Durian Farm Pesticide, how often do they have to spray Bayer Monsanto, Syngenta, Dupont, Dow Chemical... ?

Hello,

I am interested to rent a small bungalow located in a durian farm.

Do you know how often durian farmers need to spray chemicals and pesticides in a year ?

Is it something that they will do weekly, monthly, or only when the fruits start to show ?

Durian fruits can be harvested only once a year if I am right ?

Please help me to decide if it will be possible for me to escape from the place when they will spray their poison, or if it is something that they will do too often, making it impossible to plan ?

I know that I can ask the farmer, but as he pretends to not even know that pesticides are dangerous, it's hard to believe that I will get a true reply...

Thanks.

I think yes they do some exfoliar spray on the flowers which is hormone type treatment, as well as injections to tree and the most dangerous injections to fruit.

There are some burrowing wasps which I think they also do exfoliar spray to the fruits to prevent but not certain of the chemicals.

Other than that all durian farms I have seen keep them well spaced and keep grass, so no roundup or similar used.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, surfdog said:

I think yes they do some exfoliar spray on the flowers which is hormone type treatment, as well as injections to tree and the most dangerous injections to fruit.

There are some burrowing wasps which I think they also do exfoliar spray to the fruits to prevent but not certain of the chemicals.

Other than that all durian farms I have seen keep them well spaced and keep grass, so no roundup or similar used.

Thank you, yes, I was wondering about roundup glyphosate and other poisons that are so bad for people who breathe around.  If trees have grass around it means that they do not use this ?

So you think that living in a durian farm should not be dangerous ?

And anyway they won't spray all year long ?

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, surfdog said:

you can always just ask them, or look at the farm, it's pretty obvious who uses roundup because weeds just don't naturally up and all die and turn to brown at the same time.

Weeds are everywhere in this farm, so maybe it's fine.

I do not understand what are the other products that you spoke about, can they be dangerous even if they don't kill weeds ?

Thanks again.

don’t know much more about the stuff they spray on flowers and fruit, but the ripening agent they inject into Durians to go ripe in off season are dangerous to eat, having ate some before gave really bad headaches. Durian is a huge business, cost of chemicals is nothing compared to profit, so if it will help they’ll likely do it.

There are many small growers that just let durian do its thing though, accept loss from wasps and poor pollination