20-year strategy not part of plot to stay in power, says PM Prayut

webfact

20-year strategy not part of plot to stay in power, says PM

By THE NATION 

1188cd9f13dba3ab1f739fa284b4b2e4.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday called on all political sides to work together and help avoid interruptions to the country’s progress.

Prayut also said that becoming prime minister was not part of his childhood plans. And he defended his 20-year national strategy, rejecting critics’ claim it was part of a “plot” to let him stay on in power.

“Today all the sides have to work together, otherwise things will go on and off, on and off again all the time,” he said.

“Everyone needs to participate. You don’t just make demands and stage protests.”

Prayut, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), was giving a speech entitled “Chulalongkorn University and the Driving of Thailand During the Transition” at the university’s main auditorium.

The event was attended by the university’s students and lecturers, as well as a number of political activists including junta critics Sombat Boon-ngam-anong and Sirawit Serithiwat.

Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal, a CU student known for his anti-junta stance, was also in the audience. However, he was seated in the hall’s mezzanine, separate from most other audience members.

Appearing with a facemask and ear plugs, Netiwit said it was because he found the place “full of air and noise pollution”. He also wore a mourning band to protest the university management’s decision to invite “a person like this” to give a speech.

What Prayut said had not changed from his past remarks, said Netiwit. “He made jokes and there was no substance in what he said today.”

In a speech that lasted almost an hour, Prayut said nobody could tell whether the country’s current period under military rule would make things better or worse.

“But this government intends to do our best. We aim to ease the conflicts to make things better,” he said.

The PM appeared in a dark business suit and a pink tie, the university’s colour – as he mentioned during his talk.

He said that although his childhood was “far from perfect”, his goal at a young age had been to become a military officer – and hopefully a general before retirement.

“I had no plan to become prime minister,” he said.

Prayut said his government’s 20-year national strategy was aimed at reforming the country in different areas – and not designed to ensure he would remain at the country’s helm.

“Why should I stay on in power for another 20 years? I am 60 now and that’s already old. I need to rest,” he said.

The prime minister later said he has yet to schedule his meeting with representatives from political parties.

“Whenever the election is called, there will definitely be a meeting. Sooner or later, the meeting will take place before the election,” he told reporters at the nearby Siam Square One building.

While Prayut was speaking to media, three CU students appeared nearby carrying sheets of paper bearing the message, “Chula people love Uncle Tu [Dictator]”, and with the words “Uncle Tu” crossed out.

As security officials were attempting to move the protesters, Prayut shouted: “Let them. Don’t harm them. If they don’t understand, let them.” 

While pointing his finger at the students, he said: “You are good. Come out next time when the country is in trouble.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30342863

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-10

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Prayut also said that becoming prime minister was not part of his childhood plans.

guy has totally lost the plot; not a person in the land cares what he thought as a 5 year old;

what we care about is him growing up and , somehow, possessing intelligence

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

As security officials were attempting to move the protesters, Prayut shouted: “Let them. Don’t harm them. If they don’t understand, let them.”

Must have a new spin doctor. Developing an apparent tolerance for protestors is going to be critical for his popularity.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Appearing with a facemask and ear plugs, Netiwit said it was because he found the place “full of air and noise pollution”.

:cheesy:

"20-year strategy not part of plot to stay in power, says PM Prayut"

If so why you need to gazette the plan and obtain royal endorsement. Gazettes are legal notices. Looks more like a well crafted plan for a judiciary intervention if necessary. Nuff say. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“Today all the sides have to work together, otherwise things will go on and off, on and off again all the time,” he said.

Only if the army continuously steps in and takes control.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

How does staging a coup, re-writing a constitution, stacking government bodies with cronies, using the power of Article 44, arresting people for the smallest transgression, etc., etc, constitute "working together"?

The only thing the yellows and reds have agreed on is that the current junta government is not good for the country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

He is actually 65 since March 2018. 4 years younger than Thaksin. Both still young relatively. 

People are becoming far healthier now, so old is not that old anymore.  I am not young but I feel young: bench a lot of weight and run and walk for miles.  I think I will start to feel old when I am dead. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Called on all sides to work together?

How does staging a coup, re-writing a constitution, stacking government bodies with cronies, using the power of Article 44, arresting people for the smallest transgression, etc., etc, constitute "working together"?

Weapons grade hypocrisy.

And of course a blanket amnesty for him and cohorts past present and future, don't forget!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

In thai that is not a lie, he is still in his 60íes. Thai lies have always got me, even the last few days, and never stop being amuzed how easy it is for them to lie about anything, and how easy they can explain it was not a real lie. 

Lieing goes hand in hand with the ridiculous loss of face thing, that Thais staunchly stand by, ie they are never and cannot be seen to be wrong! 

• Like 1