Thailand and Hoteliers want the Chinese over Western Tourist

webfact

7 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

The (some...) hotels might want the Chinese - but the bars and restaurants, where the real bucks are spent don't.

True. And the gogo bars, prostitutes and ladyboys also dont like them, as a vast majority of Chinese travel with families and they dont patronize them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

When you have 1.5 billion people, the top 5% is still a larger group than the entire population of Thailand.

Well, 5% of the Thai population would be about 3 million people.

Yet, I doubt that there are 3 million Thais able to travel abroad and fill up their suitcases with luxury goods.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

True. And the gogo bars, prostitutes and ladyboys also dont like them, as a vast majority of Chinese travel with families and they dont patronize them. 

A few weeks back, a convoy of smart, double-decker coaches were at a large resting hole in Nong Bua Lampur. Inquizative as ever, I asked the wife to find out where they were heading. She said they were Chinese on their way to Kham Chanot. Virtually all the 100 plus were middle aged/older ladies. They all piled into 7-11.

Edited by owl sees all

@JSixpack Not relevant to the typical experience our members will have but just used for bashing purposes. Who would choose to attend a buffet mobbed by tourists disgorged from a tour bus--of any nationality.

Destiny :Yeah personally am fine with the chinese visitors also best is to forget about that shrimp buffet incident.

Hope there will still be hotels left who will allow farangs to stay?. 

•  
Edited by Destiny1990

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A few weeks back, a convoy of smart, double-decker coaches were at a large resting hole in Nong Bua Lampur. Inquizative as ever, I asked the wife to find out where they were heading. She said they were Chinese on their way to Kham Chanot. Virtually all the 100 plus were middle aged/older ladies. They all piled into 7-11.

I think Nong Bua Lampur is some city is Isaan,  what is Kham Chanot, some dusty border town? Then the 100 plus ladies going into 7-11 might be understandable. They cant be expected to pile into the local brothel?

17 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Well, 5% of the Thai population would be about 3 million people.

Yet, I doubt that there are 3 million Thais able to travel abroad and fill up their suitcases with luxury goods.

Look at it another way...   Thailand gets 10 million Chinese tourists, which represents 0.67% of the Chinese population.  I guaranty you the top 1% of the Thai population can fill up on luxury goods without a problem.

I never said the Hilton was owned by Chinese I just commented on there eating habits in a high end hotel ( Locus munching and elbowing and filling there plates to the brim and leaving hardly anything for other customers. I wont be renewing my Hilton card that I have had for the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

I think Nong Bua Lampur is some city is Isaan,  what is Kham Chanot, some dusty border town? Then the 100 plus ladies going into 7-11 might be understandable. They cant be expected to pile into the local brothel?

Nong Bua Lampur is a 'town' in Isaan (not sure if is classed a city).

Kham Chanot is the famous, sacred site where a group Lao people were massacred a few years back. Thousands of visitors every day. Check out the film!!

As for 'cant be expected to pile into the local brothel', well there isn't one; just a few retail outlets and some stalls.

Edited by owl sees all

6 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I never said the Hilton was owned by Chinese I just commented on there eating habits in a high end hotel ( Locus munching and elbowing and filling there plates to the brim and leaving hardly anything for other customers. I wont be renewing my Hilton card that I have had for the last 5 years.

7 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I think the word is LOCUSTS

To be honest they can have it, I have reduced my usually frequent trips to Thailand to only 1 a year because I don't like all the Russians, Chinese and Indians and will be searching for holiday destinations less frequented by these 3 nations. I am also seeking somewhere else to retire to as I have struck Thailand off my list. Good luck to them all :-)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Possibly Hilton owners are not going to lose their sleep over your not renewing, as you will be replaced by a 100 locus munching ( whatever that means?) Chinese!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

And, get this, currently only 5% of Chinese have passports...

...Thailand is ready to turn its back on Westerners and get behind China first and Indians second. Hoteliers would rather have Chinese in their hotels than Westerners too.

Well, that can easily be solved. If the Thais love the Chinese that much, why not offer the PRC to become part of it? The passport 'problem' would be solved immediately, and, instantaneously, all 1.4 billion Chinese could come to Thailand. Hotel rates, apartment rents, and pretty much anything else would quickly rise three- and fourfold, except, of course, salaries. Everyone would be happy! :partytime2:

23 minutes ago, champers said:

Dan says that most Chinese tourists visit as part of a group, but last week the Ministry of Tourism and Sport published figures stating that only 39% visit in a group, 61% come independantly.

According to BUSINESS INSIDER: 

The headlines in the media are filled with that latest stats. Stats sell. The stats are often quoted from the latest reports. People then parrot them around like they're fact when most of them are complete bullsh*t. People throw them around at cocktail parties. Often when they do I throw out my favorite statistic: 73.6% of all statistics are made up. I say it deadpanned. Often I'll get some people look at me like, "really?" "It's true. Nielsen just released the number last month."

No. It's irony.

Or as Mark Twain popularized the quote most attributed to the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli, "there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics." The quote is meant to highlight the deceiving but persuasive power of numbers.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

To be honest they can have it, I have reduced my usually frequent trips to Thailand to only 1 a year because I don't like all the Russians, Chinese and Indians and will be searching for holiday destinations less frequented by these 3 nations. I am also seeking somewhere else to retire to as I have struck Thailand off my list. Good luck to them all :-)

Outer Hebrides

Best beaches in the world.

Charming people, and more hours of sunshine per day (in the summer) than Thailand or any of these other sweaty tropical districts.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Probably better to have an increase in Chinese than an increase in sex tourists.  The Chinese just wander around taking photos

I saw a group of them head into a Walking St GoGo bar the other night,

The nightlife certainly attracts them there.

I met a few Chinese woman, when I toured that country several years ago, who tried to steal my money.

In Thailand I have met a lot of Chinese who were a lot like me, they left the Winter of

Northern China or Mongolia and were enjoying the hotter weather, as well as a tour, and

stayed in a nicer hotel than where I was staying in Jomtien beach. A young man from Mongolia

was happy to be in Thailand but was not impressed with garbage on Chinese New Years day.

( Picture included). They may not spend much money on booze and women,  but they do shop

and get lots of stuff to take back to relatives In China. I was informed by my Chinese guide in

China, that I could get Chinese made stuff in Thailand, cheaper than she could in China, as there

is higher prices with sort of an internal tarrif   in China.  I seen many examples in the malls in

China that she wrote down the Yuan price, and I checked the same article in Thailand and it was

sometimes up to 20 percent cheaper. 

Geezer

20180214_081145.jpg

DSCN9570.JPG

DSCN9598.JPG

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

Having stayed in many mid-range (3-4*) hotels in China and India it's evident that the expectations of tourists from those locations are going to be rather lower than that of a similar demographic from a western country.

Therefore, of course the hotels are happy (at least for now) they can get away with providing less service for the same or (apparently) more money.

As others have noted this will only be temporary state, as the Chinese toursim industry grows and more and more experience western hotels Thailand will have to raise its game.

Indians complain more than westerners. They fill up the lobby areas and eating areas blocking access to others then stand at front desk hassling the staff.

8 hours ago, champers said:

Dan says that most Chinese tourists visit as part of a group, but last week the Ministry of Tourism and Sport published figures stating that only 39% visit in a group, 61% come independantly.

I rarely see independents. 

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

From what I read it sounds like taxi drivers get little benefit from Chinese tourists. That's a lot of jobs.

Also the chinese dont shag or marry the bar boys/girls/ladyboys etc and build mansions in  isaan villages. They also dont buy chang & leo by the dozens from local shops. That is more jobs lost.

10 hours ago, champers said:

last week the Ministry of Tourism and Sport published figures stating that only 39% visit in a group, 61% come independantly.

I suggest that the Ministry revisit their numbers.  I would be very surprised if more than 5% of Chinese tourists come independently!  To date, after watching 4 years of Chinese tourism in Pattaya,  I have 2 observations.  

1. I have never seen a Chinese alone!

2.  I have never seen a Chinese with a shopping bag other than the goodie bags arranged by their tours.

Furthermore, since they stay to themselves, the only personal impact they have had on me is the constant traffic jams from the tour busses.  From a distance they appear to be mostly quiet and respectful.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Look at it another way...   Thailand gets 10 million Chinese tourists, which represents 0.67% of the Chinese population.  I guaranty you the top 1% of the Thai population can fill up on luxury goods without a problem.

Except that it is not the 1% of China who are visiting Thailand by bus, following the guide with the little flag and pissing all over the toilets!

The 1% is in Vancouver, buying luxury homes and sending its children to university.

The vast majority of the Chinese visiting Thailand are average citizens, which is also true for Westerners by the way.

11 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Outer Hebrides

Charming people, and more hours of sunshine per day (in the summer) than Thailand or any of these other sweaty tropical districts.  

A bit remote and now right in the way of typhoons following each other on their way to Australia.

Tropical islands better be avoided for a long term stay, considering the ever worsening climate...

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Brunolem said:
11 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Outer Hebrides

That's way too much sun and just inviting skin cancer.  Much prefer the warm less sunny tropics with the occasional tropical downpour.

Edited by torrzent

6 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

A bit remote and now right in the way of typhoons following each other on their way to Australia.

Tropical islands better be avoided for a long term stay, considering the ever worsening climate...

It's cyclical weather and rain.