Flower stalks for florist?

CLW

Does anyone think these flower stalks have any value to be sold at a market catering for florists?

They are flowers of napier grass.

I have around 500 of them available.

I've seen similar flowers sometimes dried and used for decoration.

IMG_20180228_45648.jpg

I guess they could be included in an arrangement bunch of flowers and would look good.

Asking a nurse at a hospital would be a good start.

Flowers and nurseries were unseen in issan 10 years ago,now there everywhere.

I was looking today in one for hedge plants for boundary fence,3 baht a pop. 

• Like 1

I  told management, the wife about Nappier grass flowers, the first thing she said you could use them , but will they itch you if they rub against any skin ,if so thay will not be used . Thai thinking. 

But I still have my doubts if thay  will be used ,this being Thailand, not-what- we -are -use -to, ect .

Now for the thousand baht question ,how did you get your Nappier grass to flower ,we have a lot around here ,only ever seen  1-2  plants in flower ,are you sure it is not Elephant grass , similar to Nappier , that will flower if it gets to old ,and then not a lot of use as a cattle feed .

• Like 1

I  told management, the wife about Nappier grass flowers, the first thing she said you could use them , but will they itch you if they rub against any skin ,if so thay will not be used . Thai thinking. 
But I still have my doubts if thay  will be used ,this being Thailand, not-what- we -are -use -to, ect .
Now for the thousand baht question ,how did you get your Nappier grass to flower ,we have a lot around here ,only ever seen  1-2  plants in flower ,are you sure it is not Elephant grass , similar to Nappier , that will flower if it gets to old ,and then not a lot of use as a cattle feed .

To first part, to me it didn't feel itchy and I'm very sensitive to grasses.
But I put it on the drying shelf and it seems to loose the seeds when it gets dry.
Not what you want to have in your room.

Secondly, I'm quite sure it is Pak Chong Variety of napier grass.
Actually elephant grass is just another common name of napier grass.
The age is now 45 days after the last cutting. It did grow very fast because of irrigation and a lot of fertiliser.
Agree with you, it is too large already for animal feed. The stem leaf ratio is about 2:1.

CLW

A look at the internet and it says they  are both Pennisetum Purpureum as you said same verity,but in practical terms they are very different.

About 12 years ago a Thai  friend of mine worked at the DPO at Mortlec ,got given some Elaphant grass ,and he gave me some cuttings  ,our land then was light and stony ,free draining it grew well we did not  have a lot  then 1/2 rie ,we  cut and cart it ,and some  did flower,it  clumped well ,did not grow that tall .

Then we moved to our present place and some Elaphant grass  came with us ,on our black ex-rice paddy land we planted 1 rie ,this was June time ,the right time for the rains ,that was it, just died to land wet,

This. was what I  called  pre Nappier grass  time , about 2 years after this  Nappier grass arrived ,not  a Packchon  verity ,first  verity was King Nappier, that lasted about 2-3 years ,grew well ,but it  itched the cutters big time ,so that went ,I  then got some Nappier Taiwan ,on my land that grew well ,we replanted  4 years ago and no problems and are /will be using it for silage for I hope the next few years .

I have written before  I got some Nappier  Packchon 11, againe from the DPO ,made a very wet silage ,could not get the DM,dry matter ,for us our Nappier Taiwan is a lot better.

Near here is an area ,soil is known as Din-Kee_Pet ,very  sandy land ,one crop of rice a year ,or cassava , most cassava looks like white carrots ,a dairy farmer had some Elaphant grass , again pre Nappier grass ,did it grow well  a lot better than on my land ,he feed and watered it , most was to old as a good feed , some flowerd ,but on this poor land ,someting grew well ,two farms up the road are growing Nappier grass dose not grow as well as the Elaphant grass.

• Like 1