Another snake in my yard , poisonous ?

gaviny

It's a Keelback looking for gecko's etc ....... he's on the hunt & hungry. All Keelbacks have rear fangs, which are used to kill their prey with venom. Most Keelback venom has very little effect on humans, perhaps some redness, but that is all. Due to their rear fangs they must chew to inject venom. Hence most bites to humans are "dry bites". There is one Keelback that was always considered harmless, but recent reports are now saying that people have had severe symptoms when bitten ...... this one is the "red necked" Keelback (google it for a photo), it is aggressive when approached. As with all snakes they avoid contact & try to disappear quickly, but look where you are walking & don't corner them. I've always admired snakes at a distance & they can live quite happily in your garden. The removal of really venomous snakes from your garden is best left to the experts who will remove it for you to habitat far away from you in the forest. They've just ventured too far looking for food ... cheers.

• Like 1

I don't harm this kind of snake.  If I could I would invite more into the yard.  Wife hates snake but she knows this kind is harmless.  One day she went outside and called me.  She had a large bowl of water outside and one snake was in the bowl just turning itself around and around in the water not worried about us watching it.

• Like 1

It is best to stay clear even from non-poisonous snakes. Their fangs could well be covered in some nasty bacteria and of course sometimes there is more one strike. 

On the contrary. Generally snakes have a clean mouth as they don't chew or tear their prey on the way through - they swallow it whole. A bite from a python for example may leave a lot of punctures in the skin but they'll be healed up in a few days.
Unlike a bite from a dog, cat, rat, monkey etc. all of which have very dirty mouths.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I'm a reptile lover.  I know my Rocky mountain snakes well. Rattles make it easy. Plus viper heads. I handled several rattlers. I don't think at my age I will be grabbing any snakes in Thailand bare handed.    I think there should be a snake identification topic.   I need to learn all the snakes starting with the list of  deadly ones.  

Is this a good list?  Seems like a cool website and e book.  

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/southeast-asia-venomous-snakes/thailands-venomous-snakes/

No affiliation whatsoever. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Could well be https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/striped-bronzeback-snake-non-venomous-not-dangerous/

striped-bronzeback-best-squarepic-b.jpg

As with all snakes, treat him as venomous (no, the doesn't mean chop his head off). Handle with care when persuading him to move on or leave him alone to get on with his business.

Handle??????????????????????????????????

4 hours ago, bheard said:

On the contrary. Generally snakes have a clean mouth as they don't chew or tear their prey on the way through - they swallow it whole. A bite from a python for example may leave a lot of punctures in the skin but they'll be healed up in a few days.
Unlike a bite from a dog, cat, rat, monkey etc. all of which have very dirty mouths.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is not so and I quote a study;

Wound infections secondary to snakebite.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The study was performed to identify the important bacterial pathogens responsible for wound infections secondary to snakebite and to determine their antimicrobial susceptibility.

METHODOLOGY:

All cases of wound infection secondary to snakebite were included in this retrospective study. Infected tissues were surgically debrided and inoculated on blood agar and MacConkey agar for aerobic bacterial culture, followed by antimicrobial susceptibility testing of the isolates by Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion method.

RESULTS:

Staphylococcus aureus (32%) was the most common isolate followed by Escherichia coli (15%); monomicrobial infections were more frequent than polymicrobial infections. The majority of the isolates were antibiotic sensitive. Ciprofloxacin, an oral drug covering both Gram-positive and Gram-negative isolates, was the most frequently prescribed antibiotic. The patients responded well to the treatment.

CONCLUSION:

The results of this study will be helpful in deciding the empirical antibiotic therapy in cases of wound infection secondary to snakebite in regions of Southeast Asia.

All animals, including humans, have bacteria naturally in their mouth, gut etc. and while they remain at their symbiotic site there's no problem but transferred elsewhere, such as broken skin from any injury, and you could get swelling, irritations and so on. Staph. aureus can cause all sorts of infections.

• Like 1

The right word for snakes is Venomous, not Poisonous,  the Red Necked Keelback, is Venomous AND Poisonous. It secrets poison from the back of its neck. I think its the only snake in the world that is Poisonous. They eat cane toads, which also secret poison from their skin. Our cat just had a run in with one or the other, and was foaming at the mouth. Most likely, he played with the toad, then licked his paws. Both the toad and Red Neck I found side by side, under a stone. The toad can be handled with bare hands, if you dont Lick your Fingers!! The Red Neck is a different, and can give a serious bite, even if back fanged, dont let it hold onto you!

• Like 1

Yes I should have said venomous.   Does poison need to be ingested?

Here is the advice I got from one Thai friend. 

Snake trivia

People said if snake crawl slowly mean it is deadly snake. 
Thai belives  if dream about snake or met snake  on the road would be lucky. 

Deadly snake.
1. Crawl slowly
2.Have fangs
3.spread the hood
4 triangle body. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, bheard said:

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, bheard said:

You missed bar girls

• Haha 1

Try not to create environments where they are able to hide, or create nests. The frequency should be less,  things like long grass, pieces of wood in piles etc.. As mentioned by Crossy, treat them all as venomous regardless.. Nasty little critters they are!!

I come from Australia. I see how Thai people leave rubbish around and think"You could not do that in Australia. You would end up with snakes and redback spiders".

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Yep, definately a cobra, someone once posted all snakes in Thailand are cobra's,  :burp::drunk:

Someone I know very well only has Cobras showing up in his garden. When I asked if he knew the name of any other snake here he said no.  Ipso facto visa club card .....all snakes must be cobras.