Arsenal

MiG16

I don't think it's paid off Chicog - unless the Emirates 150 million quid stadium rights money is coming in all up front. But it was on a fairly fast track to being paid off within a few years when I last looked at the accounts. The point is that any business should be paying for its long term assets over a long term period so long as they can get a favourable interest rate. Arsenal have been paying down very quickly by most business standards and the interest rates paid are reasonably ok, so we should have been in a position to release money for player investment (fees and wages) during the Summer. I guess it is the confidence that the Stadium rights bring that gives even the excessively cautious money men of Arsenal the rope to start talking of having money. That and the banners at matches!

Watch out for a dividend policy that gives Stan a return on his investment if and when humour is restored at the Emirates. To be fair to the shareholders they haven't taken one red cent out of the club and while Stan probably gives not a fig about football as a game and while the 'ordinary fan' is being pushed out by prices that can only backfire if we slump on the field, he sure hasn't raped the club's finances like some critics have baselessly accused ... yet.

Good to be still in the FA Cup - early exit would have been a hammer blow.

We have something like an extra 55 million a year coming in from next season just from sponsorship alone (Emirates and the Shirt deal). And that's before the Premiership revenue doubles.

Really, he's got no excuse. None at all.

He probably just doesn't want to do what Chelsea did with Torres or Liverpool with Carroll - spunk a massive amount on players who are either crap or disinterested.

We have something like an extra 55 million a year coming in from next season just from sponsorship alone (Emirates and the Shirt deal). And that's before the Premiership revenue doubles.

He probably just doesn't want to do what Chelsea did with Torres or Liverpool with Carroll - spunk a massive amount on players who are either crap or disinterested.

The market is faaaarked.

For all but the Arab sheiks that is.....wages are insane for the quality players which is leaving us all with what we have.

The market is faaaarked.

For all but the Arab sheiks that is.....wages are insane for the quality players which is leaving us all with what we have.

Speak for yourself! tongue.png

On ticket prices I haven't got much to say, as I've not been fortunate enough to have grown up going to live games. I can understand the anger from fans who can no longer afford to go to games.

I'm with you. thumbsup.gif

soccer-fa-cup-semi-final-arsenal-v-stoke-city.jpg

Getting back to the sensitive subject of ticket prices i note that admittance on the ticket was 70p in 1972 yet on the man City photo supplied by Stevie the price of admittance was only 20p in 1973.

Arsenal football club. Ripping off football fans for over forty years clap2.gif

It is a cup semi final, in the days when the FA cup was held in high esteem, not treated with disdain like it is today.

Hey, I saw the last Busby babes game at Highbury with my dad.....fare, admittance, bovril and change from a couple of bob.biggrin.png

You would have seen Derek Tapscott. My son's P.E. teacher was his daughter and I met him a few times, what a lovely bloke.

He actually took a pay cut to join Arsenal (20 quid down to 15).

And now you have inconsistent tosspots like Walcott thinking he's worth a 25 million contract (and people mad enough to pay him it).

Agreed. Of all the players that have signalled a desire to leave in the last 2 years - Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, RvP, Song, Sagna (I probably missed several smile.png) - Theo was the one we could have afforded to let go (ok Clichy also falls in that category).

Wenger could not have afforded another credibility blow though.

Agreed. Of all the players that have signalled a desire to leave in the last 2 years - Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, RvP, Song, Sagna (I probably missed several smile.png) - Theo was the one we could have afforded to let go (ok Clichy also falls in that category).

Wenger could not have afforded another credibility blow though.

Song didn't exactly pull up trees. So thick it's unbelievable. I think we did good business getting rid to be honest, he used to frustrate the hell out of me.

Anyway, Walcott and Arsenal have agreed an appropriate amount of filthy lucre and he's staying. Rumours of a large bid in for an "exceptional player" abound. Pick one of Lopez, Cavani and Fellaini.

Edited by Chicog

Dreadful stuff again first half. Fought well second half. Not a game I would have expected this Arsenal to win, but Chelsea nearly handed it to us.

Mid table looming. Big clear out needed in Summer (start with management please).

Dreadful stuff again first half. Fought well second half. Not a game I would have expected this Arsenal to win, but Chelsea nearly handed it to us.

Mid table looming. Big clear out needed in Summer (start with management please).

Walcott had a good game. biggrin.png

You lot are hopeless. Why aint ya whinging about the penalty decision?

He should have got a yellow for that and a free kick the other way.

Never mind eh? biggrin.png

Was a penalty plain and simple, even if he was looking for it.

Arsenal are frustrating when they are like that, the first half they might as well have stayed on the team bus, the second half they showed what they can do but it was too late.

Adams did a telling interview this week, he thinks it's time Wenger stopped spreading the wage budget around and started paying top wages for top players, and not 50 grand a week for youngsters that may not make the grade.

I think a lot of people are going to be pished off with Wenger if he doesn't buy in this window.

Arsenal are frustrating when they are like that, the first half they might as well have stayed on the team bus, the second half they showed what they can do but it was too late.

Adams did a telling interview this week, he thinks it's time Wenger stopped spreading the wage budget around and started paying top wages for top players, and not 50 grand a week for youngsters that may not make the grade.

I think a lot of people are going to be pished off with Wenger if he doesn't buy in this window.

You look at where he places his foot then falls over...for me its cheating. I get your point about awarding it but I hate that aspect of the game. If he stood up he was still in with a goalscoring opportunity.

Fans of all clubs are getting anxious about signings....you're not alone....for once!

Absolutely. His egaltarian attitude is completely outmoded in today's environment and results in us having sold only one player (other than those who forced their way out) in three years. There's a whole lot of them spread around the world on loan, probably because no one will take on their wages - 12 to be precise, including only 3 who are youngsters gaining experience. It's not as though the policy seems to have bred any significant degree of loyalty.

We still have Denilsson on the books <deleted>. Just another aspect of Wenger's style that irritates me no end. Another old man who will not change.whistling.gif

You would have seen Derek Tapscott. My son's P.E. teacher was his daughter and I met him a few times, what a lovely bloke.

And now you have inconsistent tosspots like Walcott thinking he's worth a 25 million contract (and people mad enough to pay him it).

Tapscott was a good player and in that team you had Stan Charlton and Vic Groves, who you nicked from the O's! biggrin.png

Tapscott was a good player and in that team you had Stan Charlton and Vic Groves, who you nicked from the O's! biggrin.png

It was fascinating talking to him about Duncan Edwards, I was too young to have seen him play, and I've always wondered what made him so special. Derek's words? "He was a tank, no-one could get the bloody ball off him!".

I really don't understand why the Arsenal fans are having a go at Wenger when it is clear you are in transition,the players you have lost or sold and teh new team surely needs time and in certain games this year they have been outstanding to watch,just need the consistency back and i am sure Mr Wenger will prove all the critics wrong.

I don't understand them either. I think we picked up these glory hunters when Wenger started winning things, and they have memories like mosquitoes with ADHD. They are in the minority, though.

You obviously werent around Chicog for the exchange of postings last year about Wenger when the likes of Mr Red agreed they we only posting supportive comments about him because they hoped Arsenal stick with him (because that waty we keep losing to them!)

I dont mind being called a glory hunter - but there has been not one wiff of glory (more than a couple of seasons of pretty footbal that never seemd to quite go anywhere) since I started supporting them in earnest 5 years ago!

Maybe youll be right and Ill have to eat my words. I hope so for the clubs sake since blind loyalty of a substantial portion of the fan base seems to be consigning us to stick with him through thin and thinner.

I really don't understand why the Arsenal fans are having a go at Wenger when it is clear you are in transition,the players you have lost or sold and teh new team surely needs time and in certain games this year they have been outstanding to watch,just need the consistency back and i am sure Mr Wenger will prove all the critics wrong.

snapback.pngMrRed, on 2011-02-28 21:50:58, said:

i am thinking that Mr Wenger should be looking over his shoulder,time is a United thing and lets be honest he is living in the past now.....shame really because he could of been a good coach :whistling: ....see ya Arse

So which way will the wind and your opinions be blowing tomorrow Mr Rag? thumbsup.gif