Raining in Chiang Mai

EricTh

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's raining heavily now and will continue for rest of the week.

Really, we have had no rain in our part of Hang Dong since last week.Plenty of thunder,wind ,tree branches down but I repeat no rain.

You cant cover CM with broad brush when it comes to rain.It can be raining in the city and a few kms out dry as a bone or vice versa.

This is quite normal for this time of the year until a solid, wide low front covers the north of the country that  brings continuos rain.

Patience is the key.Forecasts are unreliable

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Really, we have had no rain in our part of Hang Dong since last week.Plenty of thunder,wind ,tree branches down but I repeat no rain.

You cant cover CM with broad brush when it comes to rain.It can be raining in the city and a few kms out dry as a bone or vice versa.

In my place here in Sansai, I had rain yesterday night and  afternoon today, it lasted less than 30 minutes but still cooling.

Edited by EricTh

At about 4pm today a massive storm front passed thru Mae Rim.

Very strong winds and horizontal rain. I was expecting a coconut tree to blow over and knock out the neighbours water Tower.  I've never seen the coconut trees sway so much.

The missus said that the only got the wind in Chiang Mai. 

Certainly dropped the temp which is nice. Power went out for 4 hours in the outskirts of Mae Rim but I'd suggest it was very localised.

Had some crazy weather the last week

9 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

At about 4pm today a massive storm front passed thru Mae Rim.

Very strong winds and horizontal rain. I was expecting a coconut tree to blow over and knock out the neighbours water Tower.  I've never seen the coconut trees sway so much.

The missus said that the only got the wind in Chiang Mai. 

Certainly dropped the temp which is nice. Power went out for 4 hours in the outskirts of Mae Rim but I'd suggest it was very localised.

Had some crazy weather the last week

Yes very localized.  I was in the Mae Rim area at that time and no big wind or rain or Power outage.

About that time I drove to the post office (city centre), really strong gusts of wind. Traffic was quite jammed, people getting irate with me behind because every time the traffic stopped I was leaving huge gaps instead of having to wait in line stationery under a big tree. Sure enough huge branch came down in the gap I had left in front of me as we were waiting; that shut up all the hooters behind me! SaaJai, as they say in Thai.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Where in Mae Rim, it's only 443 square kilometres! :post-4641-1156694572:

Not sure where Dante resides but I'm up near Sala Cafe. It's about 3km west of Mae Rim township.

Sometimes you can be very close to the downpour and not see a single drop.

I've visited friends who live just off the 107 to find on returning that the 107 roadway had been flooded.

Quite unique weather here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Not sure where Dante resides but I'm up near Sala Cafe. It's about 3km west of Mae Rim township.

Sometimes you can be very close to the downpour and not see a single drop.

I've visited friends who live just off the 107 to find on returning that the 107 roadway had been flooded.

Quite unique weather here.

Mae Rim is prone to microburst activity. Super cool weather if you live in a strong house.

22 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Hmmm, I'm in  the flats also, this is a daunting prospect.

Did you sleep okay last night?

Are you feeling okay today?

Is there air in your tires?

Good rain last night?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Flooding at San Sai, Mooban road about 6 inches underwater and one of our mango trees has fallen over.

Yes, rain has started here about 2 hours ago and still going on.

My place has been raining since around 7 pm last night and still going on this morning at 8 am. 

I got a power tripped during heavy rain, I wonder why. It only happened in one of the fuse. But it was ok when the rain drizzled back.

This has got to be the longest rain period since the rainy season last year. That's more than 12 hours.

Edited by EricTh

Yes I got caught out Tuesday evening from about 6:30.  Was going to attend the Mae Rim Tuesday market but the storm from the South arrived.

Torrential rain would have put off a lot of punters and annoyed the stall holders.

Had a few drinks with fellow expats at a ma and pa shop instead. Waited until about 8pm for a break in the downpour before jumping on the scooter and heading home.

Seems to have rained all night and it's continuing now.

Will have to start up the lawnmower in the next few days I think....it's growing fast.

Edited by CMKiwi