Thailand Protests Gambian Minister’s ‘Sex Tourism’ Remark

webfact

1 hour ago, over2you said:

Well spoken Sir. Why don't they just shut up and enjoy the massive revenue that comes this way. Not deny it. Not condone it openly. Just ignore it 

Back in 1998 the sex industry was the only industry generating any money in Thailand,  and it was quoted in the paper so there U R.

• Like 1

But many on social media said Bah was just telling it like it is.

We are not a sex destination. If you want a sex destination, you go to Thailand. The Gambia is not a sex destination,” the story quoted Bah.

and yet.... (from wiki)

Sex Tourism

Gambia is a popular destination for sex tourism.[7][4][8][9][10][11][12] One of the most popular areas is the "Senegambia strip", the coastal area around Kololi, and is often arranged through local "bumsters".[5]

anyway.... why the fuss (???).... Gambian sex tourism is mainly about white women gratifying themselves.... so my way of thinking is that this is a whole new business opportunity for Thai males... ???

• Haha 1

I would never have guessed Gambia would be a sex tourism destination. For what crowd, exactly?
I have to confess I did not really understand that Thailand was still considered a "go to" for sex. I knew it had that rep during the Vietnam conflict, but did not really keep on top of it, if you will forgive the bon mot. :smile:
Ah, this explains why it was not on my radar....
"Sex tourism in the Gambia attract western female tourists eager for sex with younger men."

Edited by Bill Miller
Further research...

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

anyone even going to Gambia for sex? 

I know someone who went there on holiday and came back with a wife. 

She looked like she had fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Mind you, he looked like a gargoyle having a bad period...

• Haha 1

Maybe the Gambian minister should take over the public relations office of the tourism offices here in the Land. We all know that - to remain as vague as possible - the comment is not completely untrue and unfounded. 
Legalize the trade, keep it zoned and get on with life; the official doctrine here seems to be that Thailand is (and remains) the only spot on the planet where twins are born by virgins - go figure! 

It always amazes me (although it should not) that, as far as I know, none of the numerous university courses in Thailand on 'tourism' even mention the important money-spinner called  Thai sex tourism. If there were real, genuine and scholarly Tourism studies in Thailand, then there would be research articles and courses on this important subject (as there would be in the West). But Thailand dare not even admit it - let alone study it.

Talk about pathetic! What is not admitted  simply does not exist - that is the official Thai mentality. Beyond pathetic!

Edited by Eligius

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So is this a case of the kettle calling the pot black???

I guess this could have been said in the past, even a few years ago. However, as far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong), Gambia is not the destination to go for Western female (and possibly gays too) tourists anymore, due the recent rise of Islamic fundamentalism there.

Who knew there was a sex tourism business in The Gambia?

Maybe this is just a cunning marketing ploy, we all know that the lure of forbidden fruit is compelling!

Of course this all flies in the face, of what's sure to be in one of Generalisimo's upcoming tirades, that there indeed is not sex industry in Thailand.

Indeed, take a walk down Walking St in Pattaya...nothing but temples, shrines, artisan bakers (coughs)

On 2/27/2018 at 11:54 AM, Cracker2000 said:

Since when could any politician from West Africa have the right to claim the moral high ground!!

I can think of a kitchen euphemism but might get crucified by the PC crown so I'll just stick with 'people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!"

So it was 'pots and kettles' then!

• 6 months later...