Phuket to be a foam-free city

webfact

Phuket to be a foam-free city

"Styrene is a carcinogen that causes three types of cancer, including prostate cancer, breast cancer and liver cancer."

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

30273559-01-sld-681x369.jpg

Phuket Vice Governor, Thavorn Kongkaew, chaired the signing of Memorandums of Understanding between the government sector, the private sector and local associations. The MOUs are aiming to stop the use of foam material containers in Phuket. There were 13 companies granted a certificate of honour for being foam-free.

“Phuket is one of the most popular tourism destinations in the country. Apart from being responsible for the locals, we also have to be responsible for the tourists. The food packages must be of a high safety standard; that’s why we signed the MOU today to make Phuket 100% free of foam (poly styrene) containers,” said the Vice Governor.

“We receive a great coordination from paper package entrepreneurs including Thai Paper and Biodegradable Packaging for Environment (BPE), who signed the MOU with us and will help produce environmentally-friendly packages at a reasonable price. 

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle/phuket-to-be-a-foam-free-city

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-03-23

In principle a great idea BUT...

It'll either never see the light of day, get stupefied beyond recognition, or contain so many caveats that it only applies to vendors with a 5 star Michelin rating who recite the entire works of Shakespeare to every customer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Styrene is a carcinogen that causes three types of cancer, including prostate cancer, breast cancer and liver cancer."

If this statement is true then the Thai Ministry of Health and the food and drug safety administration are in serious default. Polystyrene foam is made, sold and used throughout the Kingdom.

Meanwhile the PU foam boys spray houses, bars, & theatres with  highly toxic  product that if involved in a fire will emit smoke that will kill you in a confined space.

Those who have been here a while may remember Santika Night Club in Bangkok .

30+ of the unfortunates died without a burn on their body

• Thanks 1

I too support this initiative and wish them well.  Good on them. They need our support.

For our part we refuse plastic bags and avoid as much single use plastic as possible.  It is surprising how much this approach is supported and understood by selling staff here in markets and stores.

It is now becoming the norm in places like the UK and Australia to avoid single use plastic. Attitudes are changing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

In principle a great idea BUT...

It'll either never see the light of day, get stupefied beyond recognition, or contain so many caveats that it only applies to vendors with a 5 star Michelin rating who recite the entire works of Shakespeare to every customer 

Yer... if they had supplied an implementation date, I would even mark it in my calander to regurgitate this rubbish as yet another example of blah blah look over there... but then... we all know that it will never happen (lol... so hang the do do on it now)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

If this statement is true then the Thai Ministry of Health and the food and drug safety administration are in serious default. Polystyrene foam is made, sold and used throughout the Kingdom.

If?.... lol... it’s s statement by a Thai body.

meanwhile, FDA studies show that styrene contamination of food products is 10 000 times below the maximum safe level, and have approved the addition of styrene in actual food products.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

The usual negative comments again for a laudable initiative that will hopefully have some results.

A "laudable initiative" maybe but then there is, as history shows, the reality as it applies to Thailand (among others).

No mention of a time frame? Not going to happen. Falls into the same category as 'we' are going to do something about the road toll!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, JoePai said:

The problem is 'Biodegradable Packaging' is  a lot more expensive than polystyrene

Banana leaves are not. In the good old days that's what they used here - and they still could.

Edited by Krataiboy

On 3/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, JoePai said:

The problem is 'Biodegradable Packaging' is  a lot more expensive than polystyrene

Banana leaves are not. In the good old days that's what they used here - and they still could.

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

A "laudable initiative" maybe but then there is, as history shows, the reality as it applies to Thailand (among others).

No mention of a time frame? Not going to happen. Falls into the same category as 'we' are going to do something about the road toll!

So you use my comment on negativity to post even more negativity. :passifier:

16 hours ago, farcanell said:

If?.... lol... it’s s statement by a Thai body.

meanwhile, FDA studies show that styrene contamination of food products is 10 000 times below the maximum safe level, and have approved the addition of styrene in actual food products.

The FDA has a history of favourig the interests of powerful commercial interests above those of US consumers - which may explain why last year San Francisco joined the growing list of cities in the US and elsewhere which have outlawed this controversial material.

If it is as dangerous as the good burghers of Phuket believe - and it would be helpful to know the source of their eyebrow-raising claims regarding its toxicity - then they are to be commended for their crack-down

For anyone interested in knowing more, here are some interesting insights into the history and potential risks associated with polystyrene food containers, etc:

http://naturallysavvy.com/live/put-down-that-styrofoam-cup-dangers-of-polystyrene

9 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The FDA has a history of favourig the interests of powerful commercial interests above those of US consumers - which may explain why last year San Francisco joined the growing list of cities in the US and elsewhere which have outlawed this controversial material.

If it is as dangerous as the good burghers of Phuket believe - and it would be helpful to know the source of their eyebrow-raising claims regarding its toxicity - then they are to be commended for their crack-down

For anyone interested in knowing more, here are some interesting insights into the history and potential risks associated with polystyrene food containers, etc:

http://naturallysavvy.com/live/put-down-that-styrofoam-cup-dangers-of-polystyrene

So... in response you refer the post to a self proclaim “healthy living expert” and her largely unsupported opinion (1 only of her justifications to avoid styrene products is relevant to consumption) ....Zing!.... I’m sure her 6760 followers will be impressed (link by kraitaiboy)

Eyebrow raising source at

https://www.plasticfoodservicefacts.com/foodservice-safety/fda-safety-of-polystyrene-foodservice-products/

0E555B74-E496-4E81-B827-A6A28C75D2D2.jpeg

6 hours ago, farcanell said:

So... in response you refer the post to a self proclaim “healthy living expert” and her largely unsupported opinion (1 only of her justifications to avoid styrene products is relevant to consumption) ....Zing!.... I’m sure her 6760 followers will be impressed (link by kraitaiboy)

https://www.plasticfoodservicefacts.com/foodservice-safety/fda-safety-of-polystyrene-foodservice-products/

I wonder what she sells? :whistling:

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2018 at 10:32 PM, webfact said:

Styrene is a carcinogen that causes three types of cancer, including prostate cancer, breast cancer and liver cancer.

Please excuse my stupidity because I only have a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology and am an erstwhile chef.  The statement says that this chemical based product "...causes three types of cancer,..." then lists three such ailments but they are preceded by the word, "...including...."  I am flummoxed because after the first part of the statement there is a list of three types of cancer.  Is it possible the writer cannot count?  Just curious.

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2018 at 12:32 PM, farcanell said:

I referenced the Donsky article precisely because it spelled out in non-technical terms not just the health risks of polystyrene, but its numerous other drawbacks. I note, that your ad hominem attack does not dispute any of the information she presents.

I suggest you, and anyone else with a genuine interest in unearthing the facts about polystyrene's health risks and the credence we should give to the FDA's role in guarding a nation's health should go here:  

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287873577_Disposable_Plastic_Food_Container_and_Its_Impacts_on_Health

and here: 

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/8846804/Solet.html?sequence=2