Tires. What kind of mileage do you get?

Spaniel

I know everybody's vehicle , driving habits etc will be different so tire replacement times will be a moving target.     My current vehicle, a CRV,  purchased in Sept 2014 has 64,000 km and still ok tread but will probably replace before I reach 70,000.    What is your tire replacement experience?

• Sad 1

The old CRV had around  70,000 on it when we sold it. We put 12,000 bath's worth of new Maxis tires on it as they were in a really poor state, too many plugs rather than low tread on the OEM Michelins.

Both the current and previous Ranger pickups OEM Bridgestone Duelers were just about done by 75,000 km with low tread as well as too many puncture plugs.

I had to replace my OEM Michellins in about 3.5 years due to dry rot. Great tread left and not many kms on it (only about 35K), as I don't drive it a lot being away on business trips much of the time. I am told that not driving exacerbates the dry rot, as does the climate here.

• Like 1

Given the conditions here, heat etc. then I personally would change out any tyres that are 5 years old from manufacture, regardless of their outward condition.

All tyres manufactured since 2000 should have a DOT code and the last 4 digits of this code gives the week number and year of manufacture, for example 1415 - 14th week of 2015. (if there is only 3 digits, then these were before 2000)

• Like 2

My Bridgestones just over 10 years/100 k km . Still look good , although some micro cracks when looking through a magnifyer glass. Was planning to change them 2 years ago , but I didn't . I don't drive much anymore.

From my experience michelins give the best life especially when properly maintained. In the US I will never use firestone tires. And now Bridgestone is owned by firestone. I have had good luck with Goodyear. 

But whatever tires you use, a person must take care of them. 

Must keep proper air pressure.  inflate tires when cold not after driving a few km. Air pressure increases when tires warm up. I spent ฿3500 for a small compressor. 

I find most people that complain of dry rot usually like to keep tires shiney with treatments. Skip a treatment and you can rest assured the sidewall will start to crack soon. 

When you drive a car with low air pressure for a while the sidewall will usually blow out especially at highway speeds. 

Plugs are intended as a temporary repair, as soon as possible I suggest having the plug removed and using a quality patch. Remember to have the tite/wheel re balanced when removing the tire

5 minutes ago, topt said:

Unless kept out of the sun/heat here would they even still be usable if more than 18 years old? :smile:

Most manufacturers recommend a max life of 10 years in perfect conditions.

It is personal choice, but considering that the tyres are the only thing between the vehicle and the road, then I take no unnecessary chances.

Most rubber and plastic things stored here degrade and have a shelf life that is a lot less than say the UK.

2 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

NCT 5's replace every 50,000 Bear in mind these are a softer compound tyre, and I drive pretty hard, but I prefer good wet weather grip over tyre life

how much do you pay for a full set?

and do they charge extra for rebalancing?

cheers!

Tires with the DOT stamp  (most reputable brands) expire 6 years after the date of manufacturing, regardless of the mileage.  I have found that I get an average of 3 years out of a new set of tires here because they start cracking and the rubber hardens losing grip.  I have never used more than 50% of the tread on tires here before they harden and crack.  Of course when I change to new tires, the sales are always happy to keep my old set  (more than likely to sell to someone looking for cheap tires).

• Like 1

michelin pilot sport 3 on my swift - close to 40K kms now, still plenty of tread but may replace at about 50K kms. These are the best performing tires I've owned - lots of dry and wet weather grip, but perhaps a little noisier than stock tires. Will replace with pilot sport 4 when they are done. 

• Like 1

Fortuner 2.7  2005 - Replaced the original fit Bridgestone Duellers at 167,000 kms when the first of the tyres showed down to the treadwear bar. I always check and adjust TPs to recommended 30 psi each week and get dealer to rotate tyres (not spare) every 20,000 kms. I avoid harsh acceleration and braking and kerb bashing and  get long life.

The calendar life is debatable and manufacturers recommend replacement after a certain number of years installed. I ignore that and examine my tyres weekly to assess condition. Always parked at home in the shade.

I don't rotate my spare and it is used only as a puncture replacement to get to the repair shop after which it is relegated again to spare. I have a selfmade opaque PVC tyre cover for it as under-car protection when in the stowage,

Car now 13 years old and on second set of Duellers. Toyota agent pointed out the tyre age (sidewall date) at last service and offered new tyres at a laughable rate. thanked them for pointing it out (first time ever) and told them I would assess the need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sstuff3 said:

Tires with the DOT stamp  (most reputable brands) expire 6 years after the date of manufacturing, regardless of the mileage.  I have found that I get an average of 3 years out of a new set of tires here because they start cracking and the rubber hardens losing grip.  I have never used more than 50% of the tread on tires here before they harden and crack.  Of course when I change to new tires, the sales are always happy to keep my old set  (more than likely to sell to someone looking for cheap tires).

That's my experience with OEM Michelins. They started to show cracking from dry rot at three years and six months later they are hardened and cracked enough to be dangerous. At least 50% tread left as well.

I need to replace them next week and I am seriously considering something other than Michelin.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DavisH said:

michelin pilot sport 3 on my swift - close to 40K kms now, still plenty of tread but may replace at about 50K kms. These are the best performing tires I've owned - lots of dry and wet weather grip, but perhaps a little noisier than stock tires. Will replace with pilot sport 4 when they are done. 

Had pilot sports on my old Maserati. Good tires, but needed about 500km break-in. I only put about 20K on them, but will replace them with Pirellis I prefer as the car comes out from shop sometime this year. Nothing wrong with the Michelins, just couldn't find right size Pirellis back then.

Fortuner 2.7  2005 - Replaced the original fit Bridgestone Duellers at 167,000 kms when the first of the tyres showed down to the treadwear bar. I always check and adjust TPs to recommended 30 psi each week and get dealer to rotate tyres (not spare) every 20,000 kms. I avoid harsh acceleration and braking and kerb bashing and  get long life.

The calendar life is debatable and manufacturers recommend replacement after a certain number of years installed. I ignore that and examine my tyres weekly to assess condition. Always parked at home in the shade.

I don't rotate my spare and it is used only as a puncture replacement to get to the repair shop after which it is relegated again to spare. I have a selfmade opaque PVC tyre cover for it as under-car protection when in the stowage,

Car now 13 years old and on second set of Duellers. Toyota agent pointed out the tyre age (sidewall date) at last service and offered new tyres at a laughable rate. thanked them for pointing it out (first time ever) and told them I would assess the need.

167k km is quite a lot. I'd probably recommend them to be changed somewhere between 100k and 120k km.

Just safer especially in rainy conditions but also otherwise, i.e. stopping distance must be lower with new tyres vs old ones...

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's my experience with OEM Michelins. They started to show cracking from dry rot at three years and six months later they are hardened and cracked enough to be dangerous. At least 50% tread left as well.

I need to replace them next week and I am seriously considering something other than Michelin.
I've had this experience with Bridgestone, Super Swamper, (imported from US), and Michelin. Now using Cooper tires (also imported from the US) for 2.5 years, still in good shape but I check them often.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

how much do you pay for a full set?

and do they charge extra for rebalancing?

cheers!

The large Goodyear place that has massive frontage on the Superhighway where the Maejo road intersects.

From memory the last set was about 2900 baht per tyre including balancing and front wheel alignment.

The speak English there and the service is excellent.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sstuff3 said:

I've had this experience with Bridgestone, Super Swamper, (imported from US), and Michelin. Now using Cooper tires (also imported from the US) for 2.5 years, still in good shape but I check them often.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just curious, since your experience with dry rot is the same as mine: does your car often sit around without driving it? I have heard that this can hasten dry rot.

• Like 1

Nissan March and changed at about 50,000 Km. Tyres were nearly 6 years old and were starting to crack. Replacement set (some cheapo tyre) under 7000 baht. As you can see, not a great mileage each year.

Michelin pilot sport 4 set got 2nd 'leakage' on the same 1 tyre now around 57k and warranty already expired at 50k/5years so they recommended replacing the full set as thread wear is also down to maybe last 25% or so with age only few years though. As tyres pretty much is the single most important item for safe driving and reliability/performance I don't mind paying when its time. However as they didn't have tyres available in stock I got the 'repair' for 250B & I only need to topup air every few days till I do replace with the same probably as they perform very well & I do test the limits! Roads here are horrible so only 2 'leaks' is pretty good I guess.