Arsenal

MiG16

2 hours ago, champers said:

Could Arsenal be this years dark horses?  They have looked pretty good since their Liverpool pasting. The last 2 sides to win the Prem had no European commitments. 5 of the "top 6" are in Champs Lge and Arsenal are just playing their kids and fringe players in the Europa League. Looks like Sanchez won't be playing at the World Cup, so he can give it full throttle in the Prem.

They are in for a pasting from the top three clubs I reckon.

Had to laugh when TV co-commentator on Bein/True referred to Arsenal showing no signs of tiredness against Brighton after their long journey into Europe for Thursday's' Bate game. I'm sure his briefing notes would have told him that the overlap between the two teams was essentially 2 - Holding and Mustafi.

Even Wenger perpetuated the myth by commenting that we slowed down in the 2nd half "after a difficult trip to Bate". As far as I know most of last nights starting line up didn't even fly there (our bench at Bate was all academy). Maybe he's referring to his late substitutes last night (Giroud, Walcott and Elneney) being too tired to add any late impetus - which looked true, now I think about it.

Can't see anybody stopping Citeh, Man U still untested against senior opposition, but look well resourced. Chelsea and Tottenham look more talented man for man against our squad except for Czech, Kalashnikov and Sanchez. Its' gonna be another battle for the '4th place cup' but Arsene has made that his life's work in the last decade!  As always injuries can completely change that landscape. I don't discount Arsenal winning the second tier Euro thing, but Dortmund or Bayern will probably eject us at the knockout stage, as per usual.

As for us - better - no doubt. I worry about the strength in depth of our defense. Cannot believe that Arsene 'strengthened it', only to the tune of minus one in Summer. Kalashnikov in (a major plus I grant you); Gibbs and that open-mouthed Brazilian guy, whose name I forget already, out. Calumn Chambers and Mathieu Debuchy make the listing of defenders look long enough, but don't count as even B team, mostly die to recurring injury persuasion. Have not seen a decent genuine defender amongst the academy Milk Cup cameo performers either.

Getting that incredible feeling of deja vu

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Had to laugh when TV co-commentator on Bein/True referred to Arsenal showing no signs of tiredness against Brighton after their long journey into Europe for Thursday's' Bate game. I'm sure his briefing notes would have told him that the overlap between the two teams was essentially 2 - Holding and Mustafi.

Even Wenger perpetuated the myth by commenting that we slowed down in the 2nd half "after a difficult trip to Bate". As far as I know most of last nights starting line up didn't even fly there (our bench at Bate was all academy). Maybe he's referring to his late substitutes last night (Giroud, Walcott and Elneney) being too tired to add any late impetus - which looked true, now I think about it.

Can't see anybody stopping Citeh, Man U still untested against senior opposition, but look well resourced. Chelsea and Tottenham look more talented man for man against our squad except for Czech, Kalashnikov and Sanchez. Its' gonna be another battle for the '4th place cup' but Arsene has made that his life's work in the last decade!  As always injuries can completely change that landscape. I don't discount Arsenal winning the second tier Euro thing, but Dortmund or Bayern will probably eject us at the knockout stage, as per usual.

As for us - better - no doubt. I worry about the strength in depth of our defense. Cannot believe that Arsene 'strengthened it', only to the tune of minus one in Summer. Kalashnikov in (a major plus I grant you); Gibbs and that open-mouthed Brazilian guy, whose name I forget already, out. Calumn Chambers and Mathieu Debuchy make the listing of defenders look long enough, but don't count as even B team, mostly die to recurring injury persuasion. Have not seen a decent genuine defender amongst the academy Milk Cup cameo performers either.

Getting that incredible feeling of deja vu

Do you think Arsenal's defence would be better if "Kalashnikov" and Monreal swapped places?

A good thought that.

If Kalasinac is the sort who can accept instructions to stay focussed on defence then maybe that would work. I don't have much regard for Monreal as a defender, though he's been a bit better at deadball situations this season. But Kalasinac looks like such a talent at all areas of the left side/left centre of the pitch that best thing would likely be to drop Monreal into the Europa League team when Koscielney is back fit and buy a Koscielney strong tall experienced left-sided cover guy at the January window.

I just don't get a good feeling that anyone is coaching the Arsenal defense, but then I'm a bit old school - to me the very phrase wing-backs is an oxymoron! Makes for attractive viewing but IMO the truly world-class teams have always been and still are built on strong defenders who stay defence-minded.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathetic Arsenal first half display. Significant lack of midfield creativity at present. Pathetic moaning by Wenger against a softish but understandable penalty decision. Looks more like an unravelling season than a dark horse season to me Ronnie!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Pathetic Arsenal first half display. Significant lack of midfield creativity at present. Pathetic moaning by Wenger against a softish but understandable penalty decision. Looks more like an unravelling season than a dark horse season to me Ronnie!

The worst part of that for Arsenal fans was the lack of fight.  We expect that from the pathetic Ozil that Wenger wants to reward with a 250k a week contract but you have thought the others wouldn't allow themselves to be pushed around by Watford.

Now that Wenger's awarded himself another hugely lucrative two year contract because he was never going to leave, he's far too arrogant and stubborn, it seems like its going to continue to go downhill until he completely loses the dressing room.  :smile:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Yes he just glossed over the root of the problem and blamed it on what was, i agree a rather soft penalty.

Hallelujah - Alexis and Ozil actually want to play for Arsenal - for a couple of months anyway! even 2 months of football like that should save us from an ignominious season (but our back line defence is still not good enough for top 4 - Koscielney is getting slower, Mertesacker geriatric and Monreal too adventurous and error prone).

Hopefully Wenger can persuade Ozil to stay until summer so that he can continue to impress in a set-up he knows - given that he has a job to do to secure a place in the German WC squad. Alexis will no doubt be knocked down to the highest non-UK bidder.

2 minutes ago, champers said:

I think Sanchez might end up at Bayern Munich with his mate Vidal. Ribery and Robben are both getting on a bit.

Yeah thats a good shout.  And could Arsenal bare to allow another of their players to join City?

It appears Carlo Ancelotti have major gripes about inactivity in the transfer market and being told to select Robben and Ribery even though their form didn't warrant a place

Edited by carmine

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yeah thats a good shout.  And could Arsenal bare to allow another of their players to join City?

It appears Carlo Ancelotti have major gripes about inactivity in the transfer market and being told to select Robben and Ribery even though their form didn't warrant a place

Ancellotti has gone now and Otmar Hitzfeld is back again. He won the treble with Bayern in his last season there (2013?) so should have a free hand. With his contract up at the end of the season, Sanchez won't cost too much. 30 mill max?

Just now, champers said:

Ancellotti has gone now and Otmar Hitzfeld is back again. He won the treble with Bayern in his last season there (2013?) so should have a free hand. With his contract up at the end of the season, Sanchez won't cost too much. 30 mill max?

You mean Jupp Hynckers.  Maybe less than 30m now but i doubt Bayern would pay the wages that City will.  

10 minutes ago, carmine said:

You mean Jupp Hynckers.  Maybe less than 30m now but i doubt Bayern would pay the wages that City will.  

Of course, Heynckes. Beg your pardon.

Levandowski must be on a good whack; no-one has prised him away. It will be interesting to see in January. Chile are out of the WC so he will be giving his all wherever he goes.

Good and deserved goal yesterday. Reminded me a bit of the goal George Best scored against Sheff Utd in the early 70s.

Edited by champers

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'd be happy with that. Don't get me wrong, Sanchez is a top player but I reckon it would upset the apple cart if he came in Jan. We are doing OK and have decent depth. I don't think we need him

In accord with that. He's a wonderful player but has shown some brattiness at times. 

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'd be happy with that. Don't get me wrong, Sanchez is a top player but I reckon it would upset the apple cart if he came in Jan. We are doing OK and have decent depth. I don't think we need him

You could do with a big strong centre forward; just as a plan B. Cavani would fit the bill but PSG would never sell him to City.

22 minutes ago, champers said:

You could do with a big strong centre forward; just as a plan B. Cavani would fit the bill but PSG would never sell him to City.

I can't see the need. Unless that big strong centre forward can run like the wind Pep wouldn't want him. Zlatan and Pep were an odd couple at Barcelona. What City could use is some cover in the back. The defense has been great to this point but an injury or two in the back could prove troublesome.

Edited by jellydog

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

can clearly recall our discussion when M/city missed out on Sanchez,u were hellbent  that City would get him in the summer t/f window,now with your lofty position,you have clearly changed your call, in my view Sanchez joining would be icing on the cake for your final assult to snavel the EPL title,the only apple carts he would knock over ,would be your closest contenders ,one way or another ,sure the top guns would welcome such a classy player with open arms in the dressing shed, clear your head Mr B/J:smile:

2 hours ago, jellydog said:

In accord with that. He's a wonderful player but has shown some brattiness at times. 

and to your whims . never smiles:smile: