Union Pay problems?

HulkSmash

Anyone is having trouble paying in bar / restaurants / department stores?

Through union pay? And 25 THB for withdrawing the money or transfer ?

25 THB is a lot , and the facilities is worst

Since you can’t pay some places and paying that amount of a fee is too much [emoji89]☠️[emoji88][emoji451][emoji880]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure what you are asking but UnionPay is not accepted by most major establishments in Thailand so would not expect it be be usable in a bar.  There is no fee for using ATM if in your bank area - there is outside of area or if using another banks more than 4 times in a month - but that is true of any normal bank card - not unique to UnionPay.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

but that is true of any normal bank card - not unique to UnionPay.  

At least Krungsri and TMB offer debit cards with free ATM withdrawals nationwide at any ATM from any Bank.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

At least Krungsri and TMB offer debit cards with free ATM withdrawals nationwide at any ATM from any Bank.

In my last 25 years here have not had any issue in limiting my usage of other ATM to less than four times a month.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

In my last 25 years here have not had any issue in limiting my usage of other ATM to less than four times a month.

I also withdraw from other banks from time to time with no fee.

But as far as I know this limits to withdrawals within the "home" province/region (for Bangkok Bank).

• Like 1

If you are Bangkok bank get a Visa ATM card. They will probably say no have. They do not want to issue them. Insist on one and if they still say no phone the head office in Bangkok. You may have to wait seven days to get one sent to the branch.

• Like 1

My Bangkok Bank visa debit card expires in 2021.
If after that they will force me to this Union Pay I will close the accounts.

AFAIK (and I will try to find the link) all Visa ATM cards with magnetic stripe cards from BBL will be replaced in 2019 so you have to change earlier unfortunately

Link: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

If you are Bangkok bank get a Visa ATM card. They will probably say no have. They do not want to issue them. Insist on one and if they still say no phone the head office in Bangkok. You may have to wait seven days to get one sent to the branch.

100% correct, but there is 1 But.

The validity of that new visa atm card is only 6-8 months as a friend of mine discovered recently

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The validity of that new visa atm card is only 6-8 months as a friend of mine discovered recently

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thanks - I think that is due to the changeover you mentioned in 2019.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Get a bank account at another bank which will give you a Visa or Mastercard ;)

I'm with BB. I've  seen this topic discussed without getting a true understanding of whats going on.

Would some kind person give me a quick rundown or point me at an article to read ?

Thanks.  P.

11 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

I'm with BB. I've  seen this topic discussed without getting a true understanding of whats going on.

Would some kind person give me a quick rundown or point me at an article to read ?

Thanks.  P.

I don't have a Bangkok Bank account myself, so i can just tell you what i've read / know and no personal experiences:

Usually every Bank in Thailand was issuing Visa debit cards (maybe some Banks also Mastercard?)

If a merchant accepts payments by credit (debit) cards he does of course accept Visa and Mastercard because these are the two most used credit (debit) card suppliers

For some reason (most probably because they can save money) Bangkok Bank does not buy debit cards from Visa anymore.

Now they made a deal with Union Pay (a Chinese credit card company) and are now getting all their debit cards from them.

So if you go to Bangkok Bank and want to have a Debit card they will give you one issued by Union Pay.

It seems they still have some old stock of Visa cards, but they only give you these if you insist and it seems that they expire soon, because it's old stock and they didn't order new Visa cards.

The problem with Union Pay is that many merchants / shops don't accept Union Pay credit cards, but only Visa / Mastercard.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

^ +1

Spot on. And Bangkok Bank is at the moment the ONLY bank that is issuing these UnionPay (branded) debit cards, other Banks (even the state owned KTB) are still issuing Visa/Mastercard (branded) debit cards.

You could get a Real (Master/Visa) credit card from Bangkok Bank, but that involves a lot more then just opening a Bank account and getting an ATM Card.

My Major issue (except for the lack of the shops accepting them) with the Union Pay cards is, that I use the BBL Visa Debit Card to do online Shopping, but that it is unfortunately IMPOSSIBLE with the UNION Pay cards as the retailers only have support for Visa / Mastercard :annoyed: . I have only seen 1 (maybe there are more) online shops accepting Union Pay.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

AFAIK (and I will try to find the link) all Visa ATM cards with magnetic stripe cards

I have already changed to a chip card about a year ago(?).

The magnetic strip is dead or just directs to the chip.

I experienced this once when I got a relating message from another banks ATM.

("does not support chip card")

debit.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have already changed to a chip card about a year ago.

The magnetic strip is dead or just directs to the chip.

I experienced this once when I got a relating message from another banks ATM.

("does not support chip card")

Then you are lucky, that you did, for other members (including myself) it's impossible to switch anymore as you will get that Union P.. card.  I will have to change banks for the year is out, someone (in another thread) mentioned KSK (Kasikorn) as they have a "virtual" debit card which you can use for online payments.

Edit: @KhunBENQ yes, that is the new style one. I still have the old "style" one. My wife had the same you have, but unfortunately she forgot the 4 digit code for the card and was then issued with a (you guessed it) Union Pay card:bah:

Edited by MJCM

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

KSK (Kasikorn) as they have a "virtual" debit card which you can use for online payments.

They have :thumbsup:

And it's the main reason why I don't close this first Thai account I opened in Pattaya in 2009 although it's quite expensive.

I often used it to pay online on Thai webshops, airlines etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You could get a Real (Master/Visa) credit card from Bangkok Bank, but that involves a lot more then just opening a Bank account and getting an ATM Card.

I thought about it, but in the future I will rely on my home country income anyway (currently on savings in Baht).

And for that I have a German VISA credit card where foreign fees are reimbursed.

(so exactly the VISA exchange rate applied)

And for the rest I will stick to cash as long as it exists.

My Bangkok Bank visa debit card expires in 2021.
If after that they will force me to this Union Pay I will close the accounts.

Went to the bank today because having problems with debit card ! Any new card has to be union pay card ! So only real alternative is to close bangkok bank and open account with bank which uses visa !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1