Trump has decided to remove his national security adviser - Washington Post

webfact

Trump has decided to remove his national security adviser - Washington Post

2018-03-16T020514Z_1_LYNXNPEE2F040_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-MCMASTER.JPG

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster speaks at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, U.S., March 15, 2018. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has decided to replace his national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, but the move is not expected to be made immediately, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

Citing five people with knowledge of the plans, the Post said Trump was considering several possible replacements, including former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton and Keith Kellogg, the chief of staff of the National Security Council.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.

On Tuesday, Trump fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and the president has signalled in recent days that a shake-up at the top levels of his administration was not over.

"I'm really at a point where we're getting very close to having the Cabinet and other things that I want," Trump told reporters after Tillerson was fired.

McMaster is not expected to be ousted immediately, the Post reported. Trump is willing to take his time making the change to avoid humiliating McMaster and carefully choose a strong replacement, the Post said.

Trump never personally gelled with McMaster and the president recently told White House Chief of Staff John Kelly that he wanted McMaster replaced, according to the Post.

Trump has complained that McMaster, a three-star Army general, is too rigid and that his briefings go on too long and seem irrelevant, the Post reported.

McMaster is Trump's second national security adviser, succeeding Michael Flynn who was dismissed a year ago for misleading Vice President Mike Pence about his contacts with the Russian ambassador to the United States.

(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-16

41 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Another adult gone.  I'm surprised Mattis and Kelly are still around.

Trump would also like to dump Sessions, but the Senate leaders are telling Trump that he shouldn't submit any cabinet appointment confirmations at this time, because he lacks the political capital to get any appointments through.  The GOP only has a slim margin in the Senate (51-49), and McCain, Flake and Rand Paul are not going to support Trump.  Trump can probably get Pompeo confirmed, but the Haspel hearing is going to be a mess.  There's no way Bolton can get confirmed. 

• Like 2

No worries. There is already a plan in place to give McMaster his fourth star as a consolation prize (and to keep him quiet placated). The WH doesn't want a displeased former national security adviser spouting off anything potentially embarrassing for the current administration..

Donald Trump 'planning to sack National Security Advisor HR McMaster'

The Post said that some in the White House were hesitant to remove Lt General McMaster until he had "a promotion to four-star rank or other comfortable landing spot."

Fake News, until tomorrow.

Think they want to wait until after 5 PM on Friday to announce this and other sweeping changes? Perhaps when they have a replacement ready?

Sarah Sanders denies report that H.R. McMaster is about to be fired

In the face of reporting by several media outlets that Gen. H.R. McMaster is in imminent danger of being removed as national security adviser, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote in a tweet Thursday night that she has spoken with both President Trump and with McMaster and, "contrary to reports, they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC [National Security Council]."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sarah-sanders-denies-report-that-h-r-mcmaster-is-about-to-be-fired/

shs_mcm.png

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Trump has negotiated with Fox News to product a new 3 hour evening show called “The Daily Briefing”... so he really has no need for most of these advisors... :coffee1:

You really over-estimate Trump's attention span by a factor of at least a couple of hundred: a two-minute show would be plenty long enough, after that Trump will lose interest and want to play with his twitter, or fire someone again, as he seems to be on a roll with that. One fired a day keeps the sane people away, wasn't that what the doctor ordered?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when all the Eastern European Communist dictatorships were falling apart in 1989-91. In each case, the first you knew that something was about to happen was when an official statement came out denying that anything was happening.

4 hours ago, Silurian said:

There is already a plan in place to give McMaster his fourth star as a consolation prize (and to keep him quiet placated).

Trump can't force McMaster to continue to serve in the military. He already had planned to retire before his reassignment by Trump as national security adviser. McMaster at that point could have declined and retired from the military. I can't imagine McMaster continuing to serve under Trump now even as a four-star general, especially not knowing who the next NSA person will be.

According to reports the likely successor is John  Bolton, a reviled, hard line right wing hawk, whose previous record is there for all to see.

A really nasty piece of work who will make the world even more insecure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to reports the likely successor is John  Bolton, a reviled, hard line right wing hawk, whose previous record is there for all to see.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Fake News, until tomorrow.

Think they want to wait until after 5 PM on Friday to announce this and other sweeping changes? Perhaps when they have a replacement ready?

Sarah Sanders denies report that H.R. McMaster is about to be fired

In the face of reporting by several media outlets that Gen. H.R. McMaster is in imminent danger of being removed as national security adviser, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote in a tweet Thursday night that she has spoken with both President Trump and with McMaster and, "contrary to reports, they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC [National Security Council]."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sarah-sanders-denies-report-that-h-r-mcmaster-is-about-to-be-fired/

shs_mcm.png

The left and right hand seem to have difficulty finding each other, one is looking for the dummy and the other is putting on the diapers.

3 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Sounds perfect for Trumps swamp.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What's next? Bring in Fox and Friends to his cabinet. Nothing shocks from that ridiculous demagogue.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ask and ye shall receive! Looks like Pete Hegseth might replace David Shulkin as the VA Secretary.

Trump reportedly considering 'Fox & Friends' host Pete Hegseth for Cabinet position

Edited by Silurian

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He bored me with his briefings. They were detailed. I hate details. They were very precise and formidable. I hate formidable. My brain just does not like the details. I prefer broad strokes. As my recent meeting with Trudeau proved, I really do not need or like facts. I just make stuff up, as I go along. Sometimes, far smarter men like Trudeau call me out on my errors. It is ok. Happens sometimes. Not important.

Tiny DT. The art of moving America backwards, and lowering the quality of life for the average American. 

The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life. 

The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. Like The appointment of Lynne Patton, a wedding planner and longtime Trump family associate, to head the Housing and Urban Development's office for New York and New Jersey, and the talk show host that he just appointed as a chief economic advisor, because he talks smooth and looks good on TV. Good one Don.

The art of not being able to fill vacancies, and poorly attempting to lead the nation, without the help of key appointees. 

The Trump administration will usher in the second quarter of its presidential term with hundreds of vacancies still left to fill in departments throughout the administration. According to the Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service, only 241 key positions requiring Senate confirmation — out of 633 — have been confirmed as of Jan. 18, with 244 positions still without a nominee. The 633 key positions are a small portion of over 1,200 total positions requiring Senate confirmation, the Post noted. Trump’s sluggish staffing stands in stark contrast to his predecessors. According to the Post, Trump had 301 total confirmed nominees by Jan. 18, as compared with 452 confirmations by former President Barack Obama, 493 by George W. Bush and 471 by Bill Clinton at the same point in their terms. 

Good work Don. Moving America backwards. Being a beacon of darkness and hatred. Nice. As Richard Pryor used to say, "you is what you is".

As Richard Pryor used to say, "you is what you is". That's indeed true about you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

What's next? Bring in Fox and Friends to his cabinet. Nothing shocks from that ridiculous demagogue.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your constant negative remarks about Trump and venting your hate of the man here on TV makes you the same kind of ridiculous demagogue you despise so much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

He's in charge of national security not ballet dancing and, gay outreach! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Another adult gone.  I'm surprised Mattis and Kelly are still around.

Trump is only doing what every other POTUS has done and that is to get the best people available WHO SUPPORT HIS AGENDA. Tillerson was gone because of his support for the phony climate change narrative and the terrible Iran deal giving nukes to the ayatollah. Trump won the election and deserves to have his own people there that support him and his agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howbri said:

Trump is only doing what every other POTUS has done and that is to get the best people available WHO SUPPORT HIS AGENDA. Tillerson was gone because of his support for the phony climate change narrative and the terrible Iran deal giving nukes to the ayatollah. Trump won the election and deserves to have his own people there that support him and his agenda.

Unfortunately it is impossible to get good people that support his agenda, a contradiction in terminus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, howbri said:

Trump won the election and deserves to have his own people there that support him and his agenda.

So why did he select Tillerson, McMaster, Flynn, etc. in the first place?

Trump either deserved what he got or he and his administration was completely incompetent not to know who these people are.

• Like 1

Trump has an agenda?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you serious? Have you stopped to analyze that statement? The best people? Who? So far, he has hired nothing but mediocrity, with the possible exception of Kelly and Tillerson. Virtually everyone else in the cabinet has ranged somewhere between incompetent and mediocre, at best. If he has an agenda, it is about making America a more difficult country to live in, for 90% of the population, who are not fortunate to be members of the top 10%.

Tiny DT. The art of moving America backwards, and lowering the quality of life for the average American. 

The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. Like The appointment of Lynne Patton, a wedding planner and longtime Trump family associate, to head the Housing and Urban Development's office for New York and New Jersey, and the talk show host that he just appointed as a chief economic advisor, because he talk smooth and looks good on TV. Good one Don.

The art of not being able to fill vacancies, and leading a nation, without the help of key appointees. The Trump administration will usher in the second quarter of its presidential term with hundreds of vacancies still left to fill in departments throughout the administration. According to the Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service, only 241 key positions requiring Senate confirmation — out of 633 — have been confirmed as of Jan. 18, with 244 positions still without a nominee. The 633 key positions are a small portion of over 1,200 total positions requiring Senate confirmation, the Post noted. Trump’s sluggish staffing stands in stark contrast to his predecessors. According to the Post, Trump had 301 total confirmed nominees by Jan. 18, as compared with 452 confirmations by former President Barack Obama, 493 by George W. Bush and 471 by Bill Clinton at the same point in their terms. 

The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. Like The appointment of Lynne Patton, a wedding planner and longtime Trump family associate, to head the Housing and Urban Development's office for New York and New Jersey, and the talk show host that he just appointed as a chief economic advisor, because he talk smooth and looks good on TV. Good one Don.

The art of not being able to fill vacancies, and leading a nation, without the help of key appointees. The Trump administration will usher in the second quarter of its presidential term with hundreds of vacancies still left to fill in departments throughout the administration. According to the Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service, only 241 key positions requiring Senate confirmation — out of 633 — have been confirmed as of Jan. 18, with 244 positions still without a nominee. The 633 key positions are a small portion of over 1,200 total positions requiring Senate confirmation, the Post noted. Trump’s sluggish staffing stands in stark contrast to his predecessors. According to the Post, Trump had 301 total confirmed nominees by Jan. 18, as compared with 452 confirmations by former President Barack Obama, 493 by George W. Bush and 471 by Bill Clinton at the same point in their terms. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1