Pattaya throws up two of the brightest students in the land - 100% in Maths and English

webfact

Pattaya throws up two of the brightest students in the land - 100% in Maths and English

5pm.jpg

Pictures: Sophon Cable

Sophon Cable TV reporting on Facebook said that Pattaya was enjoying the reflected glory of two boys who have managed to get 100% in their respective exams.

One is a Thai and one is Filipino and they achieved the perfect scores in tough O-Net tests in the Thai system.

The first is "Cho" or Chotiwat Premprasertsuk a M6 pupil at Photisamphan Pithakarn School who got the top score in Maths.

30127456_1856306571056935_404654608695164928_n.jpg

He said modestly that he just comes from a normal family who insists on hard work at school. He wasn't much into reading outside class but always gave his best at school in lessons.

Like many boys he was not that bothered at school in the early years of secondary education. He really got going between M4 and M6 (the last three years of secondary).

The other to bring glory to Pattaya was Filipino native Yuri Genesis Kapis a Year 3A student at the international program at Thailand Educational Hub. He got 100% in English in an exam that he said was exacting.

He said, too, that his family were strict about education but while phone usage was banned from Monday to Friday weekends were a different matter - he could do as he pleased then.

When it came to homework mum was always on hand to help out.

But key for him was always doing his best in class - and that meant asking the teacher for help whenever he didn't understand.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-10
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Before any mean comments arise, congrats to these  kids !!!....I'm sure they speak better English then most of the grouches here (incl. myself) speak Thai.

I don't know "most", and won't guess about the fluency of anyone I haven't met. That being said, good job young men.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He got 100% in English in an exam that he said was exacting

Did he really say that or did the reporter score around average (25%) on his exam in the past?

[Or am i naking a fool out of myself and is this the correct word?]

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Did he really say that or did the reporter score around average (25%) on his exam in the past?

Google exacting to know and understand what most schools probably don't teach in the United States. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

You can get 100% in a maths exam if you get all the answers right, but I never heard of 100% in a language exam.

It is a written test.... no oral testing..... as such 100% is achievable by a number of students, not just in Pattaya.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

ex·act·ing
iɡˈzaktiNG/
adjective

1. making great demands on one's skill, attention, or other resources.
    "living up to such exacting standards"
    synonyms: demanding, stringent, testing, challenging, onerous, arduous, laborious, taxing, grueling, punishing, hard, tough More

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Before any mean comments arise, congrats to these  kids !!!....I'm sure they speak better English then most of the grouches here (incl. myself) speak Thai.

Actually I have met , just a few  , UK speakers in Pattaya  who to me  -  were completely unintelligible !

Somehow , the bar girls get by making a living and coping with many languages and accents - maybe they should all get a certificate too !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Kid in the top photo looks about 26yrs old :)

That's what i thought, bit like them children that were let into the UK a couple of years back moustache and all of 38 yrs old or thereabouts!

Must add though, well done boys, even rhough one is Filipino,m and in Pattaya too!

Edited by maxcorrigan
more info

8 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

You can get 100% in a maths exam if you get all the answers right, but I never heard of 100% in a language exam.

I can understand some kid who is native English speaking  getting 100% in an English exam set by a Thai examination board as the standard of English spoken by Thai's is very poor grammar wise, what would make things difficult for most kids is top results would depend on the teachers abilities... 

22 hours ago, mvdf said:

Google exacting to know and understand what most schools probably don't teach in the United States. Thank you.

I am not american and not a native english speaker. The world is bigger than the US/UK.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, champers said:

I've just been chatting to a Filipino on the baht bus. His English was better than many of the native speakers I have come accross here. He was on his way to an hotel where he gives English lessons to the staff.

Well, they were an American colony and Americans speak a kind of pidgin English

40 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Well, they were an American colony and Americans speak a kind of pidgin English

1. Yes. 2. No, most Americans speak Standard English perhaps with a regional but still intelligible accent. Hence most Filipinos, not to mention most non-native English speakers, do speak better English than Brits, most of whom speak some dialect, unable to use Received Pronunciation.

Edited by JSixpack

On 4/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, wirat69 said:

It is a written test.... no oral testing..... as such 100% is achievable by a number of students, not just in Pattaya.....

Achievable but seldom is achieved--which is the point of the OP. Check the average scores not just in Pattaya.