Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

2 hours ago, Makara said:

I can only suggest this and see what they say--I'd much rather find a journalist or someone who writes for the newspaper to follow this up. But what you guys aren't hearing is how incredibly social our circle is, and how close ties we all have with each other in a round about way, and how incredibly difficult this would be for these two women to scam, mostly people they know without burden of proof they were in trouble or in danger. What I am saying to you and you, will know soon enough, that this is not an on line scam. Something has happened to them in Thailand and of their own doing--mistake--stupidity--however you want to put it. If there is no arrest record, perhaps we need to ask why to the thai police, not just them? You want to know if it is a scam--point me in the direction of a good journalist over there, and let's see who is lying?! Let's see if they are in trouble, or this is just some big ole on line scam. To me it sounds so ridiculous. But some of us have different views, we are from different countries, and things are just different. So there's that. Good night. I am way past my bedtime and have to be up very early. Perhaps I will chime in again. Perhaps I can get a lot of answers for you, or perhaps we can just wait and see.

You have a PM. Let's see.

2 hours ago, smx1313 said:

Please share with me what it's like to live in this world knowing only those as pure and unblemished as yourself.

Where is this magical place where only you and those who shine with goodness and light mingle?

When you look in the mirror do you see a gathering of angels?

When you sleep at night do the angels come to remove impurities from your bowels so your body never emits odorous unmentionables? 

Please sir, do tell us how it is that your shit don't stink?

Don’t get ahead of yourself. Nowhere did I (or do I) espouse to being a paradigm of virtue.... lol... I am far from it.

your taking an excerpt from a post, saying that I would not accept help from a friend in the manner that was being discussed... and nor would I consider having a friend, who would represent my interests, in the manner that was being discussed

if my “personal standards”, which would exclude that type of comments, on a page begging for donations on my behalf, is to high for you, then you must have pretty low standards.... as I would be ashamed of them

Further.... I am more than happy to be tarred with the same brush as those I call friends... I respect them all, as is (or should be) the way of it, and would never jeopardize their chances of getting donations, if it was needed, by going online and making comments like those being discussed.

that said... if a friend was in need, per this thread, I wouldn’t be either begging for money on their behalf, or be wasting time making abusive comments, which negatively effect the whole situation... I would get on a plane and get my boots on the ground locally to offer assistance.

And.... my defecation has the same odor as your posting, if you were truly wondering

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

if u go to go fund me page. lots of comments thier . one from the lady out on bail.  im confused isnt go fund me for car wreck victims.  not women on holiday in exotic country who find money on ground and try to exchange it.  these gals are almost to their goal of 15k on go fund me.  when they reach the goal . will the goal be upped??????????  this is a great scam!!!!  people are paying for thier holiday in exotic asia

Give me a hint. What language is this?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wonder whether the boyfriend in the USA , the one who organised the gofundme page, will be flying to Thailand to give her the money collected ?

Yes after Hawaii then the Maldives.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Makara said:

. You and your buddy's on here should go out and do the investigation yourself if your'e so sure its a scam. Why don't you go question the authorities and find out? We would all like to know the truth, so please by all means go out and find out. One already said he would be willing to meet them right sanemax? So if you're willing to do that start your digging around and investigating why don't ya? Go ask the authorities, go to the courthouse or get on the corner and ask some questions. Someone has got to know something right? Find it out instead of just talking. 

Wow... you are still not listening.... your reading comprehension seems unusually low... you suggest that I think you must be young... I do... your comments are what lead me to that thought, as they lack maturity, or the ability to converse with any semblance of logic or, more importantly, progression

other posters have already clearly posted that they have investigated... that there is no local knowledge to be found... how many times do you need to be told?

the “someone” that has got to know something, seems to be the admin person for the gofundme page.... that seems to be the origin of the claim, and the only source.

as a friend, in a tight knit community (per your claim), you must know this person, or someone who does. Surely even you can see that this is the first place to start.... and again.... any comments suggesting that this person cannot make comment because of lawyers advise, is BS, and insulting to our intelligence.

again I ask you to back up your claim that this is not a scam, by offering one (or two) verifiable facts... surely, as a friend in a tight knit community, you can do that.

hell... do that and not only will I give an unreserved apology, but I will also make a donation .... so right there is your opportunity to help your friends...(if they are your friends)... prove it by helping them in this matter.

Edited by farcanell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Makara said:

I'd much rather find a journalist or someone who writes for the newspaper to follow this up

I have an idea .

We have some budding journalists here on TV

Lets organise a meeting and write our own story and post it here on TV

After all, this forum is linking to a national newspaper .

The girls can explain everything :Where they found the money , where they tried to change the money , which Police station were they taken too , who was the arresting officer , how much bail they paid , when is their next Court case and various other bits of information .

We can jointly write the story and post in here on T.V.

Can you ask the girls whether they are willing to participate 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

Great, I want to believe that this is not a scam.  Could I ask that you please help me restore some faith in humanity?  It sounds like you know some of the facts behind these various questions the skeptics keep raising:

How do you know that the girls had no criminal background? 

How do you know that the events in California are unrelated to the events in Thailand (e.g. that the girls are unrelated to the accused fellow from CA)? 

How do you know that they found the money in Cambodia? 

The photo of the man in Costco ...some poster on TV, I forget who, contacted the police with the FB photo of the Father and asked them to look into it. They replied that the two men are not related and the woman here is not related to the man in Costco, which means they know who he is, probably because was arrested already.  This is all in the thread maybe 20 pages back or more.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Wow... you are still not listening.... your reading comprehension seems unusually low... you suggest that I think you must be young... I do... your comments are what lead me to that thought, as they lack maturity, or the ability to converse with any semblance of logic or, more importantly, progression

other posters have already clearly posted that they have investigated... that there is no local knowledge to be found... how many times do you need to be told?

the “someone” that has got to know something, seems to be the admin person for the gofundme page.... that seems to be the origin of the claim, and the only source.

as a friend, in a tight knit community (per your claim), you must know this person, or someone who does. Surely even you can see that this is the first place to start.... and again.... any comments suggesting that this person cannot make comment because of lawyers advise, is BS, and insulting to our intelligence.

again I ask you to back up your claim that this is not a scam, by offering one (or two) verifiable facts... surely, as a friend in a tight knit community, you can do that.

hell... do that and not only will I give an unreserved apology, but I will also make a donation .... so right there is your opportunity to help your friends...(if they are your friends)... prove it by helping them in this matter.

You've confused the poor wretch now, stop using words with more than one syllable :smile:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I am willing to go and meet them and see any evidence , if the girls would prefer that not to be published , I will respect that and take no photos and so theres no excuses to not meet.

I think the women should take you up on this ..but ONLY if you agree to pay them 60,000 baht for the defamation you have done against them, once they prove themselves. And we take a photo of you apologizing and post that as well.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, amykat said:

I think the women should take you up on this ..but ONLY if you agree to pay them 60,000 baht for the defamation you have done against them, once they prove themselves. And we take a photo of you apologizing and post that as well.

O.K. I agree .

Only if you agree to pay me 60 000 Baht in defamation costs 

Do you agree ?

This are so long story now 

Scam, unlucky, true, etc all that is possible but why can't we not find any facts on internet or why are there nothing about this In the real news media for surely Thai visa could just verifying this story but why they don't do that make me wonder and surely meny others in here but one think for sure this story have meny holes in it

I will wish someone in Chang Mai will go ask news media or police so we all could get some facts..... 

1 minute ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Scam, unlucky, true, etc all that is possible but why can't we not find any facts on internet or why are there nothing about this In the real news media for surely Thai visa could just verifying this story but why they don't do that make me wonder and surely meny others in here but one think for sure this story have meny holes in it

I will wish someone in Chang Mai will go ask news media or police so we all could get some facts..... 

How should Thaivisa verify this?

6 minutes ago, amykat said:

There is not ONE person here who has done any investigation worth a damn and actually knows that the police in Chiang Mai are unaware of this case, that the courts don't know about it, that the Embassy doesn't know about it, etc. You all have been passing on each other's rumors and crap you read off FB from various people at points in time who didn't know what they were talking about ...or whatever.

"I asked a cop in Chiang Rai and he hadn't heard about the case" well that is proof for sure!!  That was the most official thing I remember reading here.  A lot of you are conflating subjects  ...somebody in the world got fake dollars out an ATM and posted that on a travel forum and Brandon posted that on something as evidence that there are fake dollars in Cambodia floating around and you guys are sure that he planted that!!   You guys are starting to sound like you are posting from a psychiatric ward somewhere!!

An intelligent person can consider two differing perspectives at one time.  Some of you are demanding definitive evidence but offering none of your own!!  And then using that lack that as proof that you are correct.  But these women don't need to come on TV to lay out their entire case  ..that would not be prudent.  You are bullying them.  This is their life and not a joke.  Don't give money as we know you won't.  What are you going to do for them when you find out you are wrong?  It is fine to speculate a bit and consider all options but one of those reasonable options, is that they got arrested and the fund raising part is NOT a scam!!

"An intelligent person can consider two differing perspectives at one time.  Some of you are demanding definitive evidence but offering none of your own!!  "

So your saying that unless a person has definitive proof of whatever they cannot ask others to provide definitive proof of their claims.

4 minutes ago, amykat said:

A lot of you are conflating subjects  ...somebody in the world got fake dollars out an ATM and posted that on a travel forum and Brandon posted that on something as evidence that there are fake dollars in Cambodia floating around and you guys are sure that he planted that!!   You guys are starting to sound like you are posting from a psychiatric ward somewhere!!

I did post that about someone getting fake dollars from an ATM  and all I did was to make the connection between him posting that on his facebook and his GF getting caught with fake U.S $ in Cambodia the next day .

There must be a connection between him posting that and this case, so, I do feel that its relevant and I never claimed that he "planted" that

11 minutes ago, amykat said:

"I asked a cop in Chiang Rai and he hadn't heard about the case" well that is proof for sure!!

Who posted that ?

If no one posted that, then, you are just making things up to try to prove a point

So, who was you quoting ?

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

15 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Is Thaivisa an investigative journalist agency. Not by my understanding. Mods correct me please if that's wrong.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"An intelligent person can consider two differing perspectives at one time.  Some of you are demanding definitive evidence but offering none of your own!!  "

So your saying that unless a person has definitive proof of whatever they cannot ask others to provide definitive proof of their claims.

Some of you are going overboard. Asking if the woman had done a nationwide criminal check on her friends in order to be able to make the statement that they have no criminal background, or throwing out her statement, is ridiculous. If she said she did, then what? You would ask her to post it.  This is not court.  Yet, where is your proof that Chaing Mai police don't know about it, and that the embassy does not know about it ...yet every person keeps passing this crap on as if it is gospel and proven already and this is fine with you?  Can't have it both ways!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

15 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Is Thaivisa an investigative journalist agency. Not by my understanding. Mods correct me please if that's wrong.

That is correct.   We reproduce articles from permitted sources.  

• Haha 1

Sorry, for not reading all posts now. here's an article about Chinese people who got arrested in Cambodia with fake bucks. Weren't the two ladies also in Cambodia before?

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/four-chinese-tourists-arrested-over-fake-dollar-bills-81155/

Then reading a bit about Cambodia and their customs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/world/asia/cambodia-qingming-festival-ghosts-prefer-dollars.html

What I'm trying to say is think twice if you want to donate money on their two donation accounts. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did post that about someone getting fake dollars from an ATM  and all I did was to make the connection between him posting that on his facebook and his GF getting caught with fake U.S $ in Cambodia the next day .

There must be a connection between him posting that and this case, so, I do feel that its relevant and I never claimed that he "planted" that

He would have posted that to show people that fake money, good enough to come out of a bank ATM exists in Cambodia.  To support the idea that the women may have found authentic looking fake money!  Some posters made some strange connections with this information, I didn't say you.  Some implied that he planted it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Who posted that ?

If no one posted that, then, you are just making things up to try to prove a point

So, who was you quoting ?

I am not making it up  ...that is in this thread somewhere closer to the start, I am not going to look it up.  But who cares, if I gave you a hypothetical source that is not evidence of anything as an example??  Where is there a credible source here who can prove anything about police, court or embassy NOT knowing about this case???

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scott said:
20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

are so long story now 

That is correct.   We reproduce articles from permitted sources.  

Yes I know that but it will just be nice if someone or somehow could get the truth 

3 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Yes I know that but it will just be nice if someone or somehow could get the truth 

Counterfeit money is handled by the Secret Service.   Usually, people from their home country can tell a fake bank note more easily than a foreigner.   They tend to feel differently.  

In the past, both North Korea and Syria were involved in making fake $100 bills.   The cost of producing a good fake was really expensive, though.  

I once worked for a US gov't program in Thailand and we had a training session with Secret Service  and they passed around fake notes.   The US citizens almost always could tell the fakes, but the non US citizens had trouble.   Those were all good fakes.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2