Double-decker coach licences not renewed, says Prawit

webfact

Double-decker coach licences not renewed, says Prawit

By The Nation

61824e22acfee0533d4ce917074cc45d.jpeg

Following on the heels of a major accident involving a double-decker coach, Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has confirmed that starting in 2015 licences for the giant buses have not been renewed as they expired.

The Transport Department was also tasked with ensuring double-decker coaches already on the road met a good standard of safety, he added.

Prawit, in his capacity as the chairman of the Road Safety Policy Committee, made the comment prior to the start of a Friday morning meeting at the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department in Bangkok.

The meeting was to consider a master plan for road safety for 2017-2020 and discuss road safety measures for the upcoming Songkran holidays. Prawit said the authorities would implement various measures, including the seizure of vehicles driven by drunk drivers.

Passengers might be allowed in the cargo beds of pickup trucks, as long as they did not sit on cargo bed’s edge and the trucks were travelling at a low speed.

Public concerns are again rising over the use of double-decker coaches after Wednesday night’s tragic crash involving one of the vehicles in Nakhon Ratchasima. The crash killed 18 people and wounded 32 others onboard the bus.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341581

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-23

Prawit, in his capacity as the chairman of the Road Safety Policy Committee

You know what is astonishing - that anyone with all their faculties would actually admit to such a thing in Thailand - seriously :shock1::shock1::shock1:

• Like 1

The opening paragraphs raise a few glaring points:-

• the Transport Department was also tasked - this is following the 2015 directive, 3 years ago - with ensuring double-decker coaches, already on the road, met a good standard of safety. Does any ministry department, I wonder, have a system or protocol in place for testing these unlicensed buses? I want to see it and, if that is not possible, I want Prawit to tell me, to my face, why this is so.
  • Prawit, in his capacity as the chairman of the Road Safety Policy Committee, made the comment prior to the start of a Friday morning meeting at the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department in Bangkok. Apart from the absurdity, in most people's judgement, of Prawit being the chairman of the RSPC, having a disaster prevention meeting the day after a mega-disaster should be proof, if it were needed, that Prawit and this toothless road safety quango are simply not fit for purpose. Talk about bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
  • The meeting was to consider a master plan for road safety for 2017-2020 and discuss road safety measures for the upcoming Songkran holidays. Prawit said the authorities would implement various measures, including the seizure of vehicles driven by drunk drivers. Absolutely no comment. Prawit should be put out to grass, rather than be allowed to chair another such meeting.

Edited by Ossy
clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

And, he knows everything about double deckers.

mabey a,''double decker clubhouse with fries and a large beverage'' ...go ahead and super size that...im lovin it...

Edited by mok199
speliing
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thailand..a country that fails its people at so many levels...

Yes, and add, a nation of people who don't want to comply with even basic laws, so both ends of the string are at fault.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nikmar said:

This may be a daft question, but just how is he qualified to hold this position? 

I think it is what is sometimes referred to as a "watching brief"...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nikmar said:

This may be a daft question, but just how is he qualified to hold this position? 

He enjoys wearing expensive jewelry borrowed from “friends”... :coffee1:

A post containing content from Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, quandow said:

Does this now mean EVERY double decker tooling around Thailand is illegal?

The article is a bit distracting at best.

But no I don't think so. What was said is that all dd's licensed since 2015 will not have their licenses renewed when those licenses expire. But prior to the renewal date if a dd is found to not be in a "good standard of safety" it may lose its license sooner. Or not - this is Thailand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Now I understand why Thailand ranks No.1 in road fatalities. 

Is it some kind of venomous allusion to have a huge ad of gearbest men-s-watches on this page?:cheesy::clap2: