Using a Thai issued debit card outside of Thailand

connda

I have a debit card with Bangkok Bank and I may be traveling outside of the country.  Has anyone run into issues using a debit card, especially a debit issued by BKK Bank while traveling outside of South East Asia.  Problems, issues, advice based on past experience? 

47 minutes ago, cms22 said:

Have used my Bangkok Bank credit card all over the world in the past seven years - including USA, Australia, Japan, UK, Korea, Italy - and never ever had a problem.

Word of warning though: Always tell the bank (a quick call to credit card hotline) about your travel plans a few days before flying out.

Have fun!

C

Absolutely. I have a credit card from another Thai bank and always let them know what country or countries I will be traveling to. Otherwise, there's a good chance it will be blocked. 

You can use you Debit Card, but make sure that it is activated for use outside Thailand. Either call the BBL Hotline onl 1333. They will need to verify your information. Easier will be at the branch you opened your account. There you will only need to sign a document, but takes slightly longer until it is setup in the system.

Make sure that your withdrawal limit is adjusted accordingly, otherwise you might be only able to withdrawal a lower amount.

• Like 1

I had problems with my Bangkok Bank VISA debit card in US, the limits was very low, I could pay for a taxi ride or food, but not hotel room even for one night. Im not sure, maybe there is something the Bank can do if you talk to them before you leave. My Credit cards had no issues.

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Absolutely. I have a credit card from another Thai bank and always let them know what country or countries I will be traveling to. Otherwise, there's a good chance it will be blocked. 

Not so sure that is true:I have KTB debit card, been using it for years all over South-East Asia without ever telling the bank anything about my travel plans:It has never been blocked, always work just fine, although  depending on bank/country  you make withdrawal, added up charges can be as high as 7 %.

• Like 2

Should be no problem. My daughter has just returned from a year in England and used her Thai issued debit card to withdraw money I put in her Thai account. She got a good exchange rate too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newatthis said:

Even the UnionPay debit cards can be used at some atms in Oz.

But not everywhere, unless that's changing. I was told I can't use my Union Pay card in the US a couple of years ago. That's the card with the gold chip visible on the front and a six-digit PIN. Was told to switch back to the VISA debit card to use in US.

7 hours ago, newatthis said:

Even the UnionPay debit cards can be used at some atms in Oz.

With their 6 digit PINs ?....Aus ATMs used to only accept 4 digit PINs. I did use my BKK bank VISA debit card in Aus. ATM with no problem.

Used a BKK Bank ATM earlier today, see that they are trying to get people to swap their VISA cards for Union Pay ones ...no thanks, for the time being at least.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I had problems with my Bangkok Bank VISA debit card in US, the limits was very low, I could pay for a taxi ride or food, but not hotel room even for one night. Im not sure, maybe there is something the Bank can do if you talk to them before you leave. My Credit cards had no issues.

You can change the day by day limit with a phone call to the system to your needs, starts with 5.000 Baht and then up and up. Max I think 50.000 or 100.000 Baht. 

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

You can change the day by day limit with a phone call to the system to your needs, starts with 5.000 Baht and then up and up. Max I think 50.000 or 100.000 Baht. 

I had mine changed to 100,000 baht, But apparently that only applied to within Thailand, I guess you have to specifically tell the bank to raise outside Thailand also.

• Like 2

Best advice is to go ask your bank. I made a visa run to Malaysia a few years back thinking my SCB ATM card (as the OP asked about) would work just fine and was very rudely awakened when I found myself stuck there for the next 2 days with nearly no money. Turned out that ONLY international bank ATM cards work outside of Thailand. I too, listened to advice and experiences of strangers. Luckily I had brought around 5,000 baht with me or I would have had to choose between eating or sleeping in a hotel.

Also, be careful with your phone. Had around 300 baht 12call credit, my wife called me when I got there and it charged MY phone for the call. Zero balance in less than 20 minutes. :saai:

Edited by mrwebb8825

6 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Best advice is to go ask your bank. I made a visa run to Malaysia a few years back thinking my SCB ATM card (as the OP asked about) would work just fine and was very rudely awakened when I found myself stuck there for the next 2 days with nearly no money. Turned out that ONLY international bank ATM cards work outside of Thailand. I too, listened to advice and experiences of strangers. Luckily I had brought around 5,000 baht with me or I would have had to choose between eating or sleeping in a hotel.

Also, be careful with your phone. Had around 300 baht 12call credit, my wife called me when I got there and it charged MY phone for the call. Zero balance in less than 20 minutes. :saai:

No, your wife was charged for the call to your Thai cell, you were charged for the connection between Thailand and Malaysia. Roaming this is called, easy to switch off.

Agreed with your first comment, ask the bank.

Edited by stevenl

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, AjarnMartin said:

Why is everyone responding about credit cards when the OP was asking about Debit cards???

Not everyone !  I did reply about my debit card !