Top 5 Reasons You Won’t Like Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Respect has got to be earned, always start by respecting everybody, the people who are running the country you are living in, the people you meet and work with, your bosses, but if any of them start disrespecting you, and treating you badly, then you do the same back. there is always a way.

In saying that, I don't think any of us can say whether in general, the Thais respect their country or not, you can speak  about what your Thai wife, Thai family, and Thai friends say, but not in general.

opinion ''a view or judgement about something,not necessarily based on fact or knowledge'' ..im just a resident of Thailand with an opinion..based on my observations..have a good day

Edited by mok199
speliing

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Just curious, but in your homeland, does hospitals, police, ambulance, etc., speak a foreign language?  And which language would that be?

My guess would be the language of love.

Edited by HLover
Added content

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Just curious, but in your homeland, does hospitals, police, ambulance, etc., speak a foreign language?  And which language would that be?

I'm dutch mate and for sure they all speak english, probably also german or maybe even french. Also we all can swim.

The police  uses loads of translators for other languages, have loads of helicopters, rescueboats, new firetrucks and everything you can expect from a well developed country. Holland is no1 in speaking english as foreign language, all kids learn it at scool.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

I'm dutch mate and for sure they all speak english, probably also german or maybe even french. Also we all can swim.

The police  uses loads of translators for other languages, have loads of helicopters, rescueboats, new firetrucks and everything you can expect from a well developed country. Holland is no1 in speaking english as foreign language, all kids learn it at scool.

Impossible that the entire country can swim.  Quadruple amputees are just one example.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

In hospitals they should be able to speak english at the reception. Same goes for the police, haven't tried the ambulance but i guess i know the answer already. Also most pharmacy shops in BKK can't, on top of that even thai english teachers can't.

You should see how they treat motobikedrivers, very selfish and using their car as weapon.

Have you never had construction in your house? Then you 'll see the low standards...

I have been happy with the work done to my house, same applies to my truck and motorbike.:biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thian said:

In hospitals they should be able to speak english at the reception. Same goes for the police, haven't tried the ambulance but i guess i know the answer already. Also most pharmacy shops in BKK can't, on top of that even thai english teachers can't.

In 2017, Thailand had just under 10 million visitors from China.  Compared to under 3 million from the UK, US and Australia combined.  Even if you factor in the English-speaking expats and non-native English speakers such as yourself, shouldn't their priority be to learn Chinese before English? 555

Seriously though, mandating English fluency from such workers would just push up the wages they'd have to pay them...then everyone would whine about the increased costs of everything!

Edited by mgthom63

1) Dan Cheeseman

2) People like Dan Cheeseman , no income or savings so try to make money from Vloging

3 ) My mate Mate ( mercifully no longer a noise )

4) Any failings clinging about Thailand. For pities sake, give it a rest , go a job or just go away.

5) Cockroaches. Strangely none in the boonies but legion in Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HLover said:

And balance those sweet wooden shoes/clogs on their pointy multiple language speaking heads.

What would they want clogs for? They'd want skateboards.  I'm not going to mention space-hoppers.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Thian said:

How about Chinese?  Japanese?  Korean?  Russian?  And all the other languages that the Thais have to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

How about Chinese?  Japanese?  Korean?  Russian?  And all the other languages that the Thais have to deal with.

Why don't they just speak English to foreigners, like we do?

1 hour ago, mgthom63 said:

In 2017, Thailand had just under 10 million visitors from China.  Compared to under 3 million from the UK, US and Australia combined.  Even if you factor in the English-speaking expats and non-native English speakers such as yourself, shouldn't their priority be to learn Chinese before English? 555

Seriously though, mandating English fluency from such workers would just push up the wages they'd have to pay them...then everyone would whine about the increased costs of everything!

My insurance will pay the hospital bill.

And the chinese also come to europe, the rich ones that is. They love to shop in the designer-outlets.

Have fun in the hospital if you can't understand what they're saying!

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

If they don't want to speak to them they should promote their tourismbusiness.

The beachbed renters can speak russian, i 've seen it myself.

If the Thai could all speak english in the tourism/hospital/hotelsector they could blame the koreans for not speaking english. But they even can't do it themselves, even not in Siam Paragon on any other mall.

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

My insurance will pay the hospital bill.

And the chinese also come to europe, the rich ones that is. They love to shop in the designer-outlets.

Have fun in the hospital if you can't understand what they're saying!

Just as much 'fun' in hospitals for the Chinese when their native language isn't spoken...and they far outnumber the native English speakers.  I came across an amazing app on my smartphone recently...it's a Thai-English translator!

Maybe more Chinese should go to Holland instead.  I'm assuming everyone in the tourism/hospital/hotel sector there is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, given their rising importance as a source of tourism?

Edited by mgthom63
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mgthom63 said:

Just as much 'fun' in hospitals for the Chinese when their native language isn't spoken...and they far outnumber the native English speakers.  I came across an amazing app on my smartphone recently...it's a Thai-English translator!

Maybe more Chinese should go to Holland instead.  I'm assuming everyone in the tourism/hospital/hotel sector there is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, given their rising importance as a source of tourism?

There are plenty chinese who are well educated, well mannered and speak decent english.....but they don't go to thailand in cheapo grouptours...

They are just like westerners who try to avoid risky countries, you should see them in Switzerland where the staff in the designers watch shops are chinese as well and speak several languages. I felt like i was in China when visiting Luzern Swiss last summer, they were all over the place buying watches for big bucks.

Those chinese sit in a touringcar all day in Europe and visit 6-8 countries in a week. They only go for the highlights and cheap brandname shopping in outlets.

But Amsterdam will totally ban ALL coaches in the city soon, so i wonder if they will still go there or what they will do next.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

There are plenty chinese who are well educated, well mannered and speak decent english.....but they don't go to thailand in cheapo grouptours...

They are just like westerners who try to avoid risky countries, you should see them in Switzerland where the staff in the designers watch shops are chinese as well and speak several languages. I felt like i was in China when visiting Luzern Swiss last summer, they were all over the place buying watches for big bucks.

Those chinese sit in a touringcar all day in Europe and visit 6-8 countries in a week. They only go for the highlights and cheap brandname shopping in outlets.

But Amsterdam will totally ban ALL coaches in the city soon, so i wonder if they will still go there or what they will do next.

ok, I'm not sure you're getting my point about why it may be slightly arrogant to suggest that Thai's in certain sectors should speak English (rather than Chinese or any other foreign language).  But that's ok...

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mgthom63 said:

ok, I'm not sure you're getting my point about why it may be slightly arrogant to suggest that Thai's in certain sectors should speak English (rather than Chinese or any other foreign language).  But that's ok...

Because english is the worldlanguage, is that so hard to understand? And it will never be chinese, there's not even 1 chinese language but several different ones.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thian said:

Because english is the worldlanguage, is that so hard to understand? And it will never be chinese, there's not even 1 chinese language but several different ones.

Around 840 million people worldwide are native Mandarin speakers, while a further 180 million or so speak it as a second language, making it the world's most widely-spoken tongue.

By comparison, only 340 million people are native English speakers, with some 510 million or so people having learned it as a second language.

And we're talking about Thailand, not the world (where English speakers may be more prevalent /dispersed, but no idea)...in Thailand,  Chinese -speaking tourists far outweigh English-speaking tourists nowadays, tour buses or no tour buses!

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

mine does mandarin,lao, french,urdu, and others as they are allowed to work in the country as nurses and doctors and wards people. my thai friends all speak english so no problems when in thailand.

Edited by heybuz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yes most  do. Especially Spanish and several other languages. You are way out of line to be a Thai apologist on this topic. In hospitals in my home city I know  at least 10+ languages are spoken. The police department has about 20 languages on the force. EMT’s are available in many languages. When you go into a high end store you can expect several employees to speak other languages than English. Lately I have been to several 5 star hotels here in Thailand and the level of English is deplorable. You are completely wrong!!  Even my telephone  bill at home at the end lists a dozen languages you can contact them in! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Not in the hospitals i visited.

And once i saw a farang shouting to the receptionist because she gave him medicines but couldn't answer his questions about it.

Very dangerous me thinks and very ashaming for that hospital in BKK.

I doubt many receptionists could or should give advice about any prescribed medication in any language.  I bet he looked like a complete fool. 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Yes most  do. Especially Spanish and several other languages. You are way out of line to be a Thai apologist on this topic. In hospitals in my home city I know  at least 10+ languages are spoken. The police department has about 20 languages on the force. EMT’s are available in many languages. When you go into a high end store you can expect several employees to speak other languages than English. Lately I have been to several 5 star hotels here in Thailand and the level of English is deplorable. You are completely wrong!!  Even my telephone  bill at home at the end lists a dozen languages you can contact them in! 

Clearly time for some posters to vote with their feet.

For them, Thailand obviously doesn't do enough to ensure that lowly hospital/police/hotel/mall employees take the time to learn English, Chinese, Russian, etc.

This is obviously a deplorable state of affairs, given the large amount of money these folks are paid.  Clearly these lazy people should be paying for English courses after their 12 hour/6-day shifts are over

For those folks who get so upset, I'm guessing they will vote with their feet and not visit Thailand anymore?

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

And what is your home city/country, out of interest.  Comparable to Thailand? 

22 hours ago, HLover said:

Funny, I get treated just fine by all the above-mentioned. Maybe a quick look in the mirror would explain why the complainers get treated the way they do?

So your new nickname is pretty boy. ha. I'd say such a reply is similar to Thais. Good job. Ha

15 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

being treated by a doctor that’s gone through a “no fail” education system

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

actually all medical staff (doctors and dentists) can fail subjects and have to repeat to eventually graduate. We know a dentist thats taking 2 yrs longer to finish her degree

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Do you realise that 20 million Thais (around a third) are native issan/kmer/lao speakers and are already on theirs second language when they learn Thai. In the south, 1 million are native Yawi (malay) speakers, and in the east there are 1 million native Karen speakers. There are half a million native chinese speakers.

The Thai Government recognises 62 languages spoken in Thailand.

Chances are the local hospital or Police etc speak more languages than your multi-lingual home country.

• Like 1