Starbucks must put cancer warning on California coffee: judge

webfact

1 minute ago, HLover said:

Suppose getting the Hollywood influential movie makers to stop smoking in movies and the music industry to stop glamorizing marijuana would be too much to ask.

Funny how these sheeple really think the USDA and others 'care'.

Your right they don't. There lobbied and get funding from big business. As a consumer though, it's important to have al the information.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

For further information from the National Institue of Health re:  acrylamide

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet

Hope this does not violate Fair User Policy.

Information from .gov sites is almost always in the public domain and therefore "fair use" limitations don't apply.  Such material can be freely quoted as long as you provide a link back to the source.  It even says so right on the page:

5abdaf2720882_fairuse.PNG.90ff0517f121e029c1fc5395ac6d2cdd.PNG

Having said that, I still would not copy & paste an entire article on acrylamide because reading all that boring information will probably cause cancer.  Find the interesting bits and quote that, like this:

Acrylamide is also found in some foods. It can be produced when vegetables that contain the amino acid asparagine, such as potatoes, are heated to high temperatures in the presence of certain sugars. It is also a component of tobacco smoke.

Food and cigarette smoke are the major sources of acrylamide exposure for people in the general population.  The major food sources of acrylamide are French fries and potato chips; crackers, bread, and cookies; breakfast cereals; canned black olives; prune juice; and coffee.

Thus we have a situation where a chemical reaction that makes many prepared foods more delicious, the Maillard reaction, can also result in the production of small amounts of possible carcinogens.  I think I'll continue eating my bacon and creme brulee - in moderation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Funny - in California - you walk from your car park to the lift only to see a sign by the side of the lift that you are now subject to cancerous chemicals.

Never could figure out if it was the car fumes, the lift or a warning to stop me from licking the car park floor.

Even with the doubt, I'd stop licking the car park floor anyway, just to be sure.

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Information from .gov sites is almost always in the public domain and therefore "fair use" limitations don't apply.  Such material can be freely quoted as long as you provide a link back to the source.  It even says so right on the page:

5abdaf2720882_fairuse.PNG.90ff0517f121e029c1fc5395ac6d2cdd.PNG

Having said that, I still would not copy & paste an entire article on acrylamide because reading all that boring information will probably cause cancer.  Find the interesting bits and quote that, like this:

Thus we have a situation where a chemical reaction that makes many prepared foods more delicious, the Maillard reaction, can also result in the production of small amounts of possible carcinogens.  I think I'll continue eating my bacon and creme brulee - in moderation.

Seems an odd combo' bacon and creme brulee. ??

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do they make all cars for sale carry a warning sign that travelling in one may cause death or injury?

No.

Remember the US propensity towards litigation. It is why microwaves have instructions saying "do not dry your pets inside the microwave",  People will and have sued for anything. Smoking, drinking, (despite all the warnings) and a list much longer than your arm. Whilst the sign does not appear helpful in any marketing strategy it will stop a whacko from suing starbucks for getting cancer from coffee. I bet since this story broke somebody in the US has already lodged a law suit against someone for cancer in coffee.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps they should have a sign in maternity wards that being born is to expose oneself to death.

Life is a terminal disease.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

For further information from the National Institue of Health re:  acrylamide

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet

Hope this does not violate Fair User Policy.

What would seem to me to be the key part of the link you posted:

Studies in rodent models have found that acrylamide exposure increases the risk for several types of cancer (1013). In the body, acrylamide is converted to a compound called glycidamide , which causes mutations in and damage to DNA.

However, a large number of epidemiologic studies (both case-control and cohort studies) in humans have found no consistent evidence that dietary acrylamide exposure is associated with the risk of any type of cancer (9, 14). One reason for the inconsistent findings from human studies may be the difficulty in determining a person’s acrylamide intake based on their reported diet.

And yet, California appears to have put the chemical on its cancer causing list based on older federal research that found it caused reproductive cancerns in mice and rats.

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/crnr/notice-intent-list-acrylamide-reproductive-toxicity

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Some 30+ years ago, California tried to do a good thing, and unfortunately, ended up doing a bad thing instead.

The state passed, by public initiative vote, a very strict law requiring disclosure when potential cancer causing substances can be present, hence the lawsuit in this case. In general, disclosure is a good thing, of course.

But the bad result was, either because of the way the law was written or how it's been interpreted, it's ended up meaning that virtually everything and everywhere in CA (exaggerating a bit) now carries cancer warnings.

The cancer warning advisories have become so ubiquitous in California that pretty much no one pays any attention to them anymore. And if you were going into some place or dealing with something where there was a real cancer risk, you'd never know it, because you'd ignore it like all the hundreds of other similar advisories you see all the time, everywhere.

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Seems the world really is going crackers. Next they will ban barbies in case you give your neighbours cancer, or farting in public cos of the methane fire risk...bored.gif.dc52133588e47309b2013001e63c6518.gif

Signs on beaches saying

Staying underwater for 10 minutes without any equipment may cause drowning.

5 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Funny - in California - you walk from your car park to the lift only to see a sign by the side of the lift that you are now subject to cancerous chemicals.

Never could figure out if it was the car fumes, the lift or a warning to stop me from licking the car park floor.

It's the paint on the warning sign.

2 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

I view the world's coffee-addiction with bemusement. All coffee tastes bitter to me (I have the bitter taste gene) and I rarely touch the stuff.

Carry on.

Understandable.

For me, I'm the opposite.

I LOVE bitter flavors such as bitter melon.

An old Russian genius friend I knew in the past wouldn't touch coffee and thought liking it was crazy. His comment -- they BURN the beans! Why would you eat BURNT food? 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

cancer warning label on coffee products

So before you're handed a cup of coffee the employee puts a sticky label with cancer warning on the cup? And will the bags of coffee beans used in the store and sold in the store also have the warning? And will any coffee ads also have warning labels like cigarettes?

Will all coffee products sold in markets, restaurants, drive up coffee stands, donut houses , etc. also require labeling?

The judgement seems overly burdensome and an appeal is likely to be made.

2 hours ago, i claudius said:

Yes but that can mess up your kidneys

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Read the side effects before commenting.

Allopurinol does not increase chronic kidney disease risk in gout patients. ... Gout, a condition marked by high levels of uric acid that can crystallize and settle in joints, can contribute to CKD in some patients

8 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Perhaps all food and drink should be labelled? Just in case. :violin:

Old fella once told me, "We basically eat and drink ourselves to death".   This after he'd had a heart attack and bypass surgery and began minding his diet.