Retirement visa income letter from embassy must be legalised at MFA or not?

I live in Hua Hin and wanted to apply for retirement visa. The Hua Hin immigration told me to get confirmation letter from embassy and come back. I got the letter from the embassy, returned to hua hin immigration and waited in line 3 hours. Then they told me is must be legalised at ministry of foreign affairs. They did not mention this the first time i was there. I asked my embassy if this was normal and they said that it seems to be only in hua hin they ask for legalisation. So i want to ask here if this is required in other districts? Thanks!

29 minutes ago, nausea said:

Nonthanburi - yes. Not a big deal as you can get an income letter authorised many months in advance.

I am assuming this is a requirement if you don't have the avail 800k in a local bank account ..

Seems to be aimed at some and not all applications perhaps dependent on whether it's a first time application or maybe the first two or three.

I my 13th Retirement Extension application to the HH Office in mid January using recent Consular letter confirming Pensions and the app was approved within five minutes and PP returned in another five. Waited in line maybe 20 minutes.

I tend to visit the main office after lunch on a Friday since it is less busy with waiting applicants.

90 day reports I due at the Bluport IO in the basement. Get there around 10 am and have never 'queued' longer than 5 minutes.

I was told by the Suphanburi IO that signatures on embassy income affidavits for marriage extensions of stay required the MFA endorsement but not required for retirement extensions...no explanation given but I presume it's because the marriage extension application has to be approved by district 3 (Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Suphanburi, Ayutthaya) HQ in BKK whereas that's not required for retirement extensions...that means that there's some a**h*** at district 3 HQ insisting on this, not caring about the inconvenience and etc...time to get out the torches and the pitchforks, etc...

and I'm told that one must attend the MFA personally as they want to have sight of yer original passport..the affidavit can be mailed to you when the endorsement is completed...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

i am in Hua Hin.  My retirement extension expired when i was in Spain, so had to start again.

i came back on 60 day tourist visa

then apply for non imm O visa which lasts 90 days

i used income letter and HAD to get the stamp from Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I have been told it depends on what officer you see!

Anyway, as I have read on an earlier post, you can get it done for 400 baht by sending it, or go yourself, or the officer will give you a number to call, and get it done for 2,500 baht.

its a bit of a pain, but no big deal.

it is what it is here.

Accept it or go.

Hua Hin too.  Applied for conversion SETV to non-O.  Had to have Legalisation of UK Embassy letter done by MFA.  2500 for external agent to do it rather than attending. If you can work out how to mail it as I think they did then do so.

My experience:  Have done my last 5 annual extensions in Hua Hin using U.S Embassy letter, last one being 27 FEB, and not once have they asked to have the letter certified by the MFA.  In and out in less than 20 minutes every time.  Professional and friendly IOs. 

I renewed mine yesterday in Hua Hin with a letter from the Australian Embassy with no verification and had no problem. Same for previous 3 years. I go in the afternoon too when it's not busy. Waited maybe half an hour.
Is your letter in English? If not maybe that's your problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I been at MFA and got my letter from the embassy confirmed. The sticker says "Sertified Genuine Signature of (full name of the person at the embassy) and have referance number, date, signature of the officer at MFA and MFA stamp.

I applied 9.26 Am and picked up the verified document 14:30. Almost no waiting time at all exept the processing time. Fee 400 baht for express service. The express service is available only between 8:30 and 9:30

Immigration says this requrement is only for first time applyment of change of visa within the country. For extention it is not needed.

I had the money in the bank from back to 2012 but i did not had a confirmation letter from the bank for the transfers. Bkk says they can not give the letter because it is 6 years back in time. Immigration does not accept the bank book that have the code FTT for the transfers. They must have confirmation from the bank for every transfer of money from abroad. I got one from krungthai bank after i transfered money this year and they did not charge any fee. Lession to learn: Every time when i transfer money from abroad i will as soon as possible go to the bank and request confirmation letter