Suvarnabhumi Airport security officer arrested for stealing Bt6,000 from American tourist

webfact

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Months back I read a posting on a community webboard about this (not TV).

Now well out of sight, before approaching the x ray machines, I take all the cash out of my wallet and push it down deep inside one of my pants pockets. 

Go through the X ray machine and move away a bit, find somewhere a bit secluded, check nobody is looking and return the cash to my wallet.  If needed go into a toilet cubicle and return the cash to the wallet.

I am sorry I do not get the point of your post. Why do you go to the trouble of hiding your own money. I can see the point maybe befoe security, but after? Why are you sneaking somewhere secluded to return your own money to your own wallet?  Baffles me?

Edited by jimn

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Now well out of sight, before approaching the x ray machines, I take all the cash out of my wallet and push it down deep inside one of my pants pockets. 

Go through the X ray machine and move away a bit, find somewhere a bit secluded, check nobody is looking and return the cash to my wallet.  If needed go into a toilet cubicle and return the cash to the wallet.

LOL. waste of time. 

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So if it was because of the actions of an 'individual' thieving employee, why did he bother to bother the "executive of the private security firm" with a summons?

I wonder who awarded the contract to the "private security firm"?

Even if it is a private security firm the airport should do their own security checks before people are cleared to work there.

5 hours ago, lanista said:

Why didnt they just give the yank back his 6000 b ? 

They're going to wire it to him ???

He wont get back 6K  unless the greenback dosedives ( which is possible)

I guess he was on his way to board his flight.  The perp denied it until they went through CCTV footage.  I'm sure the victim was more interested in catching his flight.

It would be interesting to find out if the cash ever got wired but we'll never know.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimn said:

I am sorry I do not get the point of your post. Why do you go to the trouble of hiding your own money. I can see the point maybe befoe security, but after? Why are you sneaking somewhere secluded to return your own money to your own wallet?  Baffles me?

Baffles me why you don't understand.

And note; I didn't say I go to a toilet cubicle to return the money to my wallet every time, in fact I've never done that. It's a possible option if folks feel that insecure about revealing a wad of cash in public. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

please explain because  I don't understand what you are saying

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

All in all, with like 40 million plus tourists coming and going to Thailand

if one person has been caught stealing every now and then, it's not

too bad...

Not everybody complains, and sees right away items have been stolen !!!

My wife and I flew back to Europe on Monday The 1 of April just the day prior to this incident. when we arrived home after a more than 30 hour journey, when opening the luggage we saw some items were missing...!?!?

My wife phoned the complains department from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport and got no reply...I tried to send a complain to Quatar airways (the airline we used) and was always redirected to something ells. Could not send a complain !!!

Edited by off road pat

6 hours ago, lanista said:

He is never going to see that stolen money again, evidence in court or some other excuse BIB can make up.

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

My thoughts too

How stupid are they

"Left before matter was resolved" , So what part of the camera footage & the 6000 bht found on him they couldn't understand

Just give the money back & sack him

Theft in Thailand is a criminal offense. Arrest, trial, jail. The company can sack him before or after. Up to them.

Quote Thai PBS:

"Thanat was charged for theft and was detained at Suvarnabhumi police station.

The theft was the second incident in two month at the carry-on baggage scanning checkpoint. The first case was on March 13 when a baggage scanning employee was caught stealing a Chinese tourist of 4,000 yuan in cash."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drgoon said:

please explain because  I don't understand what you are saying

I understand, but also think it would be easier to stand there, watch the basket go into the x-ray machine, walk through the scanner and watch your stuff come out the other side .....does n't everybody do that ? The staff cannot touch your stuff while it is inside the scanner so as long as you see it going in and coming out, no problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lanista said:

Did you read the full piece ? 

7 hours ago, BEVUP said:

That about sums up half of them

Might not be the best paying but I'm sure it beats the labouring job back home in the sun

Couldn't even last a month

8 hours ago, lanista said:

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

why hide? certainly why go to a toilet cubicle?

i keep my wallet in my pocket most times if they make a big deal i put it in a seperate basket and wait for it to come out the other side.