Unlicensed and Underaged Motorcycle riders in Schools

thhMan

There is a problem which I am sure is also in other countries, however, I am referring to Thailand specifically as I have 2 children in Thai schools and have more knowledge (not by much), of this issue as it pertains to Thailand rather than in other countries.

Thailand has a healthy reputation for being incompetent with its communities driving habits and is doing a good job of keeping a high ranking in that area.

I am also sure many Thai people have noticed how bad the road rules are ignored and bad habits are allowed to continue.

My question (and a comment), is that education IMHO, plays a large factor in driving habits and at the very least, bad habits which many do grow and fester at a young age while attending school.

In saying that, does anyone know if there have been any studies or news articles that discuss the issue of unlicensed and underage motorcycle riders that attend schools?

I am being quite specific in regards to the school aspect for a few points.

• In general, entry and exit points at schools are quite specific and schools can monitor these points to do checks on students.
  • Is this issue being addressed at any point with Governments?

Bad habits start somewhere and unless I am mistaken, schools have a responsible of due care to students, whether its reporting abusive parents to the police or dealing and educating with students who by their wishes or their parents wishes, have decided to bypass the rules and educate themselves on how to ride a scooter and how to conduct themselves on the roads and follow the rules that come with it..
The victims of course are the students, but also innocent bystanders and at some point, a few of these students will be behind the wheel of a Taxi or Bus and perhaps continue to be unlicensed and still devoid of the much needed rules of conduct on the road.

So, has this issue ever become a News article and or, does anyone know if there are Govt studies on this?

As far as I know from personal observation is that this is a non issue with the Police and Govt.
As part of that personal observation, one thing that is very clear is that Helmets are greatly ignored by students.

WIKIPEDIA states that to ride a motorcycle, a person must be 15 for under 110cc and 18 for bigger bikes, and they must have a license (Age Groups and the CC they are allowed to ride, I cannot verify, so could be wrong)
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

• Like 2

4 hours ago, canopy said:

I was once patiently stopped waiting for a light to turn green near a school. I was then slammed into by a motorcycle with several school girls riding it who were around 12 years old who also were not wearing helmets. The damage to both vehicles was substantial; theirs appeared totaled, mine needed to go to the shop for a week. They were rushed to a hospital. I wanted to get the reaction of the policeman at the scene as to why children were allowed to drive on public roads. He politely responded "it's normal". Apparently no wrong doing was seen by anyone and no lesson was learned. Reading the input from the OP I think it is a terrific idea if schools would refuse to allow underage students to drive to school. If they don't listen then call the police to be waiting the next morning to have a chat.

Only to have a chat?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"I am also sure many Thai people have noticed how bad the road rules are ignored and bad habits are allowed to continue."

You are assuming that they are already aware of what the"rules of the road" are....and what "bad habits" are by comparison to "good habits"?.

• Like 2

It always bothered me that both Thai and Foreign teachers come to school without helmets on.

I put a motion forward at an NES teacher meeting that we should all set the example and not be seen with no helmet and we should have one English lesson specifically about motorbike safety. The foreigners laughed at me.

I make a point of never having a student see me without a helmet, even on weekends. The schools are doing nothing about road safety but doing their best with litter, recycling, and the environment. Perhaps a few generations from now we'll see less trash but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Used to have a neighbor in my moo bahn with very good English skills, who had a stunningly beautiful daughter - of 14.  He bought her a brand new motorbike to drive to school about 5 miles away.  I asked him one day why he didn't love his daughter.  He looked at me as if I had suddenly sprouted a 3rd and and said: "What's the matter with you?  I love my daughter!"  I told him no, he didn't, or he wouldn't let his daughter, who just turned 14, ride a motorbike to school, and especially without a helmet.  His argument was that she was a good driver, and that I was just a stupid American.  

Less than a month later she was crushed to death beneath the wheels of a cement truck when she made an illegal right hand turn.  Later that day my wife and I walked to his house to pay our condolences.  The father flew into a rage, yelling and screaming that it was my fault his daughter had died, and I had "wished evil luck" on her.  He came charging at me, so I decked him, then sat on him and told him the only person to blame for her death was the person who looked back at him from the mirror.  Even my wife told him - "The truck didn't kill your daughter, you did by letting her ride when she was only 14."  After a few moments of struggling, all the life seemed to go out of him and he broke down crying.  I got off him and we walked away.  A week or so later he and his wife moved, putting their house up for sale.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

First of all Thai's cannot & will not be told to do anything, irrespective whether it's well meant or not! Probably the only place they do take notice is at home or in school, but once "school is out" all is forgotten. All that remains then is in the home where they do obey & respect their parents & elders of the family, hence this is the only place 24/7 where education can really take place. Sadly, due to the lack of a solid & robust educational system this doen't happen as the government has failed nearly every family unit to provide this. It's a very complex subject here in Thailand to know what to tackle first as the culture here has remained unchanged for so long. People are reluctant to change, see nothing wrong with their way of life, but all of them would like to see democracy back in government. You will never change beliefs here, their fondness of freedom to do what they want as individuals & no matter how many sensible laws & rules are introduced to benefit the country as a whole it'll not make one iota of difference to people's way of thinking. Thai's are unique & they are a "one off" when it comes to "mindset".......... It's never gonna improve & that's why "it is what it is!"............ enough said "time for a beer" ;-)  

Edited by Daveyh
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Happy Grumpy said:

The amulets protect them. 

If you believe this as a foreigner (?) albeit "tongue in cheek".................. what chance have the Thai's got?  ..... it's the "kiss of death" ............ pure fantasy, but someone is making a nice living right? ......... judging by the number of amulets on just one necklace! 

2 hours ago, rickjza said:

Did you know you are legally in the wrong?

The accident involved minors therefore you are to pay for their hospital expenses etc.

How do you work out that he is legally in the wrong?? If they slammed into him then I think you will find that they are responsible. Oh, and don't give me that "he was a farang therefore it is all his fault for being there".

Or was that a very tongue in cheek comment?

Edited by worrab
Typo error
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Used to have a neighbor in my moo bahn with very good English skills, who had a stunningly beautiful daughter - of 14.  He bought her a brand new motorbike to drive to school about 5 miles away.  I asked him one day why he didn't love his daughter.  He looked at me as if I had suddenly sprouted a 3rd and and said: "What's the matter with you?  I love my daughter!"  I told him no, he didn't, or he wouldn't let his daughter, who just turned 14, ride a motorbike to school, and especially without a helmet.  His argument was that she was a good driver, and that I was just a stupid American.  

Less than a month later she was crushed to death beneath the wheels of a cement truck when she made an illegal right hand turn.  Later that day my wife and I walked to his house to pay our condolences.  The father flew into a rage, yelling and screaming that it was my fault his daughter had died, and I had "wished evil luck" on her.  He came charging at me, so I decked him, then sat on him and told him the only person to blame for her death was the person who looked back at him from the mirror.  Even my wife told him - "The truck didn't kill your daughter, you did by letting her ride when she was only 14."  After a few moments of struggling, all the life seemed to go out of him and he broke down crying.  I got off him and we walked away.  A week or so later he and his wife moved, putting their house up for sale.  

Cool story bro. 

My Daughters School  has several young female drivers ( M1 age ) of cars driving to School on a daily basis.

Do the School or the Police care - you bet they dont.

Many kids bribe their parents with the " if you dont buy me a Motorcycle, I wont go to School " , so the parents buy the Motorcycle as they are just too plain lazy to care for the kids and take them to school in a safe way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

My Daughters School  has several young female drivers ( M1 age ) of cars driving to School on a daily basis.

Do the School or the Police care - you bet they dont.

Many kids bribe their parents with the " if you dont buy me a Motorcycle, I wont go to School " , so the parents buy the Motorcycle as they are just too plain lazy to care for the kids and take them to school in a safe way.

I find that hard to believe. 13 year olds driving cars to schools? Motorcycles' yes but cars, hard for me to digest.

are you out in the sticks?

Growing up in America I learned to drive a car at Age 12.  Most of America was rural and not many cars. However, I drove a push bike to school or walked. My parents would never let me drive a motor bike or car to school except when I turned age 16- when it was legal to drive.

I can somewhat understand that Thai parents may work long hours; have limited funds and a motorcycle for their children to get to school makes sense to them.  What I fail to understand is why the schools or the police or some Government entity do not offer education on driving and the etiquette that goes along with it. This would save lives and be a benefit to the community.

As far as the poster who attempted to advise his neighbor of the folly of letting his dau drive a cycle- this is a perfect example of why a foreigner should never give personal advice to a Thai person. They will never accept it and should something happen- they will blame the person who gave the advice not the act.  Thais seldom give each other advice on anything and seldom even discuss things that can be 'upsetting'. As rational foreigners- we find this whole concept of 'Thainess' absurd and nonsensical.   It used to drive me mad- but I have learned one thing- no matter how right it might be- they just can't accept the truth. So to maintain harmony- I keep quiet. 

• Like 1

We live in a village and see many underage children riding motos. Some can’t touch the ground when moto is upright. 

1- It’s dangerous if not properly taught. Most of you have see the 10? Year old that was killed when a moto from side street entered the main road. 

2 - I understand in some cases the excuse is it’s the only way  to get to shcool. In the village there are several school buses picking up children. 

3 - Its our job as parents to teach our children so when they get older they don’t run into trouble. A large number of children in the village drop out of school in 8th grade. I don’t kn what it’s called in Thailand but @ 14 yr old. Ultimately it gives them no opportunities in the future. 

4 - For starters anyone breaking driving laws should be stopped to give a warning. If the child is a repeat offender levy a fine for both No hemlet and No drivers license. As well make the parents go to police station 

With child to pay fine and a short video on drivers laws and show accidents to help educate. 

We wont go into underage drinking in the village. Very young children look to be 11ish at concerts. 

These things are recipe for disaster in some children. 

Edited by DJ54
Add

3 hours ago, rickjza said:

Did you know you are legally in the wrong?

The accident involved minors therefore you are to pay for their hospital expenses etc.

It is still only the 25th March. You are about a week early with your post.:laugh:

• Haha 1