Most exciting motorcycle you ever ridden

Moo du

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I think the rear 'skirt' gives it away - a bike for ladies? :whistling: (Not pointing the finger at you).

I also had a T120 Bonneville of the same era, went fairly quick and handled okay. Pity about the ignition timing.

Also the standard issue motorbike for the Police at the time!! And supposedly an engine upon which other Triumphs were based........pity about the average handling!

PS. No offence taken!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I also had a T120 Bonneville of the same era, went fairly quick and handled okay. Pity about the ignition timing.

What a great picture, thanks for sharing, got any more?

I had a similar speed twin, tore all the excess weight off it, fitted crappy light mudguards etc.........I sinned :shock1:

Wish I could go back in time and have the same bike in standard trim........

24 minutes ago, CGW said:

What a great picture, thanks for sharing, got any more?

I had a similar speed twin, tore all the excess weight off it, fitted crappy light mudguards etc.........I sinned :shock1:

Wish I could go back in time and have the same bike in standard trim........

Yes I quite liked the look apart from the carrier on the back (of this one)...........how did you find the handling and top speed?

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

.how did you find the handling and top speed?

I would be lying if I said otherwise! in truth, I don't remember! I was only about 17 when I had this bike, the critique when you had a bike back then was a lot different than it is today, if it started, ran without misfiring and didn't leave a huge pool of oil when parked were more important than handling and braking, the engine was good as I recall, outperformed the frame and brakes!

I still have a picture somewhere of this bike I think, I will take a look today and see if I can find?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry off topic but just been listening to one of my favourite pieces of music..Wait until it is wound up near the end...:stoner:

PS. I was lucky enough to listen to it live....

Magnificient sound! A pity the modern Moto GP bikes aren't allowed to do the same.

And the racing Honda 50cc twin RC116 (about the same era) revved to 21,500 RPM (redline 22,500), I believe. All 16HP of it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Magnificient sound! A pity the modern Moto GP bikes aren't allowed to do the same.

And the racing Honda 50cc twin RC116 (about the same era) revved to 21,500 RPM (redline 22,500), I believe. All 16HP of it.

Think that RC166 6 pot revved to 18/19,000rpm..For 50 years back quite a feat...

My 1964 Honda 250cc racer revved to about 12,000rpm and had an electric starter.....:stoner:

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Think that RC166 6 pot revved to 18/19,000rpm..For 50 years back quite a feat...

When I was about 7 years old I used to love visiting one on our relatives as older cousin had LP records "sounds of the Isle of man" plus others, we used to sit and listen to the sound of the bikes roaring round the Island - wild times indeed! - not too many folks with TV back then :smile:

Probably one of the reasons I have always been a "petrol head"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CGW said:

When I was about 7 years old I used to love visiting one on our relatives as older cousin had LP records "sounds of the Isle of man" plus others, we used to sit and listen to the sound of the bikes roaring round the Island - wild times indeed! - not too many folks with TV back then :smile:

Probably one of the reasons I have always been a "petrol head"

Back in the 60's I watched Mike Hailwood at Brands Hatch on his Honda RC166 250cc 6 pot..Fab stuff...:smile:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CGW said:

if it started, ran without misfiring and didn't leave a huge pool of oil when parked were more important than handling and braking,

So true, as the Triumphs, AJS and others of that time had the same British bike faults..........oil leaks!!!

PS. And when "ticking over" were very erratic.....like they had a piston missing!

Edited by xylophone

52 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

Funny! but true!

Only those that with experience of "Lucas" would comprehend this :smile: They really did have some dire products :saai:

If you were going for more than a five mile "run" it was always wise to take a set of feeler gauges with you! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Back in the 60's I watched Mike Hailwood at Brands Hatch on his Honda RC166 250cc 6 pot..Fab stuff...:smile:

Fab rider.

And back in the early 60's I also had many IOM TT, LP records.

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

Funny! but true!

Only those that with experience of "Lucas" would comprehend this :smile: They really did have some dire products :saai:

If you were going for more than a five mile "run" it was always wise to take a set of feeler gauges with you! :thumbsup:

"dire" is an understatement!  

At this point of the thread, I have a confession to make. I have to get it out of my chest, and I guess only

a motorcyclist, can feel me.

In 09 I was living at a nice minimal room at the edge of Patong. (photo)

I took a walk at beach road, and I noticed several bikes, asking to be hired. The CBR s were very provocative.

They started showing off their huge back tires, flashing their shiny ferings, even whispered to me dirty words,

throught their remus hexacones.

I couldnt resist. I went with all of them. I started with the CBR600F4. Smooth.Gentle.Able to do anything I ask.

Then I took the CBR600RR. A passionate bike, that made me a better rider. The red black costume makes it

a winner at a beauty contest. Then I got the CBR400RR. Although petite, shows character  after 9000 r/pm.

I saved my money, for the CBR1000RR 2016. Thick, secure , asking for respect on the throttle.

At this point I realised I had turned Phuket into -my- Isle of Man. I must have done the round of Phuket

100 times, in one week. Talking about Amazing Thailand, its up to you, what you make out of it.

Dedicated to all the cool people sharing their moto experiences, memories and opinions. Keep on posting,

motorcyclists are enjoying your posts.

Photo-0057.jpg

• Like 2