Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They said already that they found it, and why would anybody be handed 1000USD in Cambodia?

oh i dunno, change money, or perhaps they picked up on the local prostitution tradition

and wanted to try it out in the name of spirituality ?

i never got around to try the latter, but i have change money almost every day here, and have done so for 3 years in a row

Edited by poanoi

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you find something , it isnt "yours" .

Finding something and keeping it is theft .

How are they not guilty ?

I do apologize , i mistakenly thought all the comments were accusing the girls of deliberately passing fake money, so foolish of me.I will re read the comments.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

oh i dunno, change money, or perhaps they picked up on the local prostitution tradition

i never got around to try the latter, but i have change money almost every day here, and have done so for 3 years in a row

I do find your posts to be quite incoherent 

Edited by sanemax
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you find something , it isnt "yours" .

Finding something and keeping it is theft .

How are they not guilty ?

What about the law of "finders keepers, losers weepers"?  I think it's part of international law.

Edited by OldSiamHand

1 minute ago, keithpa said:

I do apologize , i mistakenly thought all the comments were accusing the girls of deliberately passing fake money, so foolish of me.I will re read the comments.

You are correct  many posters believe that the girls deliberately passed off the fake money as real money .

Most are suspicious of the old" It fell off a back of a lorry" excuse

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, poanoi said:

I think one of the few topics that i never read about here on Thaivisa or somewhere else is: "i got fake money from a money exchanger", i think the fines for this are just too high that any of the money exchangers would dare to do this. And anyway... they come from the USA, really no reason to exchange USD in Cambodia. Unless maybe 50 of their real Dollars from the USA for 1000 counterfeit Dollars.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Why don’t you go ahead and educate us then regarding how using counterfeit money is actually totally legal. 

Where did i write it was legal? You are twisting things around. Most of you are saying that they knew the money was fake, not proven yet.

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

What about the law of "finders keepers, losers weepers"?  I think it's part of international law.

Probably the same international law as the 5 second rule?

(If you don't know the 5 second rule: If you drop food and pick it up within 5 seconds it's ok to still eat it)

46 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

They now posted on the Gofundme that it was Cambodian spirit money and the word copy was covered in dirt so they didn’t see it.  

If they knew that it was Cambodian spirit money , thats the fake money that Cambodians put on graves , they must have known that it came from the graves .

Which means that they didnt actually just find it by the side of a road , they stole in from graves in Cambodia .

Add grave robbing to their charges

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What is more likely is that they found discarded the money , knew very well that it was fake and thought to themselves "Lets take it to Thailand and spend it, no one will notice its fake "

Yes, definitely, you have hit the nail n the head. Case solved, got direct to prison, do not pass go, do not collect 2 hundred dollars.

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

What rubbish. Did they say they found money every day, does no one ever lose money?

Nope, they didn't say they found money every day. I said I find money every day. Isn't that amazing?! And, oddly enough, it's always foreign currency that I find in a country which uses Baht as its legal tender. 

I'm not ruling out that they could have found the money, but what are the odds of two Americans finding US dollars in Thailand - and it's counterfeit money? Highly unlikely, not impossible, but highly unlikely. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Not $1000 in $100s. 

They now posted on the Gofundme that it was Cambodian spirit money and the word copy was covered in dirt so they didn’t see it. 

5 year olds come up with better excuses when they get caught eating sweets. 

A wallet containing 100 , 1000 bt notes was found , Rimhart Condo, a few years ago, and handed to security.

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think one of the few topics that i never read about here on Thaivisa or somewhere else is: "i got fake money from a money exchanger", i think the fines for this are just too high that any of the money exchangers would dare to do this. And anyway... they come from the USA, really no reason to exchange USD in Cambodia. Unless maybe 50 of their real Dollars from the USA for 1000 counterfeit Dollars.

A few years ago, a farang was given fake US dollars by a bank here. Old timers will remember .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If they knew that it was Cambodian spirit money , thats the fake money that Cambodians put on graves , they must have known that it came from the graves .

Which means that they didnt actually just find it by the side of a road , they stole in from graves in Cambodia .

Add grave robbing to their charges

I agree, they most definitely  would have known that it came from the graves .

35 minutes ago, poanoi said:

nearly every vendor in cambodia takes a close look at my dollars and oftentimes
the money aint good enough so i have to keep picking up money from the belt
until they pass the eyeball test.
if they got the money handed to them in cambodia, it is well likely they got tricked them selves.
i'm sure i would not be able to differ fakes from true dollars myself

A big giveaway in this case seems to be the word 'copy' printed on the notes. ??

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

The $50k is not for an attorney. Well, not all of it.

It is most likely tea money, of which the 'attorney' will get a slice.

The attorneys that get paid the most are the prosecutors, not the defense attorneys. Defense attorneys can't make charges go away despite their clients innocence. Prosecutors can make charges go away despite the accused's guilt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

A big giveaway in this case seems to be the word 'copy' printed on the notes. ??

lol, then i think i know a plausible reason how this came to be.

the guy i buy pizza from every day has the typical buddha mini temple with

a huge stash of cash in $ all over the place.

i asked him if it was real dollars and he said it was fake

To get the facts correct (according to their Facebook), because the original news here on Thaivisa seems to be wrong:

17.02. They arrive in Cambodia

19.02. They find 1000 USD on the street

23.02. They fly to Thailand

24.02. They get arrested in in Chiang Mai because the money that they found and tried to exchange is fake

25.02. The gofundme page is set up

Edited by jackdd

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Oh, come on, trying to pass some fake notes is hardly the crime of the century. They definitely deserve some punishment, but they aren't serial killers.

Well... in that case this world would have so much of less crimes...

:cheesy:

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Could it be that they pre posted an alibi , just in case they got caught ?

Was this a "cunning plan" ?

*We got a 1000 fake US$ , lets change them into Baht in Thailand and if we get caught, we can just say that we found them and to prove it, lets post on FB that we just found a $1000*

If you, as they did , "find" a stash of money, in a Country that is equivalent to a year or twos salary for some , you would know that that large amount on money must belong to someone , so, you should return it, as it has a rightful owner .

OK, you may decide to keep it , BUT , you wouldnt post about it on social media , telling everyone .

Otherwise the rightful owner of the money may try to claim it .

I do believe that their FB post was an alibi , just incase they got caught

Now I understand the whole thing.

I believe they belong to a splinter group of a very large and well known religious group in the USA. 

Only recently formed they call themselves The Morons.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Could it be that they pre posted an alibi , just in case they got caught ?

Was this a "cunning plan" ?

*We got a 1000 fake US$ , lets change them into Baht in Thailand and if we get caught, we can just say that we found them and to prove it, lets post on FB that we just found a $1000*

If you, as they did , "find" a stash of money, in a Country that is equivalent to a year or twos salary for some , you would know that that large amount on money must belong to someone , so, you should return it, as it has a rightful owner .

OK, you may decide to keep it , BUT , you wouldnt post about it on social media , telling everyone .

Otherwise the rightful owner of the money may try to claim it .

I do believe that their FB post was an alibi , just incase they got caught

Absolutely.