can i just leave?

tlock

My marriage hasn't worked out, and my wife is asking for crazy money to agree to an uncontested divorce (3 million baht for 1.5 years).  I've contacted several lawyers and am waiting to hear back from them.  I'm just wondering if any forum members know the ins and outs, what happens if I just leave Thailand?  We have started building a house that is not complete, but I don't want to continue making the stage payments if the wife won't agree to an amicable separation.  Yes I know I sound like a scumbag, but I offered 2 million baht ( there are about 1.7 million baht of payments left on the house, she will have 300,000 left and a brand new house).  

At this point I am wondering what would happen if I just left Thailand?  I don't need to be able to return, I'm over it :).  

Edited by tlock

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 12:08 AM, jak2002003 said:

If you are not registered as married in your own country then no problem.. Just leave.

If you want to come back here and marry another Thai woman in the future  then there will be a problem.

I am gay, and have married a guy in the UK  Been together 20 odd years. Come over here and its not even legally recognised, so I can go and marry a Thai women.  I can have a husband and a wife!  

This, and all the horror stories about nasty divorces and gold diggers make me realise that marriage is very stupid and unnecessary.  If 2 people love each other and want to be together then they can.... they don't need the legal marriage nonsense.  

I tend to disagree to an extent. It is true that if two people love each other they do need a licence to stay togrther, However, legal complications may arise in the case of death of one of the partners, in some countries visa issues are involved  and the same applies to adoption of children.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Really?  Glad I am not American lol.

Same as in the UK. You cannot register a marriage in a foreign country any more. You are legally married in the UK as well as Thailand. I cant comment on the rest of Europe

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, tlock said:

My marriage hasn't worked out, and my wife is asking for crazy money to agree to an uncontested divorce (3 million baht for 1.5 years).  I've contacted several lawyers and am waiting to hear back from them.  I'm just wondering if any forum members know the ins and outs, what happens if I just leave Thailand?  We have started building a house that is not complete, but I don't want to continue making the stage payments if the wife won't agree to an amicable separation.  Yes I know I sound like a scumbag, but I offered 2 million baht ( there are about 1.7 million baht of payments left on the house, she will have 300,000 left and a brand new house).  

At this point I am wondering what would happen if I just left Thailand?  I don't need to be able to return, I'm over it :).  

Edited

Nothing will happen.

As it is a civil procedure nobody will stop you leaving.

Just leave and don't tell her.

This is Thailand and she can find ways to stop you by making it a criminal procedure.

For example, lese-majesty, drugs, etc. etc.

I did/had the same thing and divorced her in my country, came back to Thailand and registered the divorce at the Amphur.

That was it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of divorce...some interesting information here ...in particular that in Thailand the husband committing  adultery is not mentioned as grounds for divorce...but the wife is??!!??!

Also "Irrespective the fact that the property is registered as a personal asset of your wife when the house was bought, in a divorce you may be entitled to a refund of all money invested that came from your personal property or part of the money that came from marital assets or marital account. "

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/grounds-divorce.php

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/divorce-in-thailand.html

https://www.thaicontracts.com/ask/23-family-law-contracts/25-what-happens-to-the-family-home-after-divorce.html

https://www.thaicontracts.com/ask/23-family-law-contracts/23-does-my-thai-wife-own-the-house.html

Extracts of interest:

"personal assets are automatically subject to an at least equal ('50/50') distribution in the event of a divorce or death (when there is no last will). Only maritall property is pursuant to marriage laws subject to an equal distribution when the marriage ends (มาตรา 1533 เมื่อหย่ากันให้แบ่งสินสมรสให้ชายและหญิงได้ส่วนเท่ากัน) as opposed to personal property (premarital property)).

If the divorce is uncontested I don't see anywhere that states that anything other that a division of existing assets is required. If your wife wants to contest the divorce to gain additional amounts then legal costs will be incurred, and would she be able to actually pursue that course?

It seems to me that apart from the land, which can only be in her name, only the existing assets need be evaluated i.e. the incomplete building, rather than including funds to pay for any future costs that may be incurred e.g. to complete the house.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:07 PM, tlock said:

but I offered 2 million baht ( there are about 1.7 million baht of payments left on the house, she will have 300,000 left and a brand new house).  

Why did you offer anything?  More to the point, why did you get married in the first place?

• Like 2

Based on what you say, I think you should just leave, quickly and without saying anything.  

Ordinarily, I would say go through the legal process to finalize the divorce.  However, in your case you have already paid out substantially, and she is getting a partially finished house out of this.  You are at a disadvantage as a farang, and there are many ways she could extort money from you and exact revenge if she so chose.

Of course if you intend to remain here and possibly remarry here, then you will need a good lawyer and good advice from someone with experience. Otherwise, just extricate yourself from the situation, fast!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

You offered 2 million for a year and a half of marriage?

Leave. Step out the back, Jack. Make a new plan, Stan. Set yourself free. 

Offer 100k baht if she'll sign the divorce papers. She will eventually. Keep your 2 million. 

Enjoy the rest of your life, the Thai chapter is over. 

As far as I can see, returning to Thailand for a “next” chapter of life would be possible if ex-wife files for divorce on the grounds of abandonment, and enough time passes for this to blow over.

Of course, in that case the OP had better make sure he does not live anywhere near her again in the future!

Step out the back, Jack. Make a new plan, Stan.... is definitely the solution!

• Like 2