Thai motorcyclist, tourist fight over use of pavement

webfact

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Lucky for you, or maybe you´re a big badass, what do I know. :cheesy:
I find it better to learn the culture, and not do things like you believe it should be done in the west. Many people come here as tourists and believe they can behave and react like in thier home countries. It´s all thoose morons I am talking about.

What do you think should be the golden rule:

• The country and it´s people should change to your behaviour as a tourist
  • You as a foreigner and stranger to culture should adapt to the place you visit
  • Everybody shall follow your personal whistle, and bow and bend over for you.

"Lucky for you, or maybe you´re a big badass, what do I know. :cheesy:"

Exactly! What do you know? People have the right to stand up for themselves if others are putting their well being at risk, I am not saying violently, and that applies in any country. So as your username says. "Get Real".

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am really surprised at so many posters sticking up for these morons riding their MCs on the footpath. I wonder if these same posters would be as quick to stick up for these morons if one of their family or children get hit by them. Tourists and everyone else should have the right to be able to walk on the footpath in safety.

Not sticking up for the morons riding mc on the footpaths. That´s not the point. What I really hate is all theese morons that comes to, or visit, this country and can´t understand it´s a different culture and their stupid overreactions are no good here. Maybe now it will sink in. :smile: Othervise I agree with you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Lucky for you, or maybe you´re a big badass, what do I know. :cheesy:"

Exactly! What do you know? People have the right to stand up for themselves if others are putting their well being at risk, I am not saying violently, and that applies in any country. So as your username says. "Get Real".

I am as real as it comes, dude! When you are as clever as you seem to have the wish to show, then you must know that the right you are refering to is non existant. In Thailand a foreigner almost do not have any rights at all, and then there again. It´s no use even trying to be a big badass. :cheesy:

56 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes there are road rules, they are just not always enforced unless it is "helpful" to enforce them.

What is plain stupid is anyone thinking there are no rules here.

What you are saying is true, there are rules, there is just little enforcing of them unless there are brown envelopes getting dished out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

Very annoying when your confronted with a motorbike on a foot path.or coming at you on the wrong side of the road  . But the Thais do not know this is wrong its normal for them. Just laugh at their ignorance and move on .  

Actually Im pretty sure they know exactly when they are doing something wrong, in their minds its  just the question "can I get away with it or  not"

20 hours ago, Get Real said:

Why do we have to see theese moronic tourists coming here almost everyday? Can´t they just stay home and look Tv-series or something?

Another farang teacher doing his duty to develope the country ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, dave moir said:

The morons are the ones who ride their motorcycles on the footpath!!!! It is against the law and a supposed 5000baht fine if caught, so basically the moron farang as you like to call him is in the right!!! You moron?

Ah OK in your book if someone rides on the footpath we are entitled to punch the driver :thumbsup:

By the way, no one can be sure by looking at this video if the bike was riding or just parked on the path. 

The old man was looking for trouble but as it is a daily hobby for many people embittered it is quite normal that they found him is in the right!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If you had bothered to continue read the thread, you would have known what I mean. Already explained that for people like you.

The thing is not that it´s illegal and the driver could get fined. Not that he´s the real moron. How come that so many foreigners come to Thailand, and believe that thier culture and way of living and reacting are applicable in Thailand. It´s another culture. Learn to react in the supposed manner, or butt the F$$K out!

You don't start a fight with a Thai who's not following the road rules or you will be fighting Thai's all day every day and we've all seen how violent Thai's can be when they lose a bit of face. 

• Like 2

It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time. Here are some of my suggestions.

1. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

3. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations.

4. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. 

6. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

Actually you've just repeated what i said.  Rules are enforced when its helpful to them.  Or perhaps thats too subtle for you?

BTW, the "thanks for the lecture" bit was dreadfully childish and unnecessary!

Think I'll have a Leo!

The motorcycle chap was in the wrong but showed surprising restraint.  From  viewing the amount of traffic driving  on the pavement I would not be surprised if it was near one of those motorcycle taxi pick up points . Knobhead probably had his fill of dodging them and took his frustration out on the stationary target !

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time. Here are some of my suggestions.

1. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind.

2. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

3. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations.

4. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. 

6. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

yeah nice one love, the only thing you forget is common sense, number 1. Thai people do not have any consideration or respect for human life. the average thai sees their journey to the 7 11 as more improtant than your safety or any one around them.

2. thai people have no common sense, yes they are ignorant , but so would you be if you trusted your amulet to save you from harm instead of your brain

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind.

2. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

don't usually read you posts as they are so long, but that did make me chuckle. and for the most part correct

• Like 1

I have added to and amended my earlier post. Too late to edit it, so will post it in the revised and more complete state.

1. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. They operate franchises, and are completely immune to oversight or prosecution. So expect corruption from them, and expect a fleecing, if you give them the slightest opportunity. They are best avoided. Always remember. In Thailand the police do not engage in law enforcement. All they do is revenue collection. 

6. Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level. 

7. If you are going to get involved with a Thai woman, take into account the fact that most are immature and emotionally undeveloped. I highly recommend looking for a woman who is the eldest child in the family. They are given far more responsibility growing up, and it shows. And remember, you are no longer in the West, which means you do not have to check your cajones at the door. Do not behave like you behaved back there. If you do that, she will take over. And take your time. Time is your ally. If it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are real issues, they will reveal themselves over time. Do not allow a woman to push the agenda. Be a man. Push back. Be strong. Do as Bond would do. 

8. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. 

• Like 2