Stopped By Police In Thailand? What You Should Do.

webfact

Stopped By Police In Thailand? What You Should Do.

By Khaosod English

DSC09550-696x424.jpg  

Forensic police search a crime scene on Monday.

By Yutthachai Sangsirisap and Robert Virasin

There are many stories about bad police planting evidence or fake police shaking down the innocent. What to do if someone claiming to be a police officer wants to search your person or belongings?

The primary duty of the police is to protect people and property and to enforce laws. When a crime occurs, they have to investigate the crime to ensure justice by catching criminals. Under Thai law, the police officer has the right to search people and property to prevent or solve a crime. When a police officer acting in a lawful manner requests to search you, you must comply. However, there are certain things one should.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/03/14/stopped-by-police-in-thailand-what-you-should-do/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-03-14
  • Like 1

i got stopped while in a taxi in bkk sukhumvit road, 2 cops, one was about to put his hand in my pocket, no kin way, i said i will empty my pockets on the bonnet of the taxi. what would be the betting he had drugs in his hand, yes we find drugs you pay now lol , they seemed quite disappointed, i had rumbled their little game

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Dashcam/Audio should be utilised, particularly if drivers (ferangs) are alone.

if your dashcam is running - ensure you stand in the front of the car preferably sideways or at least with your back to the camera.

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

if your dashcam is running - ensure you stand in the front of the car preferably sideways or at least with your back to the camera.

I turn my dashcam sideways to show the cops faces,i always get waved on,

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Just pay them what they demand and don't make any fuss.  Accept the false accusations and reasons for your fine and get on with your day.  

Exactly what I just did tonight!  False reasons for stopping me but I just accepted it, paid 1000 Baht and left.  No point in trying to declare injustice/corruption/extortion and other crimes.  Too easy to have fabricated evidence made against you.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Do what the policeman asks, don't start waving money around, behave politely and be on your way. Stayed in Thailand for years and have never been asked to pay a dime despite being stopped now and again all over Thailand. It probably helps that I don't to illegal left-hand turns, don't run red lights and don't drive faster than the speed limit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

Exactly what I just did tonight!  False reasons for stopping me but I just accepted it, paid 1000 Baht and left.  No point in trying to declare injustice/corruption/extortion and other crimes.  Too easy to have fabricated evidence made against you.  

Where did that happen, walking, in a car?