Tour company owner arrested after Thais dumped in Osaka

webfact

Tour company owner arrested after Thais dumped in Osaka

By The Nation

19-_180419_0108-1024x684.jpg

Picture: Thai Tourist police

The owner of a Thai tour company has been arrested for deceiving 33 tourists left abandoned in Osaka, Japan, in early February.

Tourist Police deputy chief Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal said on Thursday that Sonthaya Phosri, 35, had been arrested the day before under a warrant issued by the Thonburi district court.

He was charged with cheating 33 Thai tourists out of a combined Bt1.184 million by promising them a guided tour of Osaka from February 2-6.

When the Thais arrived in Osaka, the owner of the coach chartered to ferry them around the city demanded transportation fees, which were supposed to have been included in the package for which they paid Sonthaya.

The coach owner dumped the group at a restaurant and drove off with their luggage and passports.

Osaka police helped them recover their belongings, but they had to pay for accommodations and food, an amount topping Bt134,700, while waiting to return to Thailand on February 6 and file a police complaint.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343466

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

134,700 Bt for 4 days accommodations and food for 33 people in Osaka is 1020 Bt a day per person.

Less than I spend here.

That's far too cheap for Osaka...they must have gotten discount.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Agree, 1600 to 2000 baht upwards for buffet lunch in a hotel is about the norm with a couple of glasses of whatever.

For 1-2 nights it would be possible...

My wife keeps asking me to go on a thai grouptour to japan, now i'm 100% sure i won't do it...better go ourselves or with a grouptour from my homecountry.

I wonder what my Dutch travelinsurance would say if this happened to me and my wife.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

For 1-2 nights it would be possible...

My wife keeps asking me to go on a thai grouptour to japan, now i'm 100% sure i won't do it...better go ourselves or with a grouptour from my homecountry.

I wonder what my Dutch travelinsurance would say if this happened to me and my wife.

We've never used group tours always done it on our own. Last time in Kobe and it's so easy to get anywhere using the amazing train system.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Media1 said:

l had pro fights in Japan 15 years ago..Yes it's impossible there's a mistake..Its called a journalist 

You can't believe a word of the Thai journalists....and sure not a number....