Any more baggage thefts and contracts will be scrapped, says AOT

webfact

Any more baggage thefts and contracts will be scrapped, says AOT

c0e8c6675f7f42921d8c82ff2d8fb851.jpg

FILE photo

The Airports Authority of Thailand have told baggage handling companies that if there are any more cases of theft contracts will be cancelled.

The move comes after a spate of thefts from passengers' bags reported at airports in Thailand.

Nitinai Sirisamatkarn a senior manager at AOT said that warnings had been issued to the companies that enough was enough.

If there were no more thefts companies could see out their contracts.

Contracts for parking arrangements and security are also set to be renewed, reported Channel 7.

Don Muang airport will be the first airport with a new parking system.

Security arrangements will be out for tender at all airports with new operators and systems expected to be in place by March or April of next year.

Source: Channel 7 News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-27
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

...............but tourists are rich! Is'nt it our cultural right to steal from them?

They won't steal from me, i now have a pack-safe backpack which has a steel wire mesh and a solid lock.

Last year in the plane there was a chinese-looking guy who came from the back of the plane, got my backpack out of the compartment above me to open it with me looking at it from 50 cm distance...when he put his hand in it i stood up and yelled at him to leave..

Be carefull out there...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

About 6 months ago AOT announced that they had decided to cancel all baggage handling outside contracts and start recruiting their own AT direct employees for this work.

Typical.........the POB also said they would stamp out corruption and make the roads safer. Integrity doesn't translate here!

21 minutes ago, Thian said:

They won't steal from me, i now have a pack-safe backpack which has a steel wire mesh and a solid lock.

Last year in the plane there was a chinese-looking guy who came from the back of the plane, got my backpack out of the compartment above me to open it with me looking at it from 50 cm distance...when he put his hand in it i stood up and yelled at him to leave..

Be carefull out there...

Nothing a good knife won't open....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

About 6 months ago AOT announced that they had decided to cancel all baggage handling outside contracts and start recruiting their own AT direct employees for this work.

After they cancelled the contracts I wonder if the AOT will come up with job ads looking for "experienced" baggage handlers. Then see what happens.:unsure:

I landed here in Bangkok last week and straight away noticed my padlock had been removed from the joining zipper and locked again on just one zip. This has happened 3x now but only when travelling to Thailand. Luckily I only pack my clobber and no valuables as I’m sure they would of gone walkies on those three occasions.

A friend of mine just flew here and he noticed one of his small bags was a bit unzipped. I guess somebody stole some biking equipment. Snakes! I will be forced to check in my $1,000+ drone next week so I'm going to buy a little GPS tracker and hide it in the drone case. 

7 minutes ago, diddygq said:

A friend of mine just flew here and he noticed one of his small bags was a bit unzipped. I guess somebody stole some biking equipment. Snakes! I will be forced to check in my $1,000+ drone next week so I'm going to buy a little GPS tracker and hide it in the drone case. 

why would you take the chance?

3 minutes ago, diddygq said:

Umh -  I am sure I read somewhere that drones are not legal unless licenced...

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

why would you take the chance?

I'm going to Taiwan and the whole point for buying the drone is to get awesome footage of my travels. I'm not worried about bringing it to Taiwan but coming back to Don Muang is another story.  

7 minutes ago, diddygq said:

I'm going to Taiwan and the whole point for buying the drone is to get awesome footage of my travels. I'm not worried about bringing it to Taiwan but coming back to Don Muang is another story.  

i understand the purpose of the drone, but if you are concerned why check it?

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Nothing a good knife won't open....

I’ve got a similar mesh that wraps around my back pack.

True it isn't 100%. 

However it would take an extremely determined thief a fair while to cut through the mesh. 

For security when travelling, it’s as good as it gets, short of watching your backpack 24/7. 

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Umh -  I am sure I read somewhere that drones are not legal unless licenced...

Yeah, you now need to register drones in Thailand. I submitted my documents 7 months ago. 2 1/2 months later I go to check on it and seems they lost the documents and had to start the whole process over. I have been flying it unregistered but I literally just picked up the registration from the CAAT office in IT Square today. So, I'm good to go. 

It's a really dodgy rule. I've heard about some officials not letting drones come in because they haven't been registered but the only way you can register it is to do it here. Some guy literally makes up some idiotic rule without thinking. He usually holds a senior position and the peons just agree with him. It goes on in every sector here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

i understand the purpose of the drone, but if you are concerned why check it?

Because the size of the drone and the power of the controller. They wouldn't allow me to carry it on last time. I'm going to try but I doubt it. 

21 minutes ago, diddygq said:

Because the size of the drone and the power of the controller. They wouldn't allow me to carry it on last time. I'm going to try but I doubt it. 

ah, yes the battery issue.

thankfully its not likely considered an easily disposable item by theives. nor is it easily gotten out of the airport like cash or jewelery

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I landed here in Bangkok last week and straight away noticed my padlock had been removed from the joining zipper and locked again on just one zip. This has happened 3x now but only when travelling to Thailand. Luckily I only pack my clobber and no valuables as I’m sure they would of gone walkies on those three occasions.

Same here, I booked in a bit early on the Thai side & when picked up bag in Brisbane the good solid padlock was missing 

2 minutes ago, owenm said:

Are these so called bag tamperings occurring at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airport? Is one worse than the other, or are AOT all the same?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They are going on at both. However, the recent news articles I've read mainly focused on Suvarnabhumi and my guess would be that it happens more often there because there are more international flights.

These baggage handlers are brain dead numbnuts though and I don't think they really care. Police recently found a room either in Phuket or Krabi filled with stolen goods from airport luggage. 

6 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

How was it removed? The lock broken, the suitcase clasp broken or opened with a key.

The problem with that kind of situation is you can never be sure whether it was attempted thieving or airport security wanting to inspect something. In the U.S., the TSA is supposed to leave a note inside if they open your suitcase. But here, I don't think that's done.

I came back from the U.S. to BKK on China Southern a couple years back. Upon arrival in BKK, found my main suitcase had the TSA padlock removed/missing, both metal clasps on the suitcase zipper tabs broken off, and the contents inside tossed.  Who did it???

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I’ve got a similar mesh that wraps around my back pack.

True it isn't 100%. 

However it would take an extremely determined thief a fair while to cut through the mesh. 

For security when travelling, it’s as good as it gets, short of watching your backpack 24/7. 

My safepack had a lock with numbers...after a week it wouldn't open anymore with the right code...so i took a pair of players and cracked it in a few seconds...was a crappy lock anyway, if that happens while in a hotel you can't open your own backpack.

Now i have a nice steel lock with a key. And not one the american customs can open with their masterkey like many suitcases have...if the luggagecrew at any airport can have a copy of that masterkey they can open ANY bag without any trace...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thian said:

My safepack had a lock with numbers...after a week it wouldn't open anymore with the right code...so i took a pair of players and cracked it in a few seconds...was a crappy lock anyway, if that happens while in a hotel you can't open your own backpack.

Now i have a nice steel lock with a key. And not one the american customs can open with their masterkey like many suitcases have...if the luggagecrew at any airport can have a copy of that masterkey they can open ANY bag without any trace...

I also use a high end steel lock to seal the mesh.

The lock and mesh combined cost nearly as much as the backpack. 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How was it removed? The lock broken, the suitcase clasp broken or opened with a key.

The problem with that kind of situation is you can never be sure whether it was attempted thieving or airport security wanting to inspect something. In the U.S., the TSA is supposed to leave a note inside if they open your suitcase. But here, I don't think that's done.

I know they do security checks but it seems to be only when I land in thailand that this has happened. All three times the lock has been seperated from the joining zips and locked back on a single zip and my bag partially left opened. And yes you are right , if it was an authorised security check there would be some sort of note or label on or in the bag and my bag would be secured after and not left open .

And yes the lock had been opened every time and not broken.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This happened to me: I had to transfer planes in Detroit for a flight to BKK.  I was late to the gate so my bags, which were transferred from my connecting flight, were removed from the BKK flight.  I made it to the plane in time for take-off but was late for boarding -- hey, when they say 11:00 I had no idea that they meant 10:40.  The airline guy was pissed off at me, I think I messed up his "on time" record.  He told me the bags would be reloaded but they weren't, they came to BKK on a later flight, and I think he held them back to punish me.  Worked out well, though, I didn't have to schlep my bags from the airport, so checked into my hotel late at night useless with jet lag and the bags were delivered in the morning.

Anyway yes, one of my locks was clipped and inside was printed card from the TSA telling how my bag was inspected.  I understand it, a bag without a passenger does indeed sound suspicious.  Coulda sworn I took a pic of the card but can't find it just now.

Indonesia was (is?) notorious for luggage rifling, here's how I trussed up my bag 10+ years ago.  Better living with duct tape.

tape.jpg.18ed0ffa28d319f1002b772fe3107362.jpg