BREAKING: Police to ban water splashing on all main and secondary roads during Songkran

snoop1130

So...here we go again!

All the grumpies will celebrate this inane BS, because they can't deal with or plan for a few days of mayhem!

May I point out one thing about my homecountry?

Every year in February, especially the western part of the country celebrates Fasching or Karneval!

That would be 4- 6 days of costumes, music and lots and lots of alcohol!

The number of accidents rises (surely) but there are very few deaths.

Very few as in ...close to none!

Why is that?

Because in my homecountry, you get caught drunk -driving...you loose your license and you are fined!

And in my homecountry, if you want to get out of your self- inflicted mess and you would hand the friendly police- officer a 50 Euro- note...you'd be in more trouble, then you were before!

I am 100% sure - having lived here for 10 years- that it is not really a matter of water- splashing, but of sensible and sober driving!

If you are sober and can adjust to the situation quickly. you would be (mostly ) aware of a gang of party- people, throwing water at everything that moves.

You might slow down, let them have their fun and then go your way!

But if you are hammered, driving with three persons and at unreasonable speed and are not aware of things, going on a few meters ahead...that's when the trouble starts!

And IF you are on a motocy on Songhkhran and you absolutely HAVE to go somewhere at high - speed...well...you should not be on a motocy!

All these half@r$ed measures, that will now be taken, are just to save face for the police.

And all you people who go "finally...something will be done about those unruly party- people", play right into the hands of these face- saving morons!

Making this against the law does not mean much here. The real question is, can they get the toy police to behave like law enforcement officials, for just a few days? If so, that would be the annual exception. It is a good idea. Throwing water at passing motorbikes is the height of lunacy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DM07 said:

And IF you are on a motocy on Songhkhran and you absolutely HAVE to go somewhere at high - speed...well...you should not be on a motocy!

Even driving down the road on a motorbike , when someone jumps out at you and is going to throw something at you , your instinctive action is to turn your face from the attack and this causes you to turn the bike away from the attack and if theres a bus coming along side you , you may go straight under the bus 

I do sometimes look at the Songram revelers and think to myself "I wish I could be like that" , fire a water pistol and someone and start laughing............for four days.

Imagine that , four days of hysterical laughter firing a water pistol and random passers by .

• Like 1

For once I'm with our forum know-it-alls. Police said this last year, and more, and it didn't happen in Pattaya anyway. They did confiscate the powder but evidently only for the last day. No confiscation of PVC pipes.

Edited by JSixpack

14 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Pretty dangerous activity I think. How ever funny throwing water might be it is not worth knocking a person off a motorcycle resulting in a death or serious injury.

You should slow down and drive by them very very slowly, A few might even respect when you show your hand ask them not to throw at them.

I was walking down the street last Songran and two felangs were around a corner and as I walked by  , they deliberately fired a high powered water pistol into my ear , deliberately aiming for my ear hole .

They were standing there giggling .

I came very close to beating them up .

90 % there

• Sad 1

A troll post has been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

14 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Pretty dangerous activity I think. How ever funny throwing water might be it is not worth knocking a person off a motorcycle resulting in a death or serious injury.

Oh but it is. That's the whole point, while you can get away with it. :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, DM07 said:

So...here we go again!

All the grumpies will celebrate this inane BS, because they can't deal with or plan for a few days of mayhem!

May I point out one thing about my homecountry?

Every year in February, especially the western part of the country celebrates Fasching or Karneval!

That would be 4- 6 days of costumes, music and lots and lots of alcohol!

The number of accidents rises (surely) but there are very few deaths.

Very few as in ...close to none!

Why is that?

Because in my homecountry, you get caught drunk -driving...you loose your license and you are fined!

And in my homecountry, if you want to get out of your self- inflicted mess and you would hand the friendly police- officer a 50 Euro- note...you'd be in more trouble, then you were before!

I am 100% sure - having lived here for 10 years- that it is not really a matter of water- splashing, but of sensible and sober driving!

If you are sober and can adjust to the situation quickly. you would be (mostly ) aware of a gang of party- people, throwing water at everything that moves.

You might slow down, let them have their fun and then go your way!

But if you are hammered, driving with three persons and at unreasonable speed and are not aware of things, going on a few meters ahead...that's when the trouble starts!

All these half@r$ed measures, that will now be taken, are just to save face for the police.

And all you people who go "finally...something will be done about those unruly party- people", play right into the hands of these face- saving morons!

In LOS where nobody cares about road laws or dangers of chucking water at bikers, there will always be casualties. Perhaps your homeland folks have a bit of common sense about the dangers of what they get up too...Never happen here..

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, transam said:

In LOS where nobody cares about road laws or dangers of chucking water at bikers, there will always be casualties. Perhaps your homeland folks have a bit of common sense about the dangers of what they get up too...Never happen here..

Kind of!

It's a lot about making laws and enforcing them!

And you are right: Never happen here!

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, those laws are not being strictly enforced .

Those laws are a major factor in road casualties that law enforcement ignores.

You quote "Lanterns", the sellers of them will be prosecuted, so now folk can't buy them.

51 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Even driving down the road on a motorbike , when someone jumps out at you and is going to throw something at you , your instinctive action is to turn your face from the attack and this causes you to turn the bike away from the attack and if theres a bus coming along side you , you may go straight under the bus 

Oh come on...get real!

During Songkhran, you usually can see groups of "water- throwers" from miles away!

It is not like someone is hiding behind a tree or a house- corner and jumps out, when a speeding bullet- rider appears! 

48 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do sometimes look at the Songram revelers and think to myself "I wish I could be like that" , fire a water pistol and someone and start laughing............for four days.

Imagine that , four days of hysterical laughter firing a water pistol and random passers by .

Simple minds have more fun in life.

1 minute ago, DM07 said:

Oh come on...get real!

During Songkhran, you usually can see groups of "water- throwers" from miles away!

It is not like someone is hiding behind a tree or a house- corner and jumps out, when a speeding bullet- rider appears! 

Maybe so, if you live in the Coutryside , but its different when you live in the city

6 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Oh come on...get real!

Well, you are obviously not living on planet Pattaya because, here, that's exactly what they do!

• Like 1

Do the Pattaya bar owners have any say in any decision to designate an alcohol free 

water throwing area. Can they choose between allowing throwing water or selling alcohol from their premises?

People will say 'They will choose to sell alcohol'

Wrong! They will say 'throw all the water you want but drink your booze from a cup!'

Edited by Lemonltr

8 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Simple minds have more fun in life.

Yes, when a middle aged Westerner comes up to me a squirts me with a water pistol , I really wish that I could burst out laughing , I would have such a fun four days

I think it can be done. 

the people will go to designated areas if the police come and enforce it. I think the police will enforce it too.

Places like Pattaya will be impossible but most areas in Bangkok it will get done and in most cities across the country it will get done.

Once the police start stopping the trucks and fining them the thai's will cave in. It will be like a check stop they will do a uturn and go to designated area.

Last year here in Lomsak it was pretty well under control. 

There were no lanterns for sale in Lomsak last year. Most people in trucks were centrally located driving around in a circle  in the center of the city. The only ones I saw throwing water outside the designated area were young children in front of their parents home. and hey kids need to have fun.cannot deprive them of that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Oh come on...get real!

Wrong you are.