Unlicensed and Underaged Motorcycle riders in Schools

thhMan

2 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Where I work the syllabus includes Thai Dancing for all M1 & M4 students.

I kid you not, 2 lessons per week c/w with midterm and final examinations

Road safety doesn't get a mention and when I suggest students shouldn't be allowed to come on motorcycles until they'd completed a compulsory course and shown competency, I was the stupid farang

Never try to change anything in Thailand, stupidity always wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

First of all Thai's cannot & will not be told to do anything, irrespective whether it's well meant or not! Probably the only place they do take notice is at home or in school, but once "school is out" all is forgotten. All that remains then is in the home where they do obey & respect their parents & elders of the family, hence this is the only place 24/7 where education can really take place. Sadly, due to the lack of a solid & robust educational system this doen't happen as the government has failed nearly every family unit to provide this. It's a very complex subject here in Thailand to know what to tackle first as the culture here has remained unchanged for so long. People are reluctant to change, see nothing wrong with their way of life, but all of them would like to see democracy back in government. You will never change beliefs here, their fondness of freedom to do what they want as individuals & no matter how many sensible laws & rules are introduced to benefit the country as a whole it'll not make one iota of difference to people's way of thinking. Thai's are unique & they are a "one off" when it comes to "mindset".......... It's never gonna improve & that's why "it is what it is!"............ enough said "time for a beer" ;-)  

Lack of common sense is in the Thai genes, and that is the main reason things will never change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

I find that hard to believe. 13 year olds driving cars to schools? Motorcycles' yes but cars, hard for me to digest.

are you out in the sticks?

I live out in the sticks and was a school teacher for three years and I have never seen any 13 year olds

driving a car.

Edited by possum1931

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I live out in the sticks and was a school teacher for three years and I have never seen any 13 year olds

driving a car.

Possum me ole mate, you have never seen a 13 year old driving a car?

Come for another visit, i will show you 1.

Last month wifes sister stopped outside our gate, got out of vios to talk with the wife, nephew 13 got in the drivers seat and drove the car off.

I went ballistic, s.i.l. said nothing wrong he is a good driver.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

This is Thailand, no amount of our complaining about how it should become more westernized will ever change it. When in Rome ...

Not talking about becoming more westernised............how about thinking of consequences, recognising danger, lack of experience and using plain old common sense. But wait TIT, so none of that applies as the gene pool isn't that well developed yet.

And for the record I will not adopt their driving habits, Rome or not!!

• Thanks 1

Posters here must have led very sheltered lives, I was involved in more thrills, spills, and near misses as a child and teenager than I care to remember. Seriously!! if I recall my antics I begin to wonder how I did survive, pure luck had to come into it on more than one occasion!

Even these days I cycle on busy roads my reflexes are frequently called into action to avoid pedestrians just stepping off the curb, and motorists who simply fail to see my hi viz and flashing lights!!

Most like myself have learnt by experience, through my youth I rode a bicycle without a helmet, as an adult I rode my bicycle without a helmet, I hit a road sign post in the dark and split my head open, just a lot of blood, and a cut, nothing serious. The following day I bought a helmet.

The next day I saw a cyclist without a helmet, know what I thought?

"Look at that idiot without a helmet" :smile:

We all learn best from our own experiences, unfortunately for some a lesson is not learnt soon enough, and, I agree road safety lessons would be noble attempt to curb fatal accidents. Education/training is the key, as we see with the people in the back of a ute fiasco, where there is no viable alternative a ban just will not work. Same with the minibus situation.

We observe many government groups set up for projects that affect government, popularity, and revenue, how about giving something back to the people? Along with the national childrens day, how about a national childrens road safety day? A day where videos, training and participation are all encouraged. Previously I can understand not so much of a requirement, but times are changing, more cars and commercial vehicles, greater use of motorcycles, the time has arrived for action.

I instruct my children on things such as Helmets. Small wins where I can, they still do not see the need for every journey around home. To be honest I am a poor example on that one too!

On the other hand It pleases me when my son, who likes to ride up front, jumps in and snaps on his seat belt without being told (most times) I could swear you can almost see the 'smart kid' look on the face of some of the drivers :smile:

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Last month wifes sister stopped outside our gate, got out of vios to talk with the wife, nephew 13 got in the drivers seat and drove the car off.

I believe you Colin, that is the sort of mentality I am always going on about, lack of

common sense from the rice farmer to the Top politicians, but there are also exceptions.

28 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Over reaction on your part, I was driving tractors and fully loaded trailers at 11 years old. Nosey neighbour kept complaining though. Funnily enough a couple of years later when my driving skills helped him harvest wasn't such a big deal :smile:

My GFs kid who is 12 rides motorbike to school, refuses to wear helmet. I asked the missus what that sign front house. Bus stop for school. I then asked why he not use it. Bus not stop internet cafe way home. Then said why he not use tablet I got him at home. He like to play with friends. The faxt that his father was killed in a motorcycle accident appears lost.

Really, if you look at what many posters here have said and then lump then altogether (that is experience from various people) the OP can see it not just schools that can help with this problem; it, more or less, involves everyone Thai. Laws have to be enforced; fines should be higher; parents should held accountable; and the list goes on.

Below is what happened when two young girls (13, 14 years old) driving the wrong way hit my parked car outside a shop. They were busy chatting and not looking ahead. The shop owner phoned their mother who arrived a little later (policeman and my insurance involved later.)

The point I want emphasize here is that I have seen these girls since, still driving the wrong way and no helmets. Now, if they can't work it out that hitting a parked car is not going to be as dangerous as hitting one that is moving toward them, then I fear any words of wisdom from anyone will fall on deaf ears.

accid11-7-14-3.jpg

accid11-7-14-4.jpg

accid11-7-14-1.jpg

accid11-7-14-2.jpg

accid11-7-14-9mc.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Really, if you look at what many posters here have said and then lump then altogether (that is experience from various people) the OP can see it not just schools that can help with this problem; it, more or less, involves everyone Thai. Laws have to be enforced; fines should be higher; parents should held accountable; and the list goes on.

Below is what happened when two young girls (13, 14 years old) driving the wrong way hit my parked car outside a shop. They were busy chatting and not looking ahead. The shop owner phoned their mother who arrived a little later (policeman and my insurance involved later.)

The point I want emphasize here is that I have seen these girls since, still driving the wrong way and no helmets. Now, if they can't work it out that hitting a parked car is not going to be as dangerous as hitting one that is moving toward them, then I fear any words of wisdom from anyone will fall on deaf ears.

accid11-7-14-3.jpg

accid11-7-14-4.jpg

accid11-7-14-1.jpg

accid11-7-14-2.jpg

accid11-7-14-9mc.jpg

I have no time for them, for me they are  just morons, never  learn never  will, until they are dead, same mistakes over and over, their dealins with money are  pretty comical too, Wife's nephew  just lost about 500k baht in a   "get rich quick scheme"

I don't believe there is any study regarding the questions being ask because in able to do a study you must actually see and understand the problem which no department, no individual or leaders in Thailand does.

I written to the government years ago before they even became #1 in the world never heard anything some said I would be arrested etc.. but I'm still here.

The problem noted I consider from my experience working along with the Transportation Department in the States, that this allowances for kids to come and go from school is the actual FACTORY OF DEATH to their problems! You ask adults who came from the same factory to obtain license but allow kids because I heard the government "  the kids got to get to school to get their education "  they learn and copy from their parents and peer all the wrong habits and these wrong habits are label " this is Thailand " that are killing their greatest resource. By the time they actually have to get one it is nothing but a obstacle  nothing changes thereafter, their habit are embedded in them. They take these habits from a motorbike to a car, or commercial vehicle. Then the government talks a good talk but lack the will and resources to make the changes!

Driving 101.. Monkey see Monkey Do! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Over reaction on your part, I was driving tractors and fully loaded trailers at 11 years old. Nosey neighbour kept complaining though. Funnily enough a couple of years later when my driving skills helped him harvest wasn't such a big deal :smile:

Wrong not an over reaction, same idiot of a boy just out of hospital after being stupid on a motorbike.

I also drove tractors at 10/11 but not on a public road, which is what the nephew did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, siamcrut said:

It will take at least another 20 years, to improve road safety here and teach them proper driving habits...

It'll never change. Thailand & its neighbours have had many more yrs then some other countries to get it right, but still remains the same.

The thing that surprises me is, if you were to hit one of them ( & hopefully not have killed ), the lynch mob would be after you. While your thinking "No Way " they shouldn't be on the road without a Lisence.

& if it was vise versa there wouldn't be any compensation to you with the parents no doubt saying it's a child & has no Ins. or money leaving you to face a more expensive Ins. bill next yr

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wrong not an over reaction, same idiot of a boy just out of hospital after being stupid on a motorbike.

I also drove tractors at 10/11 but not on a public road, which is what the nephew did.

Well it appears he was safer in the car Colin :smile:

15 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

It'll never change. Thailand & its neighbours have had many more yrs then some other countries to get it right, but still remains the same.

The thing that surprises me is, if you were to hit one of them ( & hopefully not have killed ), the lynch mob would be after you. While your thinking "No Way " they shouldn't be on the road without a Lisence.

& if it was vise versa there wouldn't be any compensation to you with the parents no doubt saying it's a child & has no Ins. or money leaving you to face a more expensive Ins. bill next yr

Typical western attitude look for an excuse for running someone or something over, rather than drive more carefully, 'they should not have been on the road' blah blah blah, as if you knew this when you flattened them or forced them into a ditch! Any 'rules' in Thailand official or not that encourage more careful driving by car owners in the proximity of motorcycles and cycles should be embraced. Not always the fault of the young drivers. I guess if the young nurse had not 'been there' she would have escaped the trauma and injury!!

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Typical western attitude look for an excuse for running someone or something over, rather than drive more carefully, 'they should not have been on the road' blah blah blah, as if you knew this when you flattened them or forced them into a ditch! Any 'rules' in Thailand official or not that encourage more careful driving by car owners in the proximity of motorcycles and cycles should be embraced. Not always the fault of the young drivers. I guess if the young nurse had not 'been there' she would have escaped the trauma and injury!!

I think your way of course. There's a phrase that goes something like this " Accidents do happen "

It's not about being a kumacasie driver - It's about if I/we are expected to abide by the law (with all the T's & I's ) to appease the Police & Insurance companies then since TIT it doesn't matter about the kids or their parents who should be paying on their behalf incase something did go wrong

So many ideas and suggestions how to change Thailand to be something like the countries you came from and the Thai people to the people in your countries.... Yes, there are many bad things going on here but also many good things (I belive you  must think there are good things here, otherwise why did you come to live here?), but all in all when someone choose to move to a country other then his native place, he should understand that it is a package deal with parts he likes and parts he might not. Doesn't matter how logical or illogical some things seem to you, it might be different for other people.

Edited by LukKrueng

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

I think the point BEVUP was getting at is a valid one: When the numbers of untrained and inexperienced riders on the road increase so will the accident rate, this rate will of course be elevated further when youth is added to the mix...  unfortunately many of the accidents this demographic are involved in can be avoided with education, training, experience and of course, age.

In the awful case of the nurse on her bike who was innocent and the car driver careless (brake failure my hat)... many an experienced rider in Thailand would remove themselves from the potential line of fire by stopping at the side of the road when first at the lights. Of course, this will not stop accidents caused by careless drivers. 

All accidents cannot be prevented, but it would not be foolish to consider that many lives can be saved with the application of a little common sense and a healthy level of law enforcement. 

Separating cars and motorcycles is a good idea... but motorcyclists will still hit motorcyclists and the younger they are, the more inexperienced they are the more likely this is to occur. 

And to draw on your point of the 'Typical Western attitude' that its a little late to consider that they [victims] should not have been there when they are flattened or in a ditch... well, given an adequate response to these incidents (education & enforcement) they may well have not been there, driving the wrong way down the road at night without lights etc (just one of many examples).... in many cases, quite rightly, the accident would not have happened if they were not breaking the law.... Tragic, but its no less true and by no means would it suggest that anyone would not try to avoid an accident at all costs just because 'they shouldn't be there'....  

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

So many ideas and suggestions how to change Thailand to be something like the countries you came from and the Thai people to the people in your countries.... Yes, there are many bad things going on here but also many good things (I belive you  must think there are good things here, otherwise why did you come to live here?), but all in all when someone choose to move to a country other then his native place, he should understand that it is a package deal with parts he likes and parts he might not. Doesn't matter how logical or illogical some things seem to you, it might be different for other people.

No excuse for letting kids drive without helmets just completely negligent and thailand should be ashamed about this. No proper training for kids on the road. Same again. Shameful 

• Like 2

The road issue is so bad I plan everything based on shortest distance. Distance from house to school etc.

We're on the other side of town from the hospital we would go to should there be an emergency. We are 1 mile from a better hospital.

I thought common sense would prevail and I thought wrong.

17 hours ago, canopy said:

I was once patiently stopped waiting for a light to turn green near a school. I was then slammed into by a motorcycle with several school girls riding it who were around 12 years old who also were not wearing helmets. The damage to both vehicles was substantial; theirs appeared totaled, mine needed to go to the shop for a week. They were rushed to a hospital. I wanted to get the reaction of the policeman at the scene as to why children were allowed to drive on public roads. He politely responded "it's normal". Apparently no wrong doing was seen by anyone and no lesson was learned. Reading the input from the OP I think it is a terrific idea if schools would refuse to allow underage students to drive to school. If they don't listen then call the police to be waiting the next morning to have a chat.

I'm surprised that you were not asked to take full responsibility, because they are poor.

I think posters are looking to blame youth, and the fact that there are many motorcycle accidents in Thailand is not due to an increase in young riders, as much as an increase in the quantity of motor vehicles traveling at speed!

What about the U turn accidents that are so prevalent? age? no just a piss poor way of turning traffic rather than making a bridge turn.

Ask yourself why motorcycles travel against the flow, again poor traffic systems and the risk of being undone by red light flyers.

I do not think youth is a common denominator in terms of the legality of dead drivers, I think speed, alcohol, drugs,road systems, and yes ok to a lesser extent training.

I can tell you this, my daughter is more capable of getting herself to school on a motorsi than riding with me!!

So yes train the young, yes, insist on helmets, yes, but let us not lose sight of the fact that the majority two wheel travelers who die on Thai roads are not underage school kids.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Thus does Thailand remain top of the stats for road deaths.

(Really good at vegetable sculpting though)

"Som nam na"

Edited by Enoon