Study reveals shocking extent of dangerous driving in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

You beat me bluesofa

This goes to show that they must consider the roads we drive on are quite normal & that they needed a study due to a spate of accidents

They could of saved a lot of time by just watching the news

They are normal, for Thailand; that's the problem!  They do watch the news, but they see nothing wrong; that's another problem!

The only way you will see an improvement in Thais' driving habits is if the government awarded an annual money prize to each driver with an accident free year, although I imagine there would be quite a few pissed-off Thais who will never meet that criteria.

Songkran next week!  No doubt the daily news will be the same as last year, the year before, the year before that..............

You know ... this is such an important issue to some International Mining Companies (for example), that they have GPS units coupled to speed and stop indicators on 'all' their vehicles no matter where they are in the world, they monitor the speed of the driver, from A to B, his average speed, even the speed around various dangerous corners, including how many times they stop (The must stop every so often at allocated places for a 10 minute break), average economy etc. etc. ... all in the line of safety, and if a driver doesn't scratch up to their standards, their out .... so why not the same with Buses and trucks in Thailand ? I also remember when Singapore coupled flashing lights to trucks and alike that flashed or signaled when the driver was going over the speed limit ... these flashing lights where placed on the roofs of the trucks .... ????

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Just a thought, but if drivers can't drive within the speed limits, couldn't manufacturers limit the speed of vehicles. I am sure we have the technology to do it. Say you enter a 40km speed limit area, your vehicle is automatically restricted to no higher than that speed as it passes a post indicating the speed (a signal is sent to your vehicle as you pass).  The only vehicles with speed control bypasses would be emergency vehicles. 

here is an English translation of a question of the Thai highway code. the question is asking what the sign means,   the answer is high lighted. go figure.

Screenshot (45).png

these idiots will never learn, the drivers dont have the mental capacity to be able to rationalize anything that may cause an accident, all they know is getting wherever they are going as fast as possible and slowing down for no one. On the weekend we had rain here and while driving home on a 60 k speed limit road a truck came around a slight bend going flat stick and drifted onto our side of the road as it was slippery, if we had been traveling just a bit faster he would have wiped us out. He didnt even slow down  or control the truck driving on our side for some distance, we had to take evasive action to avoid him hitting us head on and this is how all the truck/bus drivers drive here, they simply dont give a sh*t about other road users or safety.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akampa said:

that's is odd if you go over 30 you will get a fine ,so if you go under 30 you will be fined ? 

You will be in the UK (fine or points on licence).

IIRC in the UK it's used in long tunnels, to ensure the traffic keeps moving (Dartford tunnel?).

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Just a thought, but if drivers can't drive within the speed limits, couldn't manufacturers limit the speed of vehicles. I am sure we have the technology to do it. Say you enter a 40km speed limit area, your vehicle is automatically restricted to no higher than that speed as it passes a post indicating the speed (a signal is sent to your vehicle as you pass).  The only vehicles with speed control bypasses would be emergency vehicles. 

The technology is there, for years.

Needless to say they’re all reckless drivers whether driving a bus, car or a motorcycle for that matter. 

I see big old polluting buses changing and swapping lanes from left to right all the time on the roads and even competing against each other before my eyes whilst driving my scooter, as a born biker I’ve never been so scared to ride  ??‍♂️

There’s absolutely no respect towards anyone not that they’d even think to keep at a safe distance  from the other motorists, it’s a war out there in the wilderness and that’s exactly what it is!

Oh let’s not mention the new drivers with the red number plates, they’re just another accident waiting to happen, it’s a mine field out there literally, does anyone care?!

Have a safe day.

42 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

They are normal, for Thailand; that's the problem!  They do watch the news, but they see nothing wrong; that's another problem!

The only way you will see an improvement in Thais' driving habits is if the government awarded an annual money prize to each driver with an accident free year, although I imagine there would be quite a few pissed-off Thais who will never meet that criteria.

Songkran next week!  No doubt the daily news will be the same as last year, the year before, the year before that..............

How much would you have to pay to stand a chance of winning the money?

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

and my car

Edited by soalbundy

28 minutes ago, akampa said:

that's is odd if you go over 30 you will get a fine ,so if you go under 30 you will be fined ? 

It's only a minimum speed,  obviously the maximum speed is higher and shown on a different style sign. There are not many used as I can not remember when I last saw one.

21 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

let’s not mention the new drivers with the red number plates, they’re just another accident waiting to happen, it’s a mine field out there literally, does anyone care?!

Have a safe day.

Better if you had not as red number plates are on new vehicles waiting for the normal registration plates to be fitted. Nothing to do with the driver. An odd law prevents these cars from being used at night,  I would have thought they would be safer as they are new.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai are not going to change their driving habits on their own, so the only solution is to install tamper proof speed limiters on all forms of public transportation, i.e. trucks & busses.  Inhibitors that will totally disable the vehicle's engine if anyone tries to disable it, along with a 50,000 baht fine and at least one year in jail for anyone attempting to disable one.  Plus, anyone caught using drugs while operating these vehicles face a mandatory 5 years in prison and 50,000 baht fine.  If the children won't behave on their own, then they have to be forced to.

If only. Nothing else will work. It will never happen unless the General PMs family are involved in an accident.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai are not going to change their driving habits on their own, so the only solution is to install tamper proof speed limiters on all forms of public transportation, i.e. trucks & busses.  Inhibitors that will totally disable the vehicle's engine if anyone tries to disable it, along with a 50,000 baht fine and at least one year in jail for anyone attempting to disable one.  Plus, anyone caught using drugs while operating these vehicles face a mandatory 5 years in prison and 50,000 baht fine.  If the children won't behave on their own, then they have to be forced to.

One problem with this very sensible idea,where is the money in this?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Though I'm afraid you're correct that the process is a long one, it's even longer if they never start. 

And the main challenge that dragged out the process back home was developing the tech and experimenting with the policies (and unintended consequences).  The tech is now available.  The unintended consequences have, for the most part, been identified and addressed.  It should be much faster for Thailand to take a path that's already been cleared by others.  But I'm not holding my breath.

"And the main challenge that dragged out the process back home was developing the tech and experimenting with the policies (and unintended consequences)." - If by "experimenting" you mean trial and error, no there was very little - it was a steady ongoing process of scientific procedures. contrary to popular belief science doesn't advance by a series of "eureka" moments, it works on methodical logic - and skeptical questioning.

The policies back home were developed from extensive research and statistical analysis. This took time and is still an on-going process - it involved the setting up of organisations to carry out these tasks.....Thailand apart from a couple of private orgs and a quango here and there has very little.

But you correctly say that a lot of the ground work has already been done, is promoted by Thailand organisations and then ignored by successive governments who seem intellectually too limited to grasp the approaches put forward.

Like many on TV they seem to think the situation is solvable at the stroke of a pen, an overnight awakening......but given that it involves things like constitutional reform the reconstruction of new roads and the reform of the police force, it seems unlikley that any great change is on the way.

Every time there is a serious crash and everyone blames the driver, they seem to have no idea that they are wasting their time. 

It is th government's fault that this sort of thing continues to happen. Every country has idiots behind the wheel, they never go away, what is needed is an infrastructure and road safety environment that prevents syupid form doing as stupid is...... shouting at them after is shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, midas said:

The only way I could see it happening is to sensationalise it and have it beamed around the world on international television to absolutely shame these people. If Al Jazeera or BBC (or even ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation) did a documentary like a Four Corners based on the revelations in this study and then demanded an interview with the Minister of Transport to confront him head on asking him what is he doing about it they wouldn't be able to hide behind the scene as they do so often.

Logically this could be step one, but most likely there will be sidestepping, deflecting and lying while not taking responsibility... it would most certainly be fun to watch the dance.
There's very few trained personnel to investigate accidents involving fatalities... and there is little chance of any consequences being handed down that will create any deterrent.

The mentality (this encompasses a lot) of some drivers is not enough to grasp the repercussions of certain actions (this list is endless).

Change seems far away and a lot of lives are yet to be lost before it makes headline news.
Help needs to come from a nation that has top notch enforcement and investigation... if this country would open their thinking.
There needs to be awareness, knowledge and courtesy.

3 minutes ago, Chilon said:

Conclusion may be correct but 'cargo trucks travelled at an average of 101 kmph'?  No they don't.  The average would not be over 80 kmph.

Is still quite high, do you try to get an average of 80 km/h? You must drive sometimes faster than 100 km/h!

No 7 highway 304 at the markers will be cleared from the list soon when new works on  the highway are finished. And the old lane system on the markers does becomes separated lanes.

And the point of attention will move to the other bottlenecks that now are lower ranking on that highway.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

2. Highway No. 2 between the 20th-36th kilometre markers;

7. Highway No. 304 between the 165th-176th kilometre markers and between the 190th-250th markers (cutting through the national forest).

I know those two very well.

Confront the average Thai driver with a moderate slope, be it uphill or downhill and the massacre can start.

It's so laughable when you see them fighting with the soft slopes on highway 2.

304 is a slaughterhouse.

And compared to highway 2 it is indeed somewhat steep.

I once came back from the south (uphill) and traffic was stopped.

It was for the clearing/towing of a bus wreck where 14 school children and some teachers lost their lives a few days before.

On the shoulder there still were some belongings of the children scattered.

Sandals, rucksacks etc.

So sad.

Just recently another 18 people killed on 304 downhill.

Edited by KhunBENQ

At least 80% of the deaths here involve motorbikes. Of the remaining 20% at least half would be pickup trucks. So, while limiting the speed of trucks and buses would be a big help, it would actually have very little impact on total deaths.

(Let's not forget that all truck and bus crashes in Thailand are caused by 'brake failure').

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Not sure which is more shocking here: the results of the study, or the fact they needed one at all to discover what epxats here have known for years?

Thank you bluesofa , just what I was going to say.  New topic please .

1 hour ago, allyoops said:

The only surprising thing about statistics on the subject is why there isn't even more people killed and injured .Every time you get on a bus ,a mini bus or a taxi you are taking one hell of a risk .To me the big buses are the safest ,because they are big .Recent journeys in a mini bus and a taxi were mind blowingly scary .In fact I have decided never to use a mini bus again .There would have to be a major offensive ,backed by very hefty fines to start changing the mindset in Thailand .

I have started to use mini busses again,they have slowed down a lot,

they do not go over 90kph anymore.Feel a lot safer compared to two years ago.

Everyone already knows that there is a problem with Thai driving habits. The ONLY  remedy is a police force willing to chase them down, give them financially painful fines or suspend their licenses. Of course that won't be much of a deterrent in and of itself because they will drive without a license so for those the fine will have to be vehicle confiscation. Then and only then will the death toll come down.

• Thanks 1