minimum age to drive motorbike in Thailand

notrub

3 minutes ago, Bangkokazy said:

Motorcycle insurance is only 1699 THB per year so I don´t understand why people driving without insurance

1699 baht may be a lot of money for someone earning 300 baht a day, or not working at all.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

1699 baht may be a lot of money for someone earning 300 baht a day, or not working at all

you're right there's a lot of money for those who do not have it

USP 1170638.jpg

Edited by Bangkokazy

We are out a rural village. School buses pick up most children. It seems the middle school bans parking motos at school. There are very few. 

A post not long ago sums it up. He could take the bus BUT it doesn’t stop at the Internet store on the way home.....their justification 

• Like 1

As soon as a kid can reach the throttle and pedals.

Considering there are no cops on the roads, especially in rural Thailand, then 'age' to totally irrelevant.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, murraynz said:

life is very cheap in thailand--i cant understand why the people have "little value" to their lives..

Because like most westerners in Thailand you don't understand even the very basics of the Thai psyche in regards to dying. A Thai persons view of death is very different to that in Western cultures. Buddhists believe that the departed are not really gone but in another state from which the departed can help the living. They accept the inevitability of death and don't believe death is the end and the spirit just leaves the body and reconnects to another body.

In much of India the death of a loved one is celebrated.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, murraynz said:

kids on mbikes without helmets, driving mbike with one hand,whilst using the phone.

riding sidesaddle{balancing on motorbike}.

There kids, kids due stupid things, I know I did, I used to ride my bike all day never had a helmet. Stand on my seat while riding my bike, no hands etc. 

As for the adults, some have very little education!

• Like 1

If you ask the village boss , according to Thai tradition they start at 10 .  The local police will just make sure the kid get all the blessings he need from the monks and off he goes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Because like most westerners in Thailand you don't understand even the very basics of the Thai psyche in regards to dying. A Thai persons view of death is very different to that in Western cultures. Buddhists believe that the departed are not really gone but in another state from which the departed can help the living. They accept the inevitability of death and don't believe death is the end and the spirit just leaves the body and reconnects to another body.

In much of India the death of a loved one is celebrated.

The boundless stupidity of religion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

There kids, kids due stupid things, I know I did, I used to ride my bike all day never had a helmet. Stand on my seat while riding my bike, no hands etc. 

As for the adults, some have very little education!

Seems to fascinate the Millennial Snowflakes posters. A tour of Nam,Falklans or the Gulf would have shut em up.There only Kids , let em learn the hard way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

There were no buses in your school area if it was too far to walk?  Sure.

Yes there were buses that I had a long walk to get too..

What did Thai folk do before m/cycles ..?

Mrs.Trans says they walked, and scanned the roadside for herbs to give mum..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

As I was talking about the area that he was in when he was at school, presumably they'd get the bus or walk.

And they can do exactly the same here in Thailand.... The provision for the 'underage' (or undersized) to get to school... Parents take them, buses, Songtaews etc...  (and the same in the UK - if beyond walking distance, buses, or parents take them and pick them up).

The need for an underage person to ride a motorcycle is one of convenience, not one of necessity. 

[Trans may have been issued with a mini-V8 gokart]

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

And they can do exactly the same here in Thailand.... The provision for the 'underage' (or undersized) to get to school... Parents take them, buses, Songtaews etc...  (and the same in the UK - if beyond walking distance, buses, or parents take them and pick them up).

The need for an underage person to ride a motorcycle is one of convenience, not one of necessity. 

Nooooo, but I must admit at 15 l went to work after school, saved the cash and bought a Lambretta...I rode it to school, yes underage, but had no dad to chastise me...:stoner:

4 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

It was 17 in Norway for a Car 16 for Scooter small Mo Bike, same as England in the late 50/60 era.

Yep motorcycle 16 year old UK leaner with 'L' plates up to 250cc pass your test and ride anything.

Motorcycle with a sidecar 16 year old UK leaner any size c.c. put L plates and you could have a passengers in sidecar and on the back seat who did not have a M/C DL.

I educated a lot of ordinary police on that one. :laugh: :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yep motorcycle 16 year old UK leaner with 'L' plates up to 250cc pass your test and ride anything.

Motorcycle with a sidecar 16 year old UK leaner any size c.c. put L plates and you could have a passengers in sidecar and on the back seat who did not have a M/C DL.

I educated a lot of ordinary police on that one. :laugh: :thumbsup:

Yeh, I got nicked for speeding as a learner with a passenger, wanted to nick me for carrying a passenger before asking him if he had a full license, which he had..bored.gif.d9d056b802060dea6a1291fa59e54bdc.gif

1 minute ago, transam said:

Yeh, I got nicked for speeding as a learner with a passenger, wanted to nick me for carrying a passenger before asking him if he had a full license, which he had..bored.gif.d9d056b802060dea6a1291fa59e54bdc.gif

Putting sidecar on the Panther enable me to ride with passengers as a 16 year old learner, doubt if it still applies in UK now.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not disputing that, or necessarily agreeing with any of that; I responded to a comment from transam about his not being provided with a motorbike to get to school when he definitely had access to buses.

Just now, Just Weird said:

I'm not disputing that, or necessarily agreeing with any of that; I responded to a comment from transam about his not being provided with a motorbike to get to school when he definitely had access to buses.

You are twisting stuff......

I can tell you that underage kids in my area ride a m/bike to school when it would take them ten minutes to walk.....Wadya think about that...?

• Confused 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, transam said:

When I was a kid in the UK I had to get to school....Were we all supplied with m/cycles...?

Comparing the UK with Thailand?

Thailand is another country and doesn't use UK laws.

She is getting along pretty well as it is. :drunk:

• Like 2