Honesty prevails for welfare scam whistleblower

rooster59

Honesty prevails for welfare scam whistleblower

By THE SUNDAY NATION

e0b84561ce17664508b75c16cbd97f0f.jpeg

A 23-YEAR-OLD university student in the Northeast has become an accidental whistle-blowing hero for reporting an irregularity at a local state agency where she was working as a trainee.

Last August, Panida Yospanya was among a group of students admitted to train at the Centre for Protection of the Destitute in Khon Kaen.

As a student majoring in community development at Mahasarakham University’s Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty, Panida expected to meet local residents involved in development projects, because the agency is part of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Instead, she was assigned to do paperwork at the house of the centre’s director – a job that she later suspected was a scam embezzling state funds. During her training at the centre, she was ordered to fill in documents with invented information and forge the signatures of many local residents. 

She was unwittingly involved in the forgery of more than 2,000 receipts that allowed corrupt officials to pocket public funds of more than Bt6.9 million.

Panida first alerted her supervising lecturer about the document forgery, but she was accused of lying and forced to apologise by prostrating herself before the official who ordered her to forge the documents as well as the centre’s director. 

It was only after she did so that Panida received written approval to complete her training from the officials involved.

She later consulted with her mother, who suggested she report the embezzlement, as her involvement in document forgery could cause her to be blamed when it was eventually exposed. 

“I decided to report it to the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the National Council for Peace and Order [NCPO]. But no action was taken, so I went to the media,” Panida said.

She and her friends then directly petitioned the NCPO’s secretary-general, Army chief General Chalermchai Sittisart, who arranged for her to report the case to the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission.

An investigation into the alleged embezzlement of public funds is now under way and several officials have been suspended from work to facilitate the probe.

Besides the Khon Kaen centre, 37 other centres for the destitute throughout the country are being investigated for suspected embezzlement of public funds.

Panida said she did not expect the case to grow so big and affect so many people.

“I don’t want to hurt anyone. I just want to prove my innocence. It was not my intention to fill documents with false information and forge signatures,” she said. “However, I am also proud that an ordinary citizen like me can do something to benefit the country.”

Panida said she chose to train at the centre because she wanted to become a good community development worker. She added that the embezzlement was unacceptable to her, which was why she had decided to report it.

But her honest actions initially got her in trouble. University authorities summoned her for an investigation and lecturers accused her of “damaging the university’s reputation”, she said. 

She added that she also felt there had been attempts to intimidate her and family after she reported the suspected embezzlement to government authorities. Strangers followed her family’s cars and suspicious-looking vehicles parked close to her house.

However, Panida has obtained encouragement from friends and fellow students. Also, she has received commendations from different organisations, which Panida said she regarded as “ultimate prizes of honour” for her family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30340106

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-04
  • Like 2

Thailand is one of those countries  that the people in key positions sees nothing wrong with rorting and bilking the system, it is as bad here as in some of the most dishonest African countries where billions are lost

due to people's greed and apathy, when a high ranking official, allegedly pays millions for a key position

in job where there's an easy access to monies and extra benefits paid in services and goods, you know

that the situation is hopeless....

• Like 2

Of course it´s very good of her to stand up and blow the wistle on a rotten thing like this. We definately need more people like her and her familiy.

However, I there is some things that bothers me in this story:

First she was ordered to forge documents, falsifying histories and even forge signatures. Appearently the bell didn´t start to ring until after over 2000 documents and signatures. That seems strange already for such an honest and upstanding person. After that she had the need to consult with her mother, whish also shows that is was more like the mother beeing clever and honest.

As a final we have a clear statement "Panida said she chose to train at the centre because she wanted to become a good community development worker. She added that the embezzlement was unacceptable to her, which was why she had decided to report it." If it was so unacceptable, how come it took both over 2000 forgeries and a consultation with mother dear to understand that?

Edited by Get Real
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

did you see she reported it to the right authorities including the NCPO < and NOTHING WAS DONE , says it all realy. the whole <deleted> lot corrupt from the TOP down.. well done that girl for not just going away as they all hoped.. and taking money from the poor is about as low as this lot can get.

Yes that is real disturbing, seems that more often then not those organisations have to be shamed into action. That is real bad of course because the authorities are there for cases like this. If they treat the public like this nothing will ever change. Because why report it if nothing is done. There should be an investigation into why no action was taken and those people should be in the hot seat.

• Like 1

Not even a drop in the ocean, more like i whisp of vapor.

Its easy to come to the conclusion that this sort of thing is happening everyday in every gov department, in every province across multiple platforms..

You can see all the dirty money being spent on resorts that could never turn a profit, holiday mansions in some strange place, housing developments and row shop houses that sit unoccoupied for years.. It all around us, we, well some, live in a place that is awash with dirty money..

What are some of the estimates? 30% of all buiness. Idk..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes that is real disturbing, seems that more often then not those organisations have to be shamed into action. That is real bad of course because the authorities are there for cases like this. If they treat the public like this nothing will ever change. Because why report it if nothing is done. There should be an investigation into why no action was taken and those people should be in the hot seat.

Unfortunately, the investigation would be conducted by the very people that K. Panida reported to...just a cycle of ineptness and embedded corruption usually from schemes, such as this one, that almost appear to be designed for fraud. 

• Like 2

Well done Young Lady; Thailand needs armies of people like you, because once the army grows big enough it will prevail and bring down the disgusting culture of thievery predominant in Thai Society.    This country has very little to be proud of and a terrible reputation abroad but people like you can change all that as time passes if you keep up such good work.

Unfortunately, her new career has probably come to a screeching halt.  She is exactly what this country needs, but she's exactly what the upper crust of this county do not want - someone who is willing to shine light on corrupt practices.  Sure, the leadership pays lip service to anti-corruption efforts, as they must.  But actually encouraging the type of morality displayed by the young women?  No.  The media, if they actually backed anti-corruption measures should start to follow this young woman's career.  If she hit's a roadblock, they should report on it.  She deserves accolades, but my guess is that she'll find a future that now goes nowhere. 

• Like 1

What the USA does with Whistleblowers They receive a sum of money where the government saves from the scam

and they are protected from being fired by that organization if they work for them.

This would work well in Thailand if they would protect the worker and pay them for the whistleblower

Just yesterday I saw a man in some kind of military uniform coming out of Villa Supermarket. A member of staff was pushing his trolley to his car. His car was a brand new red-plate BMW 7 series. I guess we have many officials in this country who are good with money and smart investors. Or, we have blatant corruption right in front of us. Don’t call it out, though. That’s crass behavior in Thai culture. 

If only this could be the beginning of a wave of public honesty (viral event) for thousands or millions of people who know this goes on as a daily norm. 6.9 million chicken feed. Like said in other posts corruption is a daily norm even at the lowest levels.. Seeming even for work placement students like her. Good on her!

Does anyone really believe that this corruption will be dealt with and eliminated, I don't think so?

This girls card will be marked and she will not get a job in any government department. There are too many fingers in the pie starting at the top.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2018 at 6:59 AM, james.d said:

Just goes to show the utter aloofness these so-called senior officials who  think they deserve to be worshipped like demigods. I see similar in my local fresh market as some strut around in their light khaki uniforms.

This young lady shows real spirit and determination. And good on her mother for also leading by example.

Yes, this was the aspect of this whole sorry business is the fact that she was denigrated and not believed I hope the people at her university are publicly humiliated for their attempts to silence her. 

They are real scum.