Ratchathewi Apartment owner told to demolish two illegally-built floors

webfact

Ratchathewi Apartment owner told to demolish two illegally-built floors

By Thai PBS

fire1.jpg

The City Hall has ordered the owner of Ratchathewi Apartment building to demolish the 13th and 14th floors of the building after they were found to be illegally built.

The apartment was evacuated an declared off-limits as the electricity system was totally damaged following a fire on Tuesday (April 3) which killed three tenants and injured several other people.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said he ordered the demolition of the two illegally-built floors after inspectors found out that the two floors were illegally added on the 12-floor apartment building.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ratchathewi-apartment-owner-told-demolish-two-illegally-built-floors/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-06
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Seeing is believing. 

Well I can only count 12 balconies so surely that means 12 floors and all legal.If there is somehow 14 floors then who was on the council signing off this building as a 12 story, and what sort of house does he live in, and what car does he drive------- just curious????

4 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Well I can only count 12 balconies so surely that means 12 floors and all legal.If there is somehow 14 floors then who was on the council signing off this building as a 12 story, and what sort of house does he live in, and what car does he drive------- just curious????

What i mean is that I don't think it will be demolished. I also think that someone got a nice bribe just like you. Maybe an other bribe so they dont have to demolish or its on hold ect.

3 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

Well there is obviously one floor that has to be just out of shot, so not unlikely that there is another, ever heard of perspective or do you think that the official in the photo really is as tall the second (third?) floor of the building?

BMA signed off on 12 floors and, as happens frequently, the extra two could have been constructed later without BMA's knowledge.

As I recall in the original fire article the building was built a couple years before the stricter codes were written. Does that grandfather in modern code violations? 

I wonder if residents will be allowed to retrieve their belongings???