Place In Thailand Without Dogs?

1 hour ago, mjnaus said:

Muslim communities throughout the country

I was house sitting in a muslim community outside Krabi a few years ago and I learned about that. 

So now the question is, does anyone know of any muslim communities that aren't in the south (I guess I could go back there, but...)? 

Or, are there rooms to rent in these areas which are pleasant?

Probably not.

The better question is to ask:

Where to find a place with educated vaccinated dogs? And where to find those owners of the dog.

My experience is unfortunately that even Westerners are getting accustomed to Thai ways: never see a vet, no vaccination.

4 hours ago, peperobi said:

Koh Tan, a small island near Koh Samui!

Sure, but due to the legend I would be a bit skeptical, if not native Thai...:whistling:

Koh Tan is a quiet unspoilt Island with a quiet rocky coast which makes it a lovely paradise for snorkelling. You can see many corals and colourful fishes. If you are lucky, you can see some small Barracudas. There is a small village with around 30 inhabitants in this island. The nature is pretty untouched and you can see many animals in the jungle. Koh Tan has three mountains and the biggest one is more than 200 meter above sea-level. Koh Tan is known throughout the region as the island with no dogs. According to local legend, any dog that has been brought to live there, has quickly gone insane, but luckily the locals seem not to suffer the same fate.

Source: Koh Madsum & Koh Tan

35 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

Not to derail the thread but why no dogs in Muslim areas? 

Looks like some of them think it's not allowed by the koran, and some think dogs are 'unclean.' Looks like to the majority of Thai muslims it's become part of their culture. (?)
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=why+don't+muslims+keep+dogs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Looks like some of them think it's not allowed by the koran, and some think dogs are 'unclean.' Looks like to the majority of Thai muslims it's become part of their culture. (?)
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=why+don't+muslims+keep+dogs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Angels won't enter a house with a dog in it. Interesting. Thanks. 

13 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I was house sitting in a muslim community outside Krabi a few years ago and I learned about that. 

So now the question is, does anyone know of any muslim communities that aren't in the south (I guess I could go back there, but...)? 

Or, are there rooms to rent in these areas which are pleasant?

On the other hand, in Muslim communities there is the call to prayer, 5 times per day, the first of which is just before the sky begins to brighten in the early AM. 

Then there are certain days when prayers are read over the loudspeakers, and these can drone on for hours; these depend on the imam of the local mosque.

My experience with these things was mostly in Indonesia and Malaysia, where broadcasts tend to be quite loud and the call is a scratchy old record.  I have the impression things are a little more low-key in LOS, except maybe in the troubled area along the east coast south of Hat Yai, but never spent any time in that area myself, and is not recommended -- if you want to know why do a search of news from Narathiwat over the past 15+ years.

There are even Muslim neighborhoods in Bangkok (and I don't mean Suk Soi 3), but again, they keep it low-key.  I stumbled across one while looking for a short cut one day, people were amused to see a farang in their neighborhood and smiled at me, whereas in other neighborhoods the looks would mostly be quizzical, with a few unwelcoming glares.