, hobobo said:

My Mom & Pop shop is getting too clever! They will sell you alcohol on any prohibited day, but will charge 5 baht a bottle extra as a "risk factor". I wonder if the local BiB, who practically consider the shop as their office, pay the "risk factor" as well?

I'd venture to suggest that peeeeerhaps the local BiB actually pocket the 'risk factor' ...:partytime2:

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Perhaps my village is no longer in Thailand. Sure as birds fly I will be able to buy any local booze from any local shop on Thursday. Just not Tesco or 7-11 which we dont have in my village anyway.

No need to go as far as the villages. When we lived just behind Big C in Udon Thani, all the local shops around us carried on selling as usual. And no doubt did some very good business.

2 hours ago, taiping said:

Looks like I might have to go back to making my own Chateau D'Plasticbucket which costs around 300 baht for 5 L to make, using supermarket grape juice. Result not bad but a little cloudy near the bottom of the bucket, but by that time who cares?

Hmm sounds interesting....Recipe Please :smile:

Hey........... That means the bargirls not working that day............ I can take one of my favorites and she can keep all the money I give her and she don't have to give the 300 to the bar............. GREAT DEAL for her and 'same same' for me................  LOL ............

What's "sterilise" mean? Alcohol kills all known germs.
If the level is high enough, and I don't know what that is. I make beer, and if everything, vat, spoon, lid, bottles, tops, etc., aren't sterilized, the brew 'goes off', and must be thrown out.
Spirits will sterilize, but not sure about table wine, about 13% ??

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Hey........... That means the bargirls not working that day............ I can take one of my favorites and she can keep all the money I give her and she don't have to give the 300 to the bar............. GREAT DEAL for her and 'same same' for me................  LOL ............

Don't cheer too soon. Some bars will remain open but not sell alcohol, which could mean just another working day for the staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:
31 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Don't cheer too soon. Some bars will remain open but not sell alcohol, which could mean just another working day for the staff. 

Not in Ban Chang where my girls are................... Just 40 minutes south of Pattaya.......... It is what Pattaya was 30-40 years ago (Quiet.... with Pleasure).............. So many lovable girls (Not 'hardened').............

3 hours ago, taiping said:

Looks like I might have to go back to making my own Chateau D'Plasticbucket which costs around 300 baht for 5 L to make, using supermarket grape juice. Result not bad but a little cloudy near the bottom of the bucket, but by that time who cares?

Run it through twice. Takes a little longer, but well worth the effort.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

They will probably just have it on a different day if they can't sell booze on THE day. The party is the thing, the phase of the moon the excuse. Not like it's magic or anything.

Yes as written, found on the net.

And the astronomical fullmoon date is March 2.

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Tesco is rubbish compared to the Rimping chain in Chiang Mai. OK, not that it has anything to do with anything.