What Do Thailand’s New Economic Numbers Say About Its Political Future?

webfact

What Do Thailand’s New Economic Numbers Say About Its Political Future?

The good news masks a still uncertain road ahead for the ruling junta.

By Luke Hunt

Though the neverending wait for Thailand’s return to democratic rule since the military seized power back in May 2014 shows few signs of ending anytime soon, recent figures do suggest that the country’s economy is showing indications of improving.

While the latest data released did admittedly fall slightly below expectations amid a drop in state spending, gross domestic product grew by 4 percent, year-on-year, in the fourth quarter, and the outlook for 2018 appears to be quite bright.

It was the best result in five years, with GDP up by an inflation-adjusted 3.9 percent in 2017, from 3.3 percent in the previous calendar year. That should please Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, whose military government has faced criticism for its handling of the economy since it seized power in the coup and has since consistently delayed promised elections and a return to democracy.

Full story:  https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/what-do-thailands-new-economic-numbers-say-about-its-political-future/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2018-03-02

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

I can hardly wait to hear all the election promises and slogans. I think a suitable and possibly  effective slogan might be; Vote for us, we will steal you blind but we will do it with a nice smile and a wai.

Like in every other country in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

recent figures do suggest that the country’s economy is showing indications of improving.

Well ... well .....  I wouldn't have guessed   !      but the TV farang seem to think they know all.   :clap2:

Thailand's economy grew at its fastest pace in over four years in the fourth quarter, led by stronger exports and a boost from the tourism and agricultural sectors, suggesting the recovery is gaining momentum. The government also raised its forecasts for economic growth and exports for this year.

Image result for the best of khun prayut

From what i can see the drivers for recent improvement are due to an upturn in global demand increasing exports and the Government spending like drunken sailors on infrastructure projects. By all accounts domestic consumption has not seen any upturn.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I predict an enormous financial hole in the economy if the Army does not get back in in some way, trying to make up the loss in medal ribbon baht will be astronomically difficult !!

And  production of silk jackets will also plummet. Steven100 has the info on this.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

From what i can see the drivers for recent improvement are due to an upturn in global demand increasing exports and the Government spending like drunken sailors on infrastructure projects. By all accounts domestic consumption has not seen any upturn.

That's because half the money for the infrastructure projects gets filched by civil servants and crooked contractors even before anything starts or anyone is employed. These projects only reflect an upturn in the bank accounts of the prior mentioned and a few other assorted hangers-on. The real people never get to see any benefit.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

the Government spending like drunken sailors on infrastructure projects

One can only wish that was the case. That would mean the government would be spending Thai people's hard cash.

The reality is that the government can't get neither domestic entrepreneur or foreign capital funding for its projects and instead borrows from foreign nations.

So it's more like those drunken sailors hand out a load of IOU's for cash that they spend on projects for which they have no idea of financial success.

Kind of like playing a slot machine using a credit card. What can go wrong?

On 3/2/2018 at 12:41 PM, RichardColeman said:

I predict an enormous financial hole in the economy if the Army does not get back in in some way, trying to make up the loss in medal ribbon baht will be astronomically difficult !!

Thats not his concern. Now the priority is to sell all that watches to buy enough votes

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.