minimum age to drive motorbike in Thailand

notrub

My 15 years old son got his license some months ago. 15 years is the minimum age. The license is good for motorcycles up to 90cc (which is clearly marked on the back side of the license card).

He drives a 125cc motorcycle and he was stopped by the police several times. They accepted his 90cc license.

There also is a minimum age for a more than 90cc license. It may be 18 or 20 years. I'm not sure. Probably somebody else knows better than me.

Edited by thecaveman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On June 9, 2559

The age of the person wishing to obtain a driver's license.

1. 1.
    Personal temporary motorcycle license Must be aged at least 18 years of age.
  2. 2.
    Personal temporary driving license Must be aged at least 18 years of age.
  3. 3.
    Public car driving license Tricycle driver's license, car parks Must be aged at least 22 years of age.
  4. 4.
    Public motorcycle license Must be aged at least 20 years of age.
  5. 5.
    Driving rollers Driving tractor Driver's license and vehicle type, pursuant to section 43 must be aged at least 18 years of age.

Note
, however, if a request for a temporary motorcycle license. For cylinder motorcycle with a total of 110 cubic centimeters. Must be aged at least 15 years of age.

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/driving-license/view.php?_did=78

Edited by Bangkokazy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

You only need to see the children arriving at school, some as young as 7 riding motorbikes with 2 passengers, and there's a policeman directing traffic right outside the school! Obviously a blind eye is turned.

And they wonder why traffic fatalities are so high! But they won't tell you the age or types that I've seen, they just say higher than last year etc..... Coming from the USA, age to drive on the road is sixteen with a drivers licence no matter bike (with helmet) or car. So, I image someone here would say they ride the SIDEWALK, well the sidewalk is for walking not motorized vehicles or pedals. I wonder how many people get hit by motorized bikes on the sidewalk???

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thecaveman said:

My 15 years old son got his license some months ago. 15 years is the minimum age. The license is good for motorcycles up to 90cc (which is clearly marked on the back side of the license card).

He drives a 125cc motorcycle and he was stopped by the police several times. They accepted his 90cc license.

There also is a minimum age for a more than 90cc license. It may be 18 or 20 years. I'm not sure. Probably somebody else knows better than me.

Like Trans I always thought it was 110cc. Anyway, what motorbikes are 90cc or under?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jmacken306 said:

And they wonder why traffic fatalities are so high! But they won't tell you the age or types that I've seen, they just say higher than last year etc..... Coming from the USA, age to drive on the road is sixteen with a drivers licence no matter bike (with helmet) or car. So, I image someone here would say they ride the SIDEWALK, well the sidewalk is for walking not motorized vehicles or pedals. I wonder how many people get hit by motorized bikes on the sidewalk???

It is certainly kept quiet, anyone witnessed or know personally about anyone being hit by an motorbike riding on the sidewalk?

• Thanks 1

life is very cheap in thailand--i cant understand why the people have "little value" to their lives..

ie. adults and worse still, kids on mbikes without helmets, driving mbike with one hand,whilst using the phone.

riding sidesaddle{balancing on motorbike}.

even mbike taxi drivers think its ok to drink and drive{not all,of coarse}

red  traffic lights are reguarly ignored..

this is all rather amazing to me....

its definitely not rocket science to wear a crash helmet etc

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jmacken306 said:

I wonder how many people get hit by motorized bikes on the sidewalk???

Most Thai jump aside when a motobike drives on the sidewalk...i don't do it though and they always top for me....maybe my size has to do with that, dunnow.

• Confused 1

Just now, Thian said:

Most Thai jump aside when a motobike drives on the sidewalk...i don't do it though and they always top for me....maybe my size has to do with that, dunnow.

They might stop for you if they see you, but there's always going to be one reading a text message on his mobile.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

They might stop for you if they see you, but there's always going to be one reading a text message on his mobile.

When i see them coming i'll walk in the middle of the sidewalk so at least they have to slow down for me. Mostly they are very young kinds though. I wonder what will happen if they really drive into me and i have to go to a hospital...they are not insured so who'll pay the bill? Daddy?

• Confused 1