Local Mechanic vs Official Dealer

Need a variety of work done on a Honda Click and wondered the difference in prices and service between a local mechanic and the official Honda shop.

Main thing I need is a service as it’s due an oil change, needs a new back tyre and wanted the breaks checked.

Also wanted some parts replaced that are worn out/damaged but don’t effect how it drives.

Which service would you recommend? Is there much difference in prices between the two?

Local mechanic if its just an oil change and new back tyre.. Try to get a recommendation from someone, one they have used and been happy with.. 

Take the oil and tyre with you and just ask them to do the job, shouldn't be more than couple hundred baht..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Which service would you recommend? Is there much difference in prices between the two?

If you said where you are located there maybe members here who could help with the local mechanic choice.

From what you say I would take it to a Honda main dealer they usually cost more but not by any large amounts.

I can service a bike myself but still chose get it serviced at Honda recently for 510 bht.

• Like 1

Which local dealer ? You want a blanket recommendation when no one knows where your are, where the 'local' dealer is.

He may be a complete moron, he may be gods gift to wrenches.

How do we know ?

How do you know ? - as said above, local recommendations rule in this country.

Had a zipper repaired today. Asked at the Talat, they said go to this guy. If you did not know where to go you would never find him. No sign, nuttin' - total cost 80 baht, and that included the zipper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Which local dealer ? You want a blanket recommendation when no one knows where your are, where the 'local' dealer is.

He may be a complete moron, he may be gods gift to wrenches.

How do we know ?

How do you know ? - as said above, local recommendations rule in this country.

Had a zipper repaired today. Asked at the Talat, they said go to this guy. If you did not know where to go you would never find him. No sign, nuttin' - total cost 80 baht, and that included the zipper.

I'm living in a small town in Isaan 100km from the nearest city. The chances of a Thaivisa member who both lives here, happens to read this thread, and is able to advise me between a local and the Honda garage within a few days are very slim.

I meant generally speaking. I assumed going to Honda to get the work done would be of a higher standard but wasn't sure at what cost, and whether it was worth paying the extra.

But seems my questions been answered.

Before , I had a Honda wave and one day, I had a puncture; I came to the nearest local mecanics and he looked at the motocycle much more than the official honda store

he was an ancient Honda staff, knew everything and later replaced spare parts for much cheaper, then I came to this guy everytime

but now I have a bigger scooter ( yamaha nmax 155 ), and I don't know if he can repair it ( are these small local garages can take care of big scooters ? )

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

but now I have a bigger scooter ( yamaha nmax 155 ), and I don't know if he can repair it ( are these small local garages can take care of big scooters ? )

They most likely can, I ditched our Yamaha shop for a local mechanic after the Yamaha guy was rude to my wife. I always get my R15 serviced there now.

• Like 1

A local guy will probably fit a cheap tyre. I get my tyres from the Honda service and I ride a Suzuki.

The Honda tyres are twice the price and four times the life. Pretty much anyone can be trusted with an oil change.

If it is a tubeless tyre, take it to Honda. Most of these back road shops have never seen tubeless on a motorbike and will destroy your rims as they will almost certainly not have the correct tools to remove or refit. ( I know, I have been there and never again)

• Like 1

My Forza goes in to GWH about 20k from here for everything but the Vios goes to a local chap . About 3 weeks ago a yellow warning light came , he plugged in his computer , took a connector of the air intake took out something ,cleaned it and no charge . Once when he cleaned and checked the brakes he used a torque wrench on putting back the wheels.

Before this the engine was making the wrong sort of noise.  He said water pump.  He came back in the car to my house took the car away ,fitted a new pump and we picked it up next day , 1500B. Don't know what a main dealer would of charged.

On 19/04/2018 at 12:44 PM, cyril sneer said:

I'm living in a small town in Isaan 100km from the nearest city. The chances of a Thaivisa member who both lives here, happens to read this thread, and is able to advise me between a local and the Honda garage within a few days are very slim.

You'd probably be surprised.

I think these farang bush dwellers that strive to hide their whereabouts in Isaan and claim to be the only farang for miles around are quaint.

They're typically wrong as well.

But back on topic: asking the locals which hole-in-the-wall bike shop is best should get the OP hooked up with someone that will do the business with new parts for a decent price. Plenty bike shops in the sticks but like anything else, some are better than others and some can be total disasters with scavenged parts and even swapping good bits off your bike for older, worn bits. There must be a 'Lao' form for caveat emptor.

On 19/04/2018 at 6:44 PM, cyril sneer said:

I meant generally speaking. I assumed going to Honda to get the work done would be of a higher standard but wasn't sure at what cost, and whether it was worth paying the extra.

But seems my questions been answered.

I hate to surprise you but I also live in Isaan and I have a Honda Click and a Yamaha Mio plus an Isuzu pick up and I have had different results from local mechanics and dealer workshops, I had one local mechanic who pull off the clutch master cylinder because the engine was lacking power. I had another local mechanic put new piston and rings in the Yamaha Mio for 2200baht and it has never missed a beat since. I also have many farang friends here in Isaan who also have many different makes of bikes. If we know where in Isaan you are then maybe we can help you with the knowledge of the places that we use.

All depends on the engineer or mechanic

They make or break your car.

Dealer or non dealer.

I have had many dealers mechanics some are good some are bad.

Now I use non dealer mechanics and they also have the same pride and knowledge.

This is after the warranty period of 100.000 km or so many years.

The 100.000 km marker came first.

Let's see, oil change...

Stop engine

Put bike on centre stand

Remove oil fill cap

Place oil receptical under sump plug

Remove sump plug

Drain all old oil

Replace sump plug, ensuring washer in place

Refill with new oil, to high mark on dip stick, or sight glass

Refit oil fill cap

Main Honda dealer or local mechanic ? It is a tricky one :)

• Like 1

I would use a local mechanic purely because it is convenient and it is a pretty good shop I have nearby. 

A service is trivial, as is checking the brakes on these bikes..

Dealers  tend to be more expensive but you can't be sure until you ask. My place, well I have the idea they wouldn't dream of charging me extra purely because I am a farang, and that is refreshing!

Edited by jacko45k

As others have said. As a generalization go to the dealer. Their prices are only marginally higher than shade tree mechanics and you're less likely to get a nasty surprise. That said, choose a large dealer. 

I bought my Honda Click new from franchised dealer in my town. I take it there for the 4000km checks ;pricing is very reasonable and they know me. I've also had several minor collision repairs done (!) and have  been more than satisfied with the return time, workmanship, and parts/labor cost. 

I don't have a lot of experience but from little I have seen is that the dealers tend to want to replace parts a bit too quickly than local shop. A good mechanic tries to check a part and see if it is at fault or need changing and if it is the cause of a certain problem. Also tries to repair if it easily can be repaired and could work well. The dealers just start replacing parts until the problem is resolved or you say something... !

Edited by Agusts