Prawit to meet Mattis at Pentagon during 5-day visit to the US

webfact

Prawit to meet Mattis at Pentagon during 5-day visit to the US

By Thai PBS

prawit1.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister and also Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan will pay a five-day visit to the United States as guest of the US Department of Defence during April 21-26.

Defence Ministry’s spokesman Lt Gen Kongcheep Tantravanich said Gen Prawit will be the guest of the US Defence Secretary James Mattis.

The Pentagon has sent an invitation for an April 21-26 visit which will include trips to US army camps for the defence minister and his delegation.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prawit-meet-mattis-pentagon-5-day-visit-us/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-09

2 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Why are the US validating these people with official visits?

They don't want to be completely friendless. Mind you, things could yet change if tarriffs are imposed on Thai imports.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Now tell me I'm wrong.

Your not wrong! but you miss out one fact. We did create the modern USA & i believe we still hold a lot more power over them than people think?

But the only reason we handed over power is we could no longer afford to keep it! Just not enough uncomplaining taxpayers to fund the wars necessary to keep the 'corporations" in power!

If we had the money! we would now be as hated! :shock1:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not often, but sometimes I have sympathy for thoughts that history repeats itself. What happened when a former Thai PM left for a trip to New York?

Maybe Mattis finally just wants to figure out who might be behind the alias 'general failure'.

Edited by Lupatria

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

SE Asia is becoming a collection of Chinese colonies.  The US is trying to maintain some diplomatic relations in case something can be done to reverse the process.

That being said, it will be a test of Mattis's diplomatic skills to show some respect towards the autocratic tubby.

Not much of a test. Mattis, like many other officials, deals with such and worse as a matter of routine. They just had Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince for a visit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Its not often, but sometimes I have sympathy for thoughts that history repeats itself. What happened when a Thai PM left for a trip to New York? 

Prayuth been there and returned to tell the tale.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I just never realised Prawit was such a Mattis fan? I always liked that 1957 hit, Twelfth of Never.

Or to please Father Finn "Twelfth of Never" based on old English chldren's song "The Riddle Song"  

• Like 1