‘Stupid’ memo highlights plight of rural Isaan

webfact

And nothing is changing any time soon....

Two days ago there was a meeting with 'the new blood' in Thai politics at The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand...

This was the thoughts of the future of the Democrats...Warawut Silpa-archa about his fellow countrymen in the NE:

>>Though he declared for electoral politics, he did betray a strain of elitism toward voters by assigning blame for the “low quality” of Thailand’s politicians on an electorate that is “90 percent farmers” who are “uneducated.”<<

Lord have mercy......But the dinosaurs will be clapping their small hands in approval...

Sadly nothing will change here, until the underprivileged realize that enough is enough and take to the streets...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kannot said:

FEAR, It runs on fear I can tell you now when you enter some Northern villages a  sign as you enter  will say "This is a RED  village" can u imagine the peer pressure to vote "Red" and what people would say/do if you openly  opposed this. Seen it in LOEI province. Its not just voting it extends to, it goes deep DEEP into the Thai society, but...............that cant be mentioned !

What else should they vote for if not red??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

Those who are in a position to make a difference simply do not care. They regard people from Issan  (and to a lesser extent from the North) as little more than serfs to be exploited.

Whatever the statistics say, these serfs are not stupid and they realise it. That is why they vote as they do. They do so in the knowledge and expectation that their vote will inevitably be overturned. Sooner or later they will have enough and, as someone has just said, "Sadly nothing will change here, until the underprivileged realize that enough is enough and take to the streets."

The real stupidity is on the part of the "entitled ones", who belief that their wealth, status and comic opera generals will be enough to sustain their hegemony.

It is mirrored by those commentators here who also think that is the case.

I find the statistic quite bad.. i mean IQ under 90 for both urban as rural.

You say they are not stupid and IQ does not mean the same thing as smart but a higher IQ does help a lot. 

You are saying the hegemony won't last forever.. not of the current ones.. they will just be replaced by others or by the new entitled ones. The whole society is based on status . Do you remember YL in her blueberry boots walking above the farmers in the flooded area's ? clear sign of status and higher level too. I don't think that there are parties that will bring equality (i hope I am wrong) I just think new parties will bring new people of status into power. In almost every country I know there is a an upper and lower class. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm not buying some simplistic, it's all in the diet thing, Isaan diet is pretty similar to most of Thailand with the addition of some really disgusting stuff.

It's all down to education, or the lack of it.

My wife got lucky and went to the US courtesy of her uncle who had moved there. She was 12, so went through HS and college in Chicago. She openly admits how hard it was to catch up, after suffering her early education in Isaan, but she was lucky that she was still young enough to make up the gap.

My step son who started in a Govt school, which I quickly realized was a huge mistake, transferred to a private school in Khon Kaen.
Even there, there is no way to compare a Thai school to anything in the West.

When he started college in Chicago, his freshman year was a nightmare, took him basically all the first year to catch up. Had he stayed in the Govt schools in Isaan, that catch up would have been all but impossible.

The BKK urban elite like to tell themselves that Pheu Thai is the result of 'stupid' people. Maybe they should reflect on what makes people 'stupid' and uneducated!

Perhaps invest in rural education and thing may change. Plenty of asian examples...South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, all pulled their rural population out of poverty by aggressively pursuing education within a generation.

Sadly it's not going to happen, there aren't any Thai politicians or leaders with that kind of vision

A lot of the IQ is hereditary, still there is a part you can still improve. 

Many studies rely on a measure of intelligence called the intelligence quotient (IQ). Researchers have conducted many studies to look for genes that influence intelligence. ... These studies suggest that genetic factors underlie about 50 percent of the difference in intelligence among individuals.

Referring to Isan people as  Isan-Lao  always gets a smug  response from Bangkok Thai's including  wealthy educated farming families in the fertile plain west of the city.  Dark skinned people have always borne the brunt of silly tv commercial parodies.

But Isan is moving ahead albeit slowly due to its lousy climate. Billions of bahts pour into Isan every year due to marriages mostly with old  European men. There are millions of Isan people benefiting directly from all this cash. Alot of the  farm work is now done by Burmese and Cambodians. Thai men work in the  soi factories or not at all if they're lucky enough to have a generous farang on the family tree.

Isan people are not stupid. They pick up English, Dutch &German  languages very quickly and many become rich living in Europe or Isan with their sponsor husbands. Their Isan men win as well.

How many 'smart ' farangs have made money out of Thais???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Genuine question: is there a separate IQ scale for Thailand? 89.1 and 82.5 for urban and rural schoolchildren respectively are astonishing. Where I come from I think 110 is about average now.

Either there is a separate scale or the problems across the country, not only in Isaan, are massive.

Last time I read about this, an IQ of 80 was the typical score for someone with Down’s Syndrome.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Which begs the question; why do people still question the choice of the people of the NE to vote for 'their' parties (currently the PTP) and not for Bangkok-based parties or entities like the military?

How do you vote for the military?

2 hours ago, todlad said:

Genuine question: is there a separate IQ scale for Thailand? 89.1 and 82.5 for urban and rural schoolchildren respectively are astonishing. Where I come from I think 110 is about average now.

Either there is a separate scale or the problems across the country, not only in Isaan, are massive.

Last time I read about this, an IQ of 80 was the typical score for someone with Down’s Syndrome.

Yes, I thought it was alarming too. Perhaps it was a Thai-devised test conducted by Thai teachers?

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Good article.

In these days of the Internet and the ability of anyone to compare a local situation to other localities in a country, it beggars belief that people in the NE are not aware of the disparities.

Which begs the question; why do people still question the choice of the people of the NE to vote for 'their' parties (currently the PTP) and not for Bangkok-based parties or entities like the military?

I am constantly amazed by this unfathomable lack of understanding...

So what have their parties done for them over the years? Where are all the good schools / education programs?  

2 hours ago, todlad said:

110 average .. what country is that ? 

36 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, I thought it was alarming too. Perhaps it was a Thai-devised test conducted by Thai teachers?

I wonder if that research is in English and available to the rest of us.

If they devised it themselves, I would expect them to have set the average nearer to 150!!

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

110 average .. what country is that ? 

Before I replied to this I went and checked since I was relying on my memory of that statistic. I have found a range of answers including the IQ of the UK averaging 100 at the moment. Unless, we have slipped backwards or they have recalibrated the tests, I don't believe that. On the other hand, the very first site I landed on shows Thailand with an average IQ of slightly more than 116 and the UK at slightly less than 105. Many countries in their list have averages exceeding 110.

• Haha 1